32bit vs. 64bit

pjmoses

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
I am curious as to the difference between 64bit and 32bit Windows 7. I am installing a new Vertex 3 SSD and know the 32bit is a smaller file. Does it run as fast as the 64bit? And does it have the same features? I am trying to save some space and it seems like the 64bit takes longer to load. What difference would it make if I installed the 32bit instead of 64 on my new drive? Would programs not be more compatable also? I just do not get the reasoning behind 64bit when it comes to speed.

Solution
The instruction set is the main difference, along with x64 taking a little more space for install and a very very small performance hit when x64 running x86 code.

I think most people would agree that x64 is the way to go, except when you have 2GB of ram or less, netbook or low power laptop.
The instruction set is the main difference, along with x64 taking a little more space for install and a very very small performance hit when x64 running x86 code.

I think most people would agree that x64 is the way to go, except when you have 2GB of ram or less, netbook or low power laptop.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS