B) No
20 answers Last reply
More about clouds move

    Dallas wrote:
    > (This is a little test for the group)
    >
    > Do the clouds in FS9 move:
    >
    > A) Yes
    >
    > B) No

    Yes they move as in real life, according to the set wind.
    --
    Cheers
    Quilly

    Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
    http://www.livtech.co.uk

    On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 22:17:41 +0000 (UTC), "Quilljar"
    <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> brought the following to our
    attention:

    >Dallas wrote:
    >> (This is a little test for the group)
    >>
    >> Do the clouds in FS9 move:
    >>
    >> A) Yes
    >>
    >> B) No

    >Yes they move as in real life, according to the set wind.

    did you ever dream of the day when contrails and smoke would behave
    like real? Takeoff pitch was always confounding... not matching what
    was observed at the airport.. and it was MOST likely due to the
    unrealistic smoke trails in MSFS 2k2.

    would you tradeoff AI capacity for smoke, clouds, vapor trial drift?

    -g

    depends if theres wind :-)

    but yes

    --
    From Overlag - Adam Webb

    > (This is a little test for the group)
    >
    > Do the clouds in FS9 move:
    >
    > A) Yes
    >
    > B) No

    "Adam Webb"
    > depends if there's wind :-)
    > but yes

    Ok... Ok... everybody knew but me. I wasn't sure till I slew alongside a
    cloud zipping by.

    Dallas

    I don't think so.....but I did see an angel floating on one (hic)

    Arthur

    > "Adam Webb"
    >> depends if there's wind :-)
    >> but yes
    >

    > Ok... Ok... everybody knew but me. I wasn't sure till I slew alongside a
    > cloud zipping by.
    >
    > Dallas

    On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 23:08:01 GMT, "Dallas"
    <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> brought the following to our
    attention:

    >"Adam Webb"
    >> depends if there's wind :-)
    >> but yes
    >

    >Ok... Ok... everybody knew but me. I wasn't sure till I slew alongside a
    >cloud zipping by.
    >
    >Dallas

    that's the right idea.. design a test to verify what happens.

    -g

    Arthur wrote:
    > I don't think so.....but I did see an angel floating on one (hic)

    Why thank you Arthur!!

    > "Adam Webb"
    >
    >>depends if there's wind :-)
    >>but yes

    Depends if there's wind :)
    But No
    --

    boB,
    SAG 70

    U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

    Maybe. :-)

    That's gonna wreck your spreadsheet, mate!

    JW

    > (This is a little test for the group)
    >
    > Do the clouds in FS9 move:
    >
    > A) Yes
    >
    > B) No

    On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 08:32:56 +1000, "John Ward"
    <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> brought the following to our attention:

    >Maybe. :-)
    >
    >That's gonna wreck your spreadsheet, mate!
    >
    >JW

    John.. [are you] going to make a cloud movement spreadsheet? :)

    thing is.. clouds are a framerate hog.. so they're (layers) set to
    appear when way below or way above.. and visibility reduced
    when inside [layer]. It's a tradeoff for better terrain appearance.

    -g

    ---------------------
    >"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
    >

    >> (This is a little test for the group)
    >>
    >> Do the clouds in FS9 move:
    >>
    >> A) Yes
    >>
    >> B) No

    X2 4400 and a Nvidia 7800gtx

    max settings on everything. Only the worst cloudy days bring fps below 20
    :-)

    --
    From Overlag - Adam Webb

    "Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 08:32:56 +1000, "John Ward"
    > <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> brought the following to our attention:
    >
    >>Maybe. :-)
    >>
    >>That's gonna wreck your spreadsheet, mate!
    >>
    >>JW
    >
    > John.. [are you] going to make a cloud movement spreadsheet? :)
    >
    > thing is.. clouds are a framerate hog.. so they're (layers) set to
    > appear when way below or way above.. and visibility reduced
    > when inside [layer]. It's a tradeoff for better terrain appearance.
    >
    > -g
    >
    > ---------------------
    >>"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
    >>

    >>> (This is a little test for the group)
    >>>
    >>> Do the clouds in FS9 move:
    >>>
    >>> A) Yes
    >>>
    >>> B) No

    On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 01:04:37 +0100, "Adam Webb"
    <adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> brought the following to our
    attention:

    >X2 4400 and a Nvidia 7800gtx
    >
    >max settings on everything. Only the worst cloudy days bring fps below 20
    >:-)

    that's wonderful Adam.. my clouds are set to 5% which effectively
    disables those tacky FS8 `cloud curtains'.. however the layers can be
    seen from far below and far above as patchy and variable opacity. But
    of course there must be tradeoffs when operating on 500MHz CPUs.

    so you get Min 20 fps? my target fps is 19.. typically run 11-18 fps
    however below 10 is unacceptable.

    not to worry.. will have marvelous Sim platform someday.. won't be
    quitting Sim any time soon!!

    -g

    Hi Gregory,

    Well, who am I to argue with that, Sah!? :-)

    Seriously, though, I've just started experimenting with the combinations
    available via ActiveSky ASV and Flight Environment - so far, the hardware's
    surviving the test, and strewth, it sure makes it a more visually-appealing
    'Sim experience to practice my crash landings in! :-)

    Regards,
    John Ward
    "Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 08:32:56 +1000, "John Ward"
    > <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> brought the following to our attention:
    >
    >>Maybe. :-)
    >>
    >>That's gonna wreck your spreadsheet, mate!
    >>
    >>JW
    >
    > John.. [are you] going to make a cloud movement spreadsheet? :)
    >
    > thing is.. clouds are a framerate hog.. so they're (layers) set to
    > appear when way below or way above.. and visibility reduced
    > when inside [layer]. It's a tradeoff for better terrain appearance.
    >
    > -g
    >
    > ---------------------
    >>"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
    >>

    >>> (This is a little test for the group)
    >>>
    >>> Do the clouds in FS9 move:
    >>>
    >>> A) Yes
    >>>
    >>> B) No

    On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 09:47:55 +1000, "John Ward"
    <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> brought the following to our attention:

    >Hi Gregory,
    >
    > Well, who am I to argue with that, Sah!? :-)

    that's a new way to spell it.. Sa!! however I wonder now if QuillSa
    was a spotter for Royal Navy or IDF? no insults intended.. am
    impartial to it either way. Any of the Cptns could be addressed
    as such.

    >Seriously, though, I've just started experimenting with the combinations
    >available via ActiveSky ASV and Flight Environment - so far, the hardware's
    >surviving the test, and strewth, it sure makes it a more visually-appealing
    >'Sim experience to practice my crash landings in! :-)

    was typing up a reply to that 299$ Celeron post but deleted it.
    frankly am more interested in temps, pressures, and technical
    aspects of the Sim. clouds would be good.. but for `hardware
    challenged' system.. they can be greatly reduced.

    In this case.. almost always set custom `global weather' with
    perhaps some LOCAL weather adjustments. some day the
    extra eye candy will great.. will be simming on indefinitely!!

    -g

    >Regards,
    >John Ward

    >"Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
    >
    >> On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 08:32:56 +1000, "John Ward"
    >> <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> brought the following to our attention:
    >>
    >>>Maybe. :-)
    >>>
    >>>That's gonna wreck your spreadsheet, mate!
    >>>
    >>>JW
    >>
    >> John.. [are you] going to make a cloud movement spreadsheet? :)
    >>
    >> thing is.. clouds are a framerate hog.. so they're (layers) set to
    >> appear when way below or way above.. and visibility reduced
    >> when inside [layer]. It's a tradeoff for better terrain appearance.
    >>
    >> -g
    >>
    >> ---------------------

    Hi Arthur,

    ROTFL - corker, mate! :-))

    You sure have a way with words....

    Regards,
    John Ward
    "Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com> wrote in message
    >I don't think so.....but I did see an angel floating on one (hic)
    >
    > Arthur
    >

    > "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Adam Webb"
    >>> depends if there's wind :-)
    >>> but yes
    >>

    >> Ok... Ok... everybody knew but me. I wasn't sure till I slew alongside
    >> cloud zipping by.
    >>
    >> Dallas

    Hi Varmit,

    :Ok... Ok... everybody knew but me."

    Hey, another first!

    I'm assuming you really did mean slew, not flew? :-)

    Regards,
    John Ward

    > "Adam Webb"
    >> depends if there's wind :-)
    >> but yes
    >

    > Ok... Ok... everybody knew but me. I wasn't sure till I slew alongside a
    > cloud zipping by.
    >
    > Dallas

    Hi Gregory,

    "that's a new way to spell it.. Sa!!"

    O.K., ya got me that time, mate! :-)

    "I wonder now if QuillSa was a spotter for Royal Navy or IDF?"

    I believe he was a Navigator, and, has been able to find some pretty
    reasonable 'sim models of the planes he flew in.

    "will be simming on indefinitely!!"

    Me three, and I guess that goes for many of us here! :-)

    Hey, maybe a Spreadsheet re 'Sim enjoyment -v- Various hardware
    components, as altered over time?? :-))

    Regards,
    John Ward

    > On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 09:47:55 +1000, "John Ward"
    > <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> brought the following to our attention:
    >
    >>Hi Gregory,
    >>
    >> Well, who am I to argue with that, Sah!? :-)
    >
    > that's a new way to spell it.. Sa!! however I wonder now if QuillSa
    > was a spotter for Royal Navy or IDF? no insults intended.. am
    > impartial to it either way. Any of the Cptns could be addressed
    > as such.
    >
    >>Seriously, though, I've just started experimenting with the combinations
    >>available via ActiveSky ASV and Flight Environment - so far, the
    >>hardware's
    >>surviving the test, and strewth, it sure makes it a more
    >>visually-appealing
    >>'Sim experience to practice my crash landings in! :-)
    >
    > was typing up a reply to that 299$ Celeron post but deleted it.
    > frankly am more interested in temps, pressures, and technical
    > aspects of the Sim. clouds would be good.. but for `hardware
    > challenged' system.. they can be greatly reduced.
    >
    > In this case.. almost always set custom `global weather' with
    > perhaps some LOCAL weather adjustments. some day the
    > extra eye candy will great.. will be simming on indefinitely!!
    >
    > -g
    >
    >>Regards,
    >>John Ward
    >

    >>"Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 08:32:56 +1000, "John Ward"
    >>> <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> brought the following to our attention:

    >>> John.. [are you] going to make a cloud movement spreadsheet? :)
    >>>
    >>> thing is.. clouds are a framerate hog.. so they're (layers) set to
    >>> appear when way below or way above.. and visibility reduced
    >>> when inside [layer]. It's a tradeoff for better terrain appearance.
    >>>
    >>> -g
    >>>
    >>> ---------------------

  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Dallas wrote:
    > (This is a little test for the group)
    >
    > Do the clouds in FS9 move:
    >
    > A) Yes
    >
    > B) No

    Not only do they move, but sometimes they form pictures. Yesterday I
    thought I saw a naked woman on the beach so I flew towards it. I
    crashed into a mountain hiding in her left breast!

    Served me right.

    John

  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    > Not only do they move, but sometimes they form pictures. Yesterday I
    > thought I saw a naked woman on the beach so I flew towards it. I
    > crashed into a mountain hiding in her left breast!
    >
    > Served me right.
    >

    > John

    Shirley, the real question for you is did the earth move?

    --
    Cheers
    Quilly

    Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
    http://www.livtech.co.uk
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    my "old" pc was like that... well it was really only the graphics card that
    let down the good cpu. My target back then (err last month) was between 20
    and 30 (any lower and i notice it) I had vis distance at 60, cloud distance
    at like 20 and clouds at 30% or something. As you say the FS8 "cloud
    curtains" are horrible, id rather have LESS clouds (ie range) but better
    looking, than the other way around....

    --
    From Overlag - Adam Webb

    > On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 01:04:37 +0100, "Adam Webb"
    > <adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> brought the following to our
    > attention:
    >
    >>X2 4400 and a Nvidia 7800gtx
    >>
    >>max settings on everything. Only the worst cloudy days bring fps below 20
    >>:-)
    >
    > that's wonderful Adam.. my clouds are set to 5% which effectively
    > disables those tacky FS8 `cloud curtains'.. however the layers can be
    > seen from far below and far above as patchy and variable opacity. But
    > of course there must be tradeoffs when operating on 500MHz CPUs.
    >
    > so you get Min 20 fps? my target fps is 19.. typically run 11-18 fps
    > however below 10 is unacceptable.
    >
    > not to worry.. will have marvelous Sim platform someday.. won't be
    > quitting Sim any time soon!!
    >

    > -g

Games Microsoft Video Games