Yellow-Asterisk

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
Hello, i am a novice builder and just constructed my first system. Using a program called PC Wizard. i found that my idle cpu temp is between 40-43C. i am running an opteron 165 on the stock cooler. i know temps can vary with ambient room temperature, but Is this around the normal? Also, at what temperature should i start worrying about temps? As in possible damage to my hardware.

Sorry if this has bee posted before, i tried to search but could not find an answer.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Hello, i am a novice builder and just constructed my first system. Using a program called PC Wizard. i found that my idle cpu temp is between 40-43C. i am running an opteron 165 on the stock cooler. i know temps can vary with ambient room temperature, but Is this around the normal? Also, at what temperature should i start worrying about temps? As in possible damage to my hardware.

Sorry if this has bee posted before, i tried to search but could not find an answer.

Doesn't sound like a problem but make sure it's under 60 at load.

Yellow-Asterisk

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
Thanks for the input. Whats the best way to determine the temperature at max load? And by that i mean, how do max out my cpu long enough to know its highest temp.

oenomel

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
Hmmm.

Mine idles a few degress lower than yours @ 2.25ghz.

Maybe check what the voltage is set at just to make sure it isn't higher than it needs to be, just to be sure.

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Hot im not
I'm more worried about too cool
never gets over 37 C full load hl2 1hour or 3d mark 2005 multiple runs.
your temps seem in line

threep

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
A) There's no such thing as too cool
B) For the best program for heating up just the processor, you want BurnK7. http://pages.sbcglobal.net/redelm/
C) Most K8's will keep running even if the temp gets over 110ºC (if you can give it that much power), it'll just shorten the lifespan a bit. ;)

8)

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
A) There's no such thing as too cool
B) For the best program for heating up just the processor, you want BurnK7. http://pages.sbcglobal.net/redelm/
C) Most K8's will keep running even if the temp gets over 110ºC (if you can give it that much power), it'll just shorten the lifespan a bit. ;)

8)

I agree.
my point should have been that reported temps may not be too acurate.your program recomendation is very good for stability performance measures (I use sis sandra)
temps are good guide lines to follow but it pays to be causious .
I wonder how long my prescot would have lasted using BurnK7 8O

threep

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Nice.

I wonder how accurate AI Booster is. Unfortunately I don't have much experiece testing Intel CPU's, but I would assume they run close to the same temps as AMD.

You are correct that most reporting programs are not 100% accurate, since they all rely on either the thermal values fused into the CPU itself (which have some level of inaccuracy) or an external measurement on the motherboard, which would have a delta between the measured temp and the actual CPU temp.

But I think everyone would agree that 45' or below is good, 70' or above is bad.

8)