Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Do the clouds in FS9 move?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
August 9, 2005 2:17:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

(This is a little test for the group)

Do the clouds in FS9 move:

A) Yes

B) No

More about : clouds fs9 move

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 2:17:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Dallas wrote:
> (This is a little test for the group)
>
> Do the clouds in FS9 move:
>
> A) Yes
>
> B) No

Yes they move as in real life, according to the set wind.
--
Cheers
Quilly


Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
http://www.livtech.co.uk
August 9, 2005 2:17:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 22:17:41 +0000 (UTC), "Quilljar"
<wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> brought the following to our
attention:

>Dallas wrote:
>> (This is a little test for the group)
>>
>> Do the clouds in FS9 move:
>>
>> A) Yes
>>
>> B) No


>Yes they move as in real life, according to the set wind.

did you ever dream of the day when contrails and smoke would behave
like real? Takeoff pitch was always confounding... not matching what
was observed at the airport.. and it was MOST likely due to the
unrealistic smoke trails in MSFS 2k2.

would you tradeoff AI capacity for smoke, clouds, vapor trial drift?


-g
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 3:37:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

depends if theres wind :-)

but yes

--
From Overlag - Adam Webb
"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
news:GRQJe.2847$Wi6.2040@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>
> (This is a little test for the group)
>
> Do the clouds in FS9 move:
>
> A) Yes
>
> B) No
>
>
August 9, 2005 3:37:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"Adam Webb"
> depends if there's wind :-)
> but yes


Ok... Ok... everybody knew but me. I wasn't sure till I slew alongside a
cloud zipping by.

Dallas
August 9, 2005 3:37:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

I don't think so.....but I did see an angel floating on one (hic)

Arthur


"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
news:lBRJe.3195$WD.536@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>
> "Adam Webb"
>> depends if there's wind :-)
>> but yes
>
>
> Ok... Ok... everybody knew but me. I wasn't sure till I slew alongside a
> cloud zipping by.
>
> Dallas
>
>
August 9, 2005 3:37:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 23:08:01 GMT, "Dallas"
<Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> brought the following to our
attention:

>
>"Adam Webb"
>> depends if there's wind :-)
>> but yes
>
>
>Ok... Ok... everybody knew but me. I wasn't sure till I slew alongside a
>cloud zipping by.
>
>Dallas
>

that's the right idea.. design a test to verify what happens.


-g
August 9, 2005 3:37:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Arthur wrote:
> I don't think so.....but I did see an angel floating on one (hic)
>


Why thank you Arthur!!
August 9, 2005 5:48:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

> "Adam Webb"
>
>>depends if there's wind :-)
>>but yes


Depends if there's wind :) 
But No
--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 12:32:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Maybe. :-)

That's gonna wreck your spreadsheet, mate!

JW
"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
news:GRQJe.2847$Wi6.2040@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>
> (This is a little test for the group)
>
> Do the clouds in FS9 move:
>
> A) Yes
>
> B) No
>
>
August 9, 2005 12:32:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 08:32:56 +1000, "John Ward"
<johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> brought the following to our attention:

>Maybe. :-)
>
>That's gonna wreck your spreadsheet, mate!
>
>JW

John.. [are you] going to make a cloud movement spreadsheet? :) 

thing is.. clouds are a framerate hog.. so they're (layers) set to
appear when way below or way above.. and visibility reduced
when inside [layer]. It's a tradeoff for better terrain appearance.

-g

---------------------
>"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
>
>>
>> (This is a little test for the group)
>>
>> Do the clouds in FS9 move:
>>
>> A) Yes
>>
>> B) No
>>
>>
>
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 12:32:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

X2 4400 and a Nvidia 7800gtx

max settings on everything. Only the worst cloudy days bring fps below 20
:-)

--
From Overlag - Adam Webb

"Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
news:bupff1dokp67pmtp8ml0ml7e1b21mplt83@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 08:32:56 +1000, "John Ward"
> <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> brought the following to our attention:
>
>>Maybe. :-)
>>
>>That's gonna wreck your spreadsheet, mate!
>>
>>JW
>
> John.. [are you] going to make a cloud movement spreadsheet? :) 
>
> thing is.. clouds are a framerate hog.. so they're (layers) set to
> appear when way below or way above.. and visibility reduced
> when inside [layer]. It's a tradeoff for better terrain appearance.
>
> -g
>
> ---------------------
>>"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
>>
>>>
>>> (This is a little test for the group)
>>>
>>> Do the clouds in FS9 move:
>>>
>>> A) Yes
>>>
>>> B) No
>>>
>>>
>>
>
August 9, 2005 12:32:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 01:04:37 +0100, "Adam Webb"
<adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> brought the following to our
attention:

>X2 4400 and a Nvidia 7800gtx
>
>max settings on everything. Only the worst cloudy days bring fps below 20
>:-)

that's wonderful Adam.. my clouds are set to 5% which effectively
disables those tacky FS8 `cloud curtains'.. however the layers can be
seen from far below and far above as patchy and variable opacity. But
of course there must be tradeoffs when operating on 500MHz CPUs.

so you get Min 20 fps? my target fps is 19.. typically run 11-18 fps
however below 10 is unacceptable.

not to worry.. will have marvelous Sim platform someday.. won't be
quitting Sim any time soon!!


-g
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 1:47:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Hi Gregory,

Well, who am I to argue with that, Sah!? :-)

Seriously, though, I've just started experimenting with the combinations
available via ActiveSky ASV and Flight Environment - so far, the hardware's
surviving the test, and strewth, it sure makes it a more visually-appealing
'Sim experience to practice my crash landings in! :-)

Regards,
John Ward
"Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
news:bupff1dokp67pmtp8ml0ml7e1b21mplt83@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 08:32:56 +1000, "John Ward"
> <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> brought the following to our attention:
>
>>Maybe. :-)
>>
>>That's gonna wreck your spreadsheet, mate!
>>
>>JW
>
> John.. [are you] going to make a cloud movement spreadsheet? :) 
>
> thing is.. clouds are a framerate hog.. so they're (layers) set to
> appear when way below or way above.. and visibility reduced
> when inside [layer]. It's a tradeoff for better terrain appearance.
>
> -g
>
> ---------------------
>>"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
>>
>>>
>>> (This is a little test for the group)
>>>
>>> Do the clouds in FS9 move:
>>>
>>> A) Yes
>>>
>>> B) No
>>>
>>>
>>
>
August 9, 2005 1:47:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 09:47:55 +1000, "John Ward"
<johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> brought the following to our attention:

>Hi Gregory,
>
> Well, who am I to argue with that, Sah!? :-)

that's a new way to spell it.. Sa!! however I wonder now if QuillSa
was a spotter for Royal Navy or IDF? no insults intended.. am
impartial to it either way. Any of the Cptns could be addressed
as such.

>Seriously, though, I've just started experimenting with the combinations
>available via ActiveSky ASV and Flight Environment - so far, the hardware's
>surviving the test, and strewth, it sure makes it a more visually-appealing
>'Sim experience to practice my crash landings in! :-)

was typing up a reply to that 299$ Celeron post but deleted it.
frankly am more interested in temps, pressures, and technical
aspects of the Sim. clouds would be good.. but for `hardware
challenged' system.. they can be greatly reduced.

In this case.. almost always set custom `global weather' with
perhaps some LOCAL weather adjustments. some day the
extra eye candy will great.. will be simming on indefinitely!!

-g

>Regards,
>John Ward



>"Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>> On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 08:32:56 +1000, "John Ward"
>> <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> brought the following to our attention:
>>
>>>Maybe. :-)
>>>
>>>That's gonna wreck your spreadsheet, mate!
>>>
>>>JW
>>
>> John.. [are you] going to make a cloud movement spreadsheet? :) 
>>
>> thing is.. clouds are a framerate hog.. so they're (layers) set to
>> appear when way below or way above.. and visibility reduced
>> when inside [layer]. It's a tradeoff for better terrain appearance.
>>
>> -g
>>
>> ---------------------
>>>"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
>>>
>>>>
>>>> (This is a little test for the group)
>>>>
>>>> Do the clouds in FS9 move:
>>>>
>>>> A) Yes
>>>>
>>>> B) No
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>
>
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 1:51:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Hi Arthur,

ROTFL - corker, mate! :-))

You sure have a way with words....

Regards,
John Ward
"Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com> wrote in message
news:suydnc95r7oEe2rfRVn-iQ@rogers.com...
>I don't think so.....but I did see an angel floating on one (hic)
>
> Arthur
>
>
> "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
> news:lBRJe.3195$WD.536@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>>
>> "Adam Webb"
>>> depends if there's wind :-)
>>> but yes
>>
>>
>> Ok... Ok... everybody knew but me. I wasn't sure till I slew alongside
>> a
>> cloud zipping by.
>>
>> Dallas
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 2:03:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Hi Varmit,

:o k... Ok... everybody knew but me."

Hey, another first!

I'm assuming you really did mean slew, not flew? :-)

Regards,
John Ward
"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
news:lBRJe.3195$WD.536@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>
> "Adam Webb"
>> depends if there's wind :-)
>> but yes
>
>
> Ok... Ok... everybody knew but me. I wasn't sure till I slew alongside a
> cloud zipping by.
>
> Dallas
>
>
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 3:44:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Hi Gregory,

"that's a new way to spell it.. Sa!!"

O.K., ya got me that time, mate! :-)

"I wonder now if QuillSa was a spotter for Royal Navy or IDF?"

I believe he was a Navigator, and, has been able to find some pretty
reasonable 'sim models of the planes he flew in.

"will be simming on indefinitely!!"

Me three, and I guess that goes for many of us here! :-)

Hey, maybe a Spreadsheet re 'Sim enjoyment -v- Various hardware
components, as altered over time?? :-))

Regards,
John Ward



"Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
news:3otff1hcg4iosjbhepds5u9n15tjj2g45d@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 09:47:55 +1000, "John Ward"
> <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> brought the following to our attention:
>
>>Hi Gregory,
>>
>> Well, who am I to argue with that, Sah!? :-)
>
> that's a new way to spell it.. Sa!! however I wonder now if QuillSa
> was a spotter for Royal Navy or IDF? no insults intended.. am
> impartial to it either way. Any of the Cptns could be addressed
> as such.
>
>>Seriously, though, I've just started experimenting with the combinations
>>available via ActiveSky ASV and Flight Environment - so far, the
>>hardware's
>>surviving the test, and strewth, it sure makes it a more
>>visually-appealing
>>'Sim experience to practice my crash landings in! :-)
>
> was typing up a reply to that 299$ Celeron post but deleted it.
> frankly am more interested in temps, pressures, and technical
> aspects of the Sim. clouds would be good.. but for `hardware
> challenged' system.. they can be greatly reduced.
>
> In this case.. almost always set custom `global weather' with
> perhaps some LOCAL weather adjustments. some day the
> extra eye candy will great.. will be simming on indefinitely!!
>
> -g
>
>>Regards,
>>John Ward
>
>
>
>>"Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 08:32:56 +1000, "John Ward"
>>> <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> brought the following to our attention:
>>>
>>>>Maybe. :-)
>>>>
>>>>That's gonna wreck your spreadsheet, mate!
>>>>
>>>>JW
>>>
>>> John.. [are you] going to make a cloud movement spreadsheet? :) 
>>>
>>> thing is.. clouds are a framerate hog.. so they're (layers) set to
>>> appear when way below or way above.. and visibility reduced
>>> when inside [layer]. It's a tradeoff for better terrain appearance.
>>>
>>> -g
>>>
>>> ---------------------
>>>>"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> (This is a little test for the group)
>>>>>
>>>>> Do the clouds in FS9 move:
>>>>>
>>>>> A) Yes
>>>>>
>>>>> B) No
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>
>
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 11:53:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Dallas wrote:
> (This is a little test for the group)
>
> Do the clouds in FS9 move:
>
> A) Yes
>
> B) No
>
>

Not only do they move, but sometimes they form pictures. Yesterday I
thought I saw a naked woman on the beach so I flew towards it. I
crashed into a mountain hiding in her left breast!

Served me right.



John
--


Von Herzen, moge es wieder zu Herzen gehen. --Beethoven
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 12:19:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

> Not only do they move, but sometimes they form pictures. Yesterday I
> thought I saw a naked woman on the beach so I flew towards it. I
> crashed into a mountain hiding in her left breast!
>
> Served me right.
>
>
>
> John

Shirley, the real question for you is did the earth move?


--
Cheers
Quilly


Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
http://www.livtech.co.uk
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 1:41:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

my "old" pc was like that... well it was really only the graphics card that
let down the good cpu. My target back then (err last month) was between 20
and 30 (any lower and i notice it) I had vis distance at 60, cloud distance
at like 20 and clouds at 30% or something. As you say the FS8 "cloud
curtains" are horrible, id rather have LESS clouds (ie range) but better
looking, than the other way around....


--
From Overlag - Adam Webb


"Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
news:svuff1lcpeu7lcta6gpf59igsn7jgf3svv@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 01:04:37 +0100, "Adam Webb"
> <adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> brought the following to our
> attention:
>
>>X2 4400 and a Nvidia 7800gtx
>>
>>max settings on everything. Only the worst cloudy days bring fps below 20
>>:-)
>
> that's wonderful Adam.. my clouds are set to 5% which effectively
> disables those tacky FS8 `cloud curtains'.. however the layers can be
> seen from far below and far above as patchy and variable opacity. But
> of course there must be tradeoffs when operating on 500MHz CPUs.
>
> so you get Min 20 fps? my target fps is 19.. typically run 11-18 fps
> however below 10 is unacceptable.
>
> not to worry.. will have marvelous Sim platform someday.. won't be
> quitting Sim any time soon!!
>
>
> -g
>
>
!