ASUS A8N-E LAN problem.

Albireo13

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
I have a new build and tried connecting to the internet for the first time. The mobo is not connecting to the network. I have a DSL modem and am using the onboard interface. I did not load the mobo drivers but am using the XP SP2 drivers instead. I also did NOT install the nForce Firewall which came with the mobo CD.

Am I missing something?

Rob

smedlin

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
I had the same problem when I built my rig last month or so..it would not work until I installed the drivers.

Did you by any chance have the network hooked up when you loaded XP?

Albireo13

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
No,
I did not hook up to the network until after installing SP2.

The network connection shows I am connected, at 10MBPS. This seems slow. However, I can go no further.
I've installed the nForce drivers, disabled all firewalls and still nothing!

smedlin

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
When I installed windows, I did not have the nic hooked up yet either. I had the same exact problem you did.

I finally got net connection when I connected BOTH nic's to my router. I don't understand why, but once I did that, it worked.

A bit after that, I realized I had installed the wrong HAL, so I simply did a complete reinstall of XP. This time I had my net connection hooked up (but only 1 nic). XP auto found configured it.

Albireo13

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
What is a HAL ???

So, I guess I can try re-installing XP from scratch again with the LAN cabled in.

BTW, I don't have an NIC but use the onboard LAN interface.

Rob

smedlin

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
HAL = Hardware Abstraction Layer.

I don't have actual network cards either. I use on board ones. My board (yours also?) has two nic's on it.

For some reason, when I first hooked everything up, I could register the connection, but not actually use it. When I hooked BOTH network cards up, it would let me use it. I then removed one of the network cables and it still worked. I have no idea why....

I did not research into it any more. Hey, it worked, so who cares 8)

However, like I said, I had to reinstal XP, this time I had one of the cat 5's connected to the network interface. XP set everything up for me then...

uber_g

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
use the mobo drivers instead , they r there for a reason

and un-install the Nforce drivers then re-install them

and Dont install the firewall , just dont ....