Something you all might like

cooldude

Distinguished
May 28, 2004
Some of you remember the two threads which I posted 'multicore GPUs- is it possible?' and 'SPEs in Cell'. This + some research have all existed mainly just for this thread. Now as you all know SPEs in the cell are also capable of processing Graphics, and if u want to make sure go to answers.com and type 'cell' and read through it. So this means that an SPE core in the cell can do the work of a GPU. But the question is 'which can process graphics better 2 SPEs or a GPU?'.Now let me get to the main point. One guy in the first thread I mentioned here said that future quad core CPUs would ship with 2 GPUS -1 PPU- one for AI. And I totally agree with him. If IBM can make a core to process graphics, then AMD and Intel can do. But something also comes up here ' will the GPU integrated in the CPU have the same sort of architecture as the current ones (like having pixel pipeline for example) , or will they be like an SPE?'.

Does anybody have the answer of the two questions I asked?

And keep in your mind that what I said here was after a lot of research, so theres' no point of arguing with me.

Thanx

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
Damn seperate your questions from the one huge paragraph.

Ok is this question 1?

But the question is 'which can process graphics better 2 SPEs or a GPU?'

Answer: Obviously the GPU.

One guy in the first thread I mentioned here said that future quad core CPUs would ship with 2 GPUS -1 PPU- one for AI.

So its a quad core CPU and 2 GPU's on the one die?

But something also comes up here ' will the GPU integrated in the CPU have the same sort of architecture as the current ones (like having pixel pipeline for example) , or will they be like an SPE?'.

Ok so will this six core CPU/GPU have something like an SPE in it? That's your second question?

Answer: Hell no, SPE's might be ok at vertex work but they're awful for pixel shading.

Lacostiade

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Damn seperate your questions from the one huge paragraph.

Ok is this question 1?

But the question is 'which can process graphics better 2 SPEs or a GPU?'

Answer: Obviously the GPU.

One guy in the first thread I mentioned here said that future quad core CPUs would ship with 2 GPUS -1 PPU- one for AI.

So its a quad core CPU and 2 GPU's on the one die?

But something also comes up here ' will the GPU integrated in the CPU have the same sort of architecture as the current ones (like having pixel pipeline for example) , or will they be like an SPE?'.

Ok so will this six core CPU/GPU have something like an SPE in it? That's your second question?

Answer: Hell no, SPE's might be ok at vertex work but they're awful for pixel shading.

No, this quad core CPU consists of:

-2 GPUs
-1 PPU
- 1 core for AI

and plz understand, they might either integrate 2 GPUs like the ones current used or come up with something like the SPE but can handle pixel shading and the rest of the graphics work well.

Lacostiade

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Some of you remember the two threads which I posted 'multicore GPUs- is it possible?' and 'SPEs in Cell'. This + some research have all existed mainly just for this thread. Now as you all know SPEs in the cell are also capable of processing Graphics, and if u want to make sure go to answers.com and type 'cell' and read through it. So this means that an SPE core in the cell can do the work of a GPU. But the question is 'which can process graphics better 2 SPEs or a GPU?'.Now let me get to the main point. One guy in the first thread I mentioned here said that future quad core CPUs would ship with 2 GPUS -1 PPU- one for AI. And I totally agree with him. If IBM can make a core to process graphics, then AMD and Intel can do. But something also comes up here ' will the GPU integrated in the CPU have the same sort of architecture as the current ones (like having pixel pipeline for example) , or will they be like an SPE?'.

Does anybody have the answer of the two questions I asked?

And keep in your mind that what I said here was after a lot of research, so theres' no point of arguing with me.

Thanx

No argument from me, summarize and post your links....give us a good summary low down. The Cell proc is ahead of it's time, would be interested to read what you have found out.

Jack

as u wish, i'll be posting some summary in my next thread, i will call it 'future CPUs', i also got some new info, just give me two days, until i sum everythin up

ara

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
I mentioned here said that future quad core CPUs would ship with 2 GPUS -1 PPU- one for AI

i don't think intergrating GPU's into any of the CPU cores would be feasible, this is because the graphics would need high speed link to the memory and that if you think about it, this highly limits choice: shops are not going to stock all sorts of combinations of CPU's with Processors, besides, what if you only wanted to upgrade your graphics? buy a new processor too?

one good thing that i agree would come out of this, would be a standard physics processor (which gets better with the better models of processor due to the frequency and whatnot)... however, i think these would better be integrated with graphics cards (NOT GPU's)

where does the normal CPU go in this "processor" so to speak? (unless the whole point is eliminating the general purpose processor)

Ara

sdrawkcaBgoD

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006

All hail the infallible Cooldude! Why don't you do a little more research and answer your own damn question?

samir_nayanajaad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
From all that I have read about the cell this is what I got.

Normal cpus of today work for doing other things besides graphics well, that’s why they are used. A GPU is designed to do graphics only, that’s why they don’t come close to the ghz rating of today’s cpus. The amount of data that goes through a GPU is enough to overwhelm a CPU with the GPU's needs at the current speed, so there is no need to go up to several ghz on a GPU because the CPU would not be able to handle its own end well enough to supply the GPU with all it needs for the GPU to work at a 100 percent at several ghz speed.

The cell is kind of made to be able to supply a faster GPU with the data it needs to function at 100 percent and there for the ability for better graphics is there. But the cell will not function as well as a cpu of today with the other multitude of programs that are run. At least for how the programs are written today the cell cant do as well, change the programs to work with the cell then it could do well.

I hope that wasnt too dumb sounding but I tried to keep it simple so everyone could get it

btw IBM is going to make its servers using the cell so they aren't crap for use in a non graphical intense system like a PS3

samir_nayanajaad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I hope that wasnt too dumb sounding but I tried to keep it simple so everyone could get it

You're killin' me, Smalls. :lol:

well when you start thowing in even simple words that people dont hear a lot like vector processing, floating point performance, people think one of three things

A. this is way the F*ck over my head
B. This guy is tring too hard to be a smart @ss
C. This guy is thowing big words and numbers around in an attempt to bs me

The last one is what sony and microsoft did with the PS3 and 360 to make their system sound better because people don’t know what they were actually talking about but it sounds good. Like the movie fast and the furious vin starts talking about intake welds and double clutching like he even knows wtf double clutching is even for.

Just so everyone knows about the only cars you NEED to double clutch is a 1920s or 30s car because they don’t have syncros in the transmission to get the next gear spinning before you shift to it.

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
No, this quad core CPU consists of:

-2 GPUs
-1 PPU
- 1 core for AI

Christ, that'd be huge! It'd also be starved of bandwidth.

they might either integrate 2 GPUs like the ones current used or come up with something like the SPE but can handle pixel shading and the rest of the graphics work well.

The SPE's suck, why would you want anything like them?