Questions about P-D 805

UndreadKlocked

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
up until this weekend I have been running a PIV 3.06 @ 3.5 with 2 gig of DDR400, and a ATI XL800 x8 agp card. I had a unfortunate mishap plugging in a data cable for my new L7 mortarola phone which shorted out my boards Southbridge chip pretty bad as to the point you can see the actual chip on the board bubbling up from inside out.

Now I dont want want purchase a whole new sysetem and have been shopping all weeked looking for ideas on what to next.

Considering the article about the 805 chip, I was going to purchase a

ASUS P5VD1-X Via VT880 Ultra Pentium D/P4/Celeron 1066FSB LGA775 DDR ATX Motherboard w/Audio, Gigabit LAN, RAID/Serial ATA Retail
533/800/1066FSB, ATA/133, 4DDR DIMM, AGP 8X, 1 PCI Express x16, 3PCI, USB 2.0, Audio, Gigabit LAN, RAID/SATA

and also getting the P-D 805 chip also, I figure this will run me about $200 max and should be able to use all my other good components from my burnt out system.

I did have a few other questions perhaps this community can help with.

Such as do you think using DDR and not DDR2 memory will impact the overclock of this chip?

I am using High end air cooling I may not be able to push 4.0 out with this cooling but figure at least around 3.8 what do you all think?

has anyone had any experince using this ASUS motherboard and there feedback on its overclocking ablitys?

I may just go ahead and what I can pull off with this setup either way I will post my final results if and when I do.

drn00bslayer

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
you realize that ddr and ddr2 are not compatible at all. if you want to use your ddr memory you need to buy an AMD system (and be quick about it; AM2 is coming out)

UndreadKlocked

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
hmm the Motherboard I posted above supports regular-DDR not DDR2... one of my questions was will this affect the overclock of a Pent D 805

the last time I owened AMD was a DX/2-80 more than 10+ years ago.
nothing against AMD but the solution I posted above should work.

Oh god VIA - RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!

Overclocking wont be limited by ram type aslong as you underclock it or lower the ratios.

Dont expect speeds they did, batches vary and heat is another issue.

up until this weekend I have been running a PIV 3.06 @ 3.5 with 2 gig of DDR400, and a ATI XL800 x8 agp card. I had a unfortunate mishap plugging in a data cable for my new L7 mortarola phone which shorted out my boards Southbridge chip pretty bad as to the point you can see the actual chip on the board bubbling up from inside out.

Now I dont want want purchase a whole new sysetem and have been shopping all weeked looking for ideas on what to next.

Considering the article about the 805 chip, I was going to purchase a

ASUS P5VD1-X Via VT880 Ultra Pentium D/P4/Celeron 1066FSB LGA775 DDR ATX Motherboard w/Audio, Gigabit LAN, RAID/Serial ATA Retail
533/800/1066FSB, ATA/133, 4DDR DIMM, AGP 8X, 1 PCI Express x16, 3PCI, USB 2.0, Audio, Gigabit LAN, RAID/SATA

and also getting the P-D 805 chip also, I figure this will run me about $200 max and should be able to use all my other good components from my burnt out system.

I did have a few other questions perhaps this community can help with.

Such as do you think using DDR and not DDR2 memory will impact the overclock of this chip?

I am using High end air cooling I may not be able to push 4.0 out with this cooling but figure at least around 3.8 what do you all think?

has anyone had any experince using this ASUS motherboard and there feedback on its overclocking ablitys?

I may just go ahead and what I can pull off with this setup either way I will post my final results if and when I do.

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
Hey undread:

I dont know if you want to hear this or not but...

I have a feeling you dont want to spend alot of money, and the CPU you have right now is more then enough for all of todays games, including the new games that require a physics engine to play.

Dont waste your money upgrading right now, instead buy a New Asus P4P800-E Deluxe, slap it in and be done with it, then just save up your money and buy a new core when you can afford to do it right.

IMO in order to get the most out of the D805 you will need a very strong power supply, in the range of 500 true wattage, and some water cooling action, which is a pain in the ass, (unless you get a self contained low matenance unit), and isnt cheap to do, if you dont water cool it, then the whole idea isnt worth your time or effort.

Go here for great prices on Hardware.
http://www.pricewatch.com

Take my advice.

UndreadKlocked

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
well tell the truth is the board I fried was a P4P800 E-Deluxe... Nice board and served me well.

I thought about this both ways---

my previous setup before zap and burn---

PIV 3.06 @ 3.53
ATI xl800 x8 agp
2 gig OCZ DDR400/paired

Now I know I was not using my memory to its full potential cause of the CPU bus being to slow. I am really in need of a brand new system ....

I should move on to DDR2 PCI-X and a Duelly or 64 bit cpu..

I just figure I still have a lot of useful componets left such as the Vid Card and Memory and my current case and drives.

1.) $200 get 805 D chip and mother board that supports AGP and PCI-X
this give me room to upgrade at a later time to a new Graphics card can always throw in another CPU down the road also. Give me good chance of testing my OC'ing skillz... think i can pull off 3.8 at least.

2.) $115 i can just replace my old P4P800-E Deluxe-- and go back to what i was doing, but this will NOT give me any room for minor upgrades in future. Which I like to do.

I am the type of person I have 2 spare PIV 1.6A sitting around with a couple of mobo's and case's and drives, I easyily enough took a old ASUS P4B/533 sitting around and got my pc back up.

Really considering the article on what they did with the 805 I wanted a go at it. so for $75 more I get upgrade pontential and possiblly a awesome overclock experience.

If anything wish me luck with my next adventure casue its already ordered!

Thanks for the feedback tho.. I am expericed but not a expert this is a hobby for me afterall.

UndreadKlocked

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
XeenRecoil said:
IMO in order to get the most out of the D805 you will need a very strong power supply, in the range of 500 true wattage, and some water cooling action, which is a pain in the ass, (unless you get a self contained low matenance unit), and isnt cheap to do, if you dont water cool it, then the whole idea isnt worth your time or effort.
I have thought on water cooling for some time, figured the best way to get the most out of it is to put my own loop of componets together. although this requires some more deskspace to support a bigger tower case to get somthing efficent.

Really single all in one solution kits for watercooling are not good enough from a price/performance stand point.

I have a pretty good high end air setup up in my current case albeit i suffur from NFS - Noisy Fan Syndrome..... couple of fan controllers help a bit...

Anyways hope you get my point...

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I went from about the same set up to the 805D and I have to say the speed is better (must be the extra cache and bus or something) but I ditched my DDR1 (I have 3 other PC's that use DDR) I honestly would buy DDR2 :) but then again if your mobo is dual channel then DDR400 is good enough I guess. Good luck with your build !