Sign in with
Your question

connecting two hdds together

Last response: in Systems
May 11, 2006 9:54:35 AM

check this situation boys:

one slow hdd connected together with a fast hdd.....the first is pata 2m cache and the later is sata 2 8m cache ...
my question is ..how whould they perform in different situations....os installed on the first drive..os installed on the second drive......

shall i install the os on the slow drive and the applications on the fast drive .....
or shall i install the os on the fast drive and the applications on the slow one...
which one is better.......

i have done same tests.....when i copy one file from a drive to another it works very fast....but when i copy a file from a drive to the same drive it works slow ..even if i use the fast drive...you got my point...the read write heads...
another thought was when i started a game, battlefield 2, when copied on the fast drive it started, loaded, faster then on the slow drive ...i reckon this situation requires the os to be installed on the slow drive ..and the game on the fast drive...

any ideea is wellcome...thanks

More about : connecting hdds

May 11, 2006 11:35:56 AM

fanis,

Recently I've been working with a SAN that uses SAS technology, so I've learned quite a bit about hard drives and file transfers in the last few weeks. The best thing I can say is to use the PATA as storage and the SATA as your main drive as long as it remains a personal computer and not a file server. With the SATA holding both the Apps and the OS, you'll see better results, even if the PATA is considerably smaller than the SATA.

IF you have to put the applications on a separate drive, I would leave the OS on the SATA because you’re going to use some of the space for virtual memory. With the better response time of the SATA you see an increase of speed overall due to the page filing.

Think about everyone that uses a Raptor for the OS and another HD for storage purposes. You will gain much more speed using the SATA for the OS and the apps, and use the PATA to store MP3's, MPEGs, photos, things of that nature which can take up larger amounts of space depending on how many MP3's you have, the resolution of the pictures, etc......

One last option would be to take the PATA and put it in an enclosure and use it as an external HD. This would make it mobile and could pose greater uses for you.......
May 11, 2006 11:54:39 AM

I would put the o/s on the fast drive.
This will speed up boot times and paging to disk operations.
Related resources
May 11, 2006 12:14:24 PM

I would put the OS and apps/games on the fast drive and move the page file to the other drive. As you noticed, although the drive being slower (how much, by the way?), it's faster to copy from a drive to another than from the same drive. Also, that can easily be explained, as copying from the same drive, the drive would have to do read AND write operations. Copying from one to another would separate those operations, as one would have to read and the other to write.
May 11, 2006 1:39:13 PM

thanks allot everyone...i`ll put the os on the sata drive...and use the pata for smaller app like photos....music and stuff.......

one more think guys.......choose between st3250824as and wd2500js......i know the wd hasn`t got ncq.....instead st3250824as...makes allot more noise than the wd drive...shall i`ll be worried about that
May 11, 2006 1:50:51 PM

Agreed with jap0nes, you should put the paging file on another HD.
May 11, 2006 1:54:02 PM

thanks guys...that`s a very good ideea....to put the page file on the slow hdd.......and the os and the apps on the fast hdd.....

please choose between the two drives.....st3250824as and wd2500js

thanks
May 11, 2006 2:33:10 PM

The WD2500JS. Western Digital is my drive of choice when possible, but Seagate is a good choice too, so either one is good as far as brand is concerned.
May 11, 2006 2:39:13 PM

my thought too....but what i`m worried about is the noice level...seagate saids ...this drive st3250824as is bla bla bla quiet and stuff...but when i turned it on ...and installed os on it.....the noice was much higher than expected......i have the chance to change it and go for the wd...whould this be a smart move?

i have just used wd2500js this morning...and i could barelly hear any noice ...seek noice ....

i know that seagate is top of the line hard disk ..and the wd ..is behind it when it cames to reliability and speed...but the level of noice is much higher...
May 11, 2006 2:54:40 PM

You work in a computer store and you have to ask that???you need to either find a new line of work or go back to school.If you have to post such a simple question,then indeed you do not belong in a computer store.
May 11, 2006 2:56:30 PM

*deleted*
May 11, 2006 2:56:57 PM

f**k off man.......i hope i won`t drop in your working place :evil:  .....don`t be a trouble maker..........
i don`t expect to fix any problem with you arround...next......
May 11, 2006 2:57:04 PM

Comparing the official specs of the two:

Seagate
25 dBA idle , 28dBA seek acoustics

Western Digital
Idle Mode 26 dBA (average)
Seek Mode 0 31 dBA (average)
Seek Mode 3 27 dBA (average)

Looks like they are evenly matched
May 11, 2006 3:02:28 PM

i know my friend....i have studied them carrefully.....but they have different methods of measuring the noice level......seagate uses the reflected sound wave ...... in practice it makes a medium to low noice ...
the medium to high noice is much better........
not exactly sure but i think this one has 3 platters....this explains the level of noice ...... but wd alos has 3 platters...which is confusing...anyway....what i`m trying to say is that they do not give accurate enough informations.....
May 11, 2006 3:04:07 PM

Ho hum .... I guess if anyone uses these models they could give a better insight.

Good luck mate !
May 11, 2006 3:05:17 PM

Ho hum .... I guess if anyone uses these models they could give a better insight.

Good luck mate !
May 11, 2006 3:05:34 PM

he may be a salesman or even the cleaning guy... just because he works at a computer store does not mean that he necessarily works with computers.
Or do you think everyone at microsoft are programmers?
May 11, 2006 3:06:27 PM

i see seagate uses a formula ..... a certain amount of data ..certain situation...not real life usage of the drive......wd offers...an average noice level
May 11, 2006 3:13:16 PM

...as a matter of fact my friend i`m the engineer arround ..here.....this is how engineers should talk?

talk data to me......don`t try to be smart a*s...that`s the easy way.....this is exaclty the way it should be done.....

you smart a*s ..tell me how do you measure the sound level using a reflectometer...that`s of course if you know what the f*k is that....
p.s. copy-paste data from google is not allowed :wink:

off topic anyway ...i hope smart asses will go home and leave this forum for the engineers...sorry guys lets get back to the discution
May 11, 2006 3:19:02 PM

man... i was posting in defense of you, but it seems it was worthless

by the way, i'll have to agree with Dahak now, as you're the store engineer and you posted such a dumb question...

about the acoustics, if there's no regulation about the measurements methods, you're - again - a dumb for believing in a company's method of measuring noise levels... they will always say their product is the faster, durable, etc, etc AND silent... using their measurement methods, of course
May 11, 2006 3:19:19 PM

You know, Fanis;
No matter how much you know or think you know, I wouldn't let you within fifty miles of my computer just because of your attitude. Engineer or not you're rude. Swearing at people isn't how you make friends.
May 11, 2006 3:29:00 PM

well i appologise..but not my intention....
i did not started this ..you understand ...somebady early jumped on me ...you wish to continue the topic...you`re wellcomed...

i see you noticed i use the formula ..my friend...that`s a sign of good intention.......... :D 

it`s amazing to see how people can easilly jump on each other...i was though by my society not to jump without reason....incredible.....
i notice there are many people arround here ...same of them are kids..same of them are grown people same of them are engineers .....etc...

so leave the ....bad intentions....( :evil:  )...jokes.....( :evil:  ).....back home ..and try to be polite in public ..please.....kids arround here might get the wrong impresion.....

lets go back to the topic......
May 11, 2006 3:38:13 PM

hehe ..check this out man ...you wanna hear a good joke...imagine you have a problem with you comp or other electronic device.....guess who gets to fix your faulty power sources...faulty mobo....etc.....bla blabla.....me my-self and i ... samebady has to do it man...

the topic was about a certain sense that only a user can have.....using a device can draw conclusions...........making them work is engineer job my friend ...i hope you got the point.....

i wish you a good day
May 11, 2006 4:44:58 PM

I use Western Digitals. I've had no problems with them for years and the sound is pretty low. Thats what I recommend.....
May 12, 2006 8:22:21 AM

thanks allot guys...... :D 

good luck everybady
!