4.1GHZ P4 for some, and then the real results!

jh313

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2003
4.1GHz might be possible on the 805 but it's not capable for most people.
1) The cpu cops out at 3.33ghz on stock air cooling.
2) The cpu cops out at 3.8ghz on zallman cooling. (extra $60 for parts)
3) The cpu cops out at 4.1ghz on watercooling. (extra $200 for parts)

So, if u went with the cost of the cpu and a zallman fan u would be looking at near $200. Compare an overclocked $200 unit vs a $200 unit which the 805 runs at 3.8ghz.

To get to the 4.1GHZ mark u need aftermarket watercooling/phase cooling. The cost of a decent watercooling setup is around $200, so can u tell me other cpu's that can reach the same performance for $330????

It might be an increase of 54% in clock speed if u look at it from 2.66ghz to 4.1ghz. But reality is that it is an increase of around 30% for most users using overclocking. 30% is doable on aircooling without going overbudget.

The motherboard used is not for sale yet, u have to be really really picky about which cpu to use & u need watercooling..... tell me now if u could build a cheaper system that would run stable, as fast, and would not show up on u'r energy bill?!?!?

It is nothing different from celerons upping their 133mhz FSB to 166mhz or the athlon xp's 166mhz FSB to 200mhz. It is not crazy overclocking... it is what people have been doing for a long time now. Upping fsb to high levels with custom cooling.

Results of a 4.1ghz p4 805 is still barely any faster than the fx60 not overclocked. At air speed overclocked the 805 is about the speed of a 4400x2 or p4 940.

Overclocking is best done on the mobile/low power chips such as the intel core duo or amd's mobile chips. Here it actually makes more sense but still costs u a lot more in parts.

Just my 2 cents.

Skidd

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2004
Im happy with the setup and my watercooling only cost $150. But then again i bought the system to go watercooling while i had the chance to save on the cpu.

speedstic

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
im able to get to 3.6 without going over 65 degrees during cpu tests with the zalman although i probably don't wanna go higher for everyday use without water cooling, i have a few questions though:
with water cooling can it be oc'd to 4.x without raising the voltage?
is voltage the reason for oc'd chips burning out?
and my ram changes from 4-4-4-8 when the processor is 3.3 but when i go to 3.6 it raises to 5-5-5-12, is it ok to change it back to 4-4-4-8 or possibly lower or will it kill the ram?

Panzerzero

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I was wondering about the true cost. Tom's always leaves out the little cost like $60 here or $200 here. It's good to see someone doing the leg work at any good hardware reported should have done.

sdrawkcaBgoD

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
I still think it's very interesting to have such a low-end CPU that can outperform a high-end CPU. Whether it's worth all the effort/cost is up to the individual user. I'm not going to run out and buy a whole new system just to try it out, but I definitely enjoyed the article.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Dude on stock cooling i reached 3.8, but i didnt like the temps so just spend around $40 on a Zalman cooler and now it runs fine @ no more than50 degress on load!

speedstic

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
maybe my cooler is on wrong because i can still move it around slightly im not sure if you're suppose to be able to do that, but all they give you to hold it down is an "I" bar and two screws

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
maybe my cooler is on wrong because i can still move it around slightly im not sure if you're suppose to be able to do that, but all they give you to hold it down is an "I" bar and two screws

Yeah it should fit tightly (not too tightly but you know...) I know the stock cooler my 805 came with was a PITA to install I had checked it out a few days ago and found that 1 of the posts was not completly snapped in. I guess 3 is enough though, my temps didnt change at all :) you have an after market cooler ?

unsmart

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Watercooling lets you raise the voltage by dissipating heat faster. You wouldn't get any higher speeds unless temps are the problem with the vcore your at now.
Overvolting makes heat and burns up cpus but all new cpus/mobos have thermal shutoffs built in. There not 100% and if you set the Vcore to 2v on a opty144 it may fry with the first jolt or if the pump dies all the sudden.
It sounds like your board is setting the timings to the standards for your higher ram speeds. You could try lowering them but a increase in voltage may be needed so check around to see what others are running your ram at first.
Any setting over specs are risky and void warranty.
I think this article is really for the OCers that just go for increase not price. I could see someone putting a phase change on one just to say they got a 75% increase. Alot of ppl just go for numbers, it's us poor folk that do it for performance.

speedstic

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
thanks for the input
i may have purchased a cpu that's not up to par with the rest of my pc!
not really a problem since i can offload this cpu quickly, and can add a few hundred more dollars at a cpu if it will be a better long term solution
i say this because my friend bought a x2 3800, with ddr ram, 1900xt and scored 400 points higher than me on 3dmark 06,
should his score be higher than mine and if i should spend a bit more, which should it be: 940, 650, 550 ( or 840 only if its far superior to the rest)?
thanks again

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Your cpu is fine! There is absolutely no reason for you to upgrade at the moment. If you were going to upgrade i would wait for AM2 or Conroe as no CPU out at the moment is THAT much faster than your D805 @ 3.6

TRENDING THREADS