New to PC building, need advice

Ayrizza

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
I need to get a new system with a 1200-1600 budget. I use photoshop, flash, some maya (not enough so that I have to get it to run smoothly all the time, but enough for it to run ok), and gaming. I also plan to overclock, but know very little about it. And I don't know much about most of the technical stuff, especialy on the motherboard and ram.

For Processor I am trying to decide between Athlon 64 x2 4200 and the Opteron 170.
For motherboard I was looking at the DFI Lanparty UT, it seems like it has alot of overclocking possibilities from what people say on there. It does seem a bit pricey for a motherboard, but I have the money for it. Also I would have to get an ATI graphics card, which I was thinking nvidia was better, but again, I don't know much about it.

Also I thought about wating for AM2 which is less than a month away, but I just moved and have no computer at my house, so I don't think I'm going to, and the prices seem like they are going to be high on it anyways for a while, and it dosen't seem like it's going to be a huge speed boost right away, so the only reason I would get it is to be able to upgrade in the future, which dosen't seem that worth it.

smedlin

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
I would choose the X2 (well, actually, i just built and did choose an X2). Duel core is where it's going to be "at", both in gamming and in application. Sometime soon (next year?) the quad core chips will be out...

I've never used DFI, but from what I have read, they are not for beginners. But like I said, I've never used one. I've always stuck with Asus.

I agree on not waiting for AM2. The intial chips will be expensive, hard to find, and will be minium gains over current 939's.

Besides, if you buidl now, then upgrade in say two years...odds are most of your "new" stuff you will not be able to use in a few years (did that make sense?)

Ayrizza

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
I have plenty of people that know more about computer hardware that could help with setting up the motherboard so how advanced it is to set up shoulden't be a problem.

I think that ram (especialy for overclocking) depends on what type of processor and motherboard I get, so I also need some advice on that. I am planning to get 2 1gig sticks, but would it be better to get 4 512's, does that make lower latancy? if it does then I don't see a reason not to.

edit...
I don't plan on using the dual GPU that the lanparty offers, I don't think that is what is making the price so high though, so it dosen't seem like asive big loss, and if that is what is making it so expensive I will get a cheaper mobo.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
I have plenty of people that know more about computer hardware that could help with setting up the motherboard so how advanced it is to set up shoulden't be a problem.

I think that ram (especialy for overclocking) depends on what type of processor and motherboard I get, so I also need some advice on that. I am planning to get 2 1gig sticks, but would it be better to get 4 512's, does that make lower latancy? if it does then I don't see a reason not to.

edit...
I don't plan on using the dual GPU that the lanparty offers, I don't think that is what is making the price so high though, so it dosen't seem like asive big loss, and if that is what is making it so expensive I will get a cheaper mobo.

I would get 2x 1GB for future upgrading. The $122 Lanparty Ultra D is all about overclocking. It is a great board for that. Get the Opteron 165 or 170. Both will overclock better and run cooler than any X2.

The_Rev

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
Here's a route you may want to consider (prices taken from newegg as best I can remember):

Pentium D 805 ~ $130
i975x Mobo ~ $230
X1900XT ~ $403 (mobo combo price on newegg)
2GB Corsair XMS DDR2 ~ $278
250GB Seagate HDD ~ $100
Antec Sonata II Case/PSU ~ $100

Those are the main components and it puts you well within your budget range. The big story today is how the PD805 overclocks to obscene levels (3.8GHz on air), so it represents tremendous value for the price tag. The better news is that the i975x mobo will leave you ready for a Conroe upgrade (assuming you get your hands on the latest revision), so you can build now and still have the ability to upgrade later (which is something not really possible with the s939 AMDs).

Ayrizza

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
If I get an intel, and am going to spend that much on a motherboard woulden't a supermicro motherboard be a better option? Or are they not as good for overclocking? I know they are built for servers, but that dosen't mean they can't be used for home (atleast, I don't see a reason why it dosen't), and then if I do upgrade to conroe I can still use the old processor (atleast I think I can, or do both processors have to be the same for you to dual them?).

I read the article earlier but kinda disregarded it becuase I thought it would require alot of cooling (but now after looking at it now it seems it can be done with a normal cooling system). Also it does take alot of power as people have pointed out, I usualy leave my computer up 24/7, so does anyone know how much power it uses while idle? also is it going to be hard to overclock it that much, cause like I said I hardly know anything about it now.

The_Rev

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
I don't know much about server mobos, but for what you save on the video card with the combo price of the Intel BOXD975X (found here), it's a great deal... In fact it's such a great deal, newegg is now sold out of them (they weren't yesterday)... Restock ETA: 5/15/06... My bad...

Looks like overclocking an 805 is a breeze... Don't even have to mess with voltages until you get in the 3.6-3.8GHz range. It does consume its fair share of power though.