Help With Generic MP3

Santz24

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Well, my little brother got a 512Mb Generic MP3 player for his birthday last week, it looks exactly like this:

http://www.tecknet-online.co.uk/ebay%20Pictures/MP3/6110/PHOTOSHOW2.gif

Anyway, my problem is, when i plug it into the computer it dosent detect it(yes i use XP) and i have to tamper about lying upside down on the floor playing around with the MP3 menu till i press some icon that makes the computer detect the MP3 player.
But when it detects it, instead of showing me a storage drive like these players normally do, where i can just drag & drop songs, the assistant for installing new hardware comes up, i let it run but it ends up finding no controller for it and saying there was a problem with the installation, and indeed there was, as the player still dosent appear as a removable drive in My PC!

I was thinking there might be some sort of driver, software or something that can simply reset the whole mp3 and reinstall the firmware, because this one is crazy.
Did i note that it only displays the first menu in english? after i go to "settings" the icons show and undernead the writing are strange symbols...

Thanks for your time

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
The website you linked to shows that there is software available for download for this item. It's listed at the bottom of this page.

I would suggest installing the software first, then try connecting it to the PC.

There is also a firmware download available. You might want to try updating that as well.

Santz24

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
i want to put the firmware again, ive downloaded it from that website, its a .bin file, how do i install that on the player?

Santz24

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
well, ive contacted them but it looks like they will take ages to reply... does anyone else know how to install the firmware as a .bin file onto the player? thanks.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
The website you linked to shows that there is software available for download for this item. It's listed at the bottom of this page.

I would suggest installing the software first, then try connecting it to the PC.

There is also a firmware download available. You might want to try updating that as well.

If you haven't done so, download and install the driver on the same page before trying it update the firmware. If you've never updated firmware, be very careful. It's my understanding if the update doesn't work, the device itself may not work. You may have to update the firmware directly from the website. I have a Logitec remote that to upgrade the firmware I have to plug the remote into the computer via a USB port and then do the update directly from the site rather than downloading and installing it.

steckman

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
I have one of those USB remotes from Logitech too, and techincally what you are downloading from the website is a configuration file and not new firmware. Also, most embedded devices have a buffer that you fill when updating the firmware, and then it swaps the buffer over the existing firmware when the transmission is done. And it usually has a capacitor with enough power to ensure that the firmware swap will complete. Anyway, I know that's a little off-topic ... just the thoughts that were running through my head while I read your post.

TRENDING THREADS