Sign in with
Your question

Digital Cable/High Def & Tv Tuner Cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 11, 2006 12:48:56 PM

ok so I have been trying to do some research and have had trouble understanding what the newer tuners are capable of. I want to upgrade from my many year old hauppauge basic tuner.

I want a card that I can watch and record my high definition programming through. Do I still need my high def cable box or could a card do it all? What are some of the better tuners that can work well with high def digital cable? My new home theater pc needs something like that so I dont have to keep switching from my pc av input to my cable box inputs. Help appreciated.

Ohh also my current video card is a X1900 cf edition and it said something about accelerating tv or something but I didnt really get how that worked. I know the theater 550 doesnt support hd.
May 11, 2006 1:19:53 PM

DVico - Fusion

I have the Fusion HDTV DVB-T Plus card for my computer.
It plays and records both hi & standard def on your computer.
There are some newer ones out like the dual tuner version.

Have a look through their website for info and models.
May 11, 2006 2:46:47 PM

It depends where you live. In North America HD tuner cards only recieve Over The Air (OTA) signals. I think in Europe and Japan there are a few tuner cards that will accept digital cable / satallite signals. This holds true for SDTV digital signals as well.

Most are tuner cards only. PVR functions are another issue. Most don't have PVR functionality bundled with them. I think ATI is the only one to offer PVR with HD reception.

Besides the Fusion card, there are also cards from MyHD.

For more info checkout. http://ruel.net/pc/tv.tuner.HDTV.htm
Related resources
May 12, 2006 2:42:34 AM

ohh now i am confused again. The "over the air hd" was what was confusing me before. So does the fusion work with hd cable? I am dying to get rid of my cable box so my pc can run everything. I need a card that works with digital cable, will record hd programming, and all that fun stuff my hd cable box does currently. Is there a way to have the cable box and one of these cards work together. I mean saving money to not have the box is much less of a concern than trying to streamline my media through only one connection (aka my pc) rather than having to switch between the two for my projector.
May 12, 2006 4:04:09 AM

http://www.fusionhdtv.co.kr/ENG/Support/Default.aspx

Type in digital cable in the search box.

Might have something to do with the descrambler in the cable box, I'm not sure.
Might be able to run the cable box into the HD card. Mine has RF and video in on it.
There should be a programme that does this, available on the internet somewhere.

Maybe a switch for the video cables might help? Last option.

What section of this planet are you living on?
May 12, 2006 5:16:23 AM

Quote:
ohh now i am confused again. The "over the air hd" was what was confusing me before. So does the fusion work with hd cable? I am dying to get rid of my cable box so my pc can run everything. I need a card that works with digital cable, will record hd programming, and all that fun stuff my hd cable box does currently. Is there a way to have the cable box and one of these cards work together. I mean saving money to not have the box is much less of a concern than trying to streamline my media through only one connection (aka my pc) rather than having to switch between the two for my projector.

May I confuse you more? Do you know what standard of HDTV you want? 1080i, 1080p, 720i etc?

Personally I run ATI. I looked through that DViCO site, and Ill be derned if I can find a spec as to what standard of HDTV they are working to. As for the over the air vs cable question, initially most HDTV telecasts were local (whatever you location) broadcast transmission. The cable compnaies have been comming on line the past 12 months or so, but typically only offer a limited selection of HDTV channels, i.e. 149 channels, but only 8 in HD. Sorry bud, but your pretty much going to have to keep your box, if you've got any premium channels at least. The box not only tunes, but descrambles on premium channels.

Looking through the vendors for the DViCO stuff, they claim both broadcast as well as cable HD unencrypted though they dont specifically state a standard either, it looks like 1080i. It looks like DViCO may be your solution. At this time, ATI still offers over the air HD tuning only

Vendor can be found here
http://www.cyberestore.com/dvico-fusionhdtv5rt-gold-plu...
May 12, 2006 8:01:43 AM

ok well I thank you for that link but I think a lot of that went off topic some of it made things more confusing and some added a bit of info.

OK well my projector displays 1080i and 720p along with some non standards

Are there tv tuners that can take the video in from the digital cable box and run the hi def channels and high def premium (HBO) channels as well? Are the software channel guides close to as good as my cable provider?

Is there any word on tuners coming out in the near future that support what I am looking for?
June 29, 2006 12:35:40 AM

I have been looking for a card that captures an HD signal after it has been descrampled by my Directv HD-DVR too. I have had no luck either! I even contacted Hapuage diredtly and asked them a few months back. Their response was they were working on some card that could Accept an HD signal. However they did not say when such a card would be released. This was a couple of months ago.

I think as HD becomes more of a standard more products will be released. Esspically with Blu-ray and HD-DVD just getting released. Its only a matter of time. THEY NEED TO QUIT LAGGING AND START PRODUCING!!!
July 11, 2006 1:14:43 PM

the big problem here, is that cable and satellite companies are not cooperating with video card manufacturers. They claim to be "working on it", but HDTV has been broadcasting for years now, and you almost cannot buy a non-HDTV support TV of any kind anymore. Don't you think by now the video cards would support it if they could?

Broadcasting companies are standing in the way of the consumer's access to be able to view and record broadcasted HDTV signals. They never liked the decision back in the day for VCR's being legal to allow recording of television shows, but now decades later, FAR FAR more people are *gasp* BUYING television shows in DVD format which were already broadcast! Take a look at any music store these days and see how many OLD tv shows are now available for purchase. Some shows cost over $100/season (especially Star Trek seasons)!

They WANT you to have to buy/rent their HDTV cable boxes/PVR's for some insane price, and they do not even allow you to specify what resolution, sound format, etc you wish to record at! You can bet the measly hardware in a Rogers PVR (for example) is NOT recording HDTV at its raw resolution quality, or with high quality WAV sound, because it's hard for a complete PC to even do that right now.

Don't buy their HDTV and PVR crap, because they will not allow us to build effective HTPC's for even VIEWING an encrypted HDTV signal. Why should I buy a $500 (canadian) Rogers HD pvr, when I could spend $1000 for a complete PC with far better hardware capable of doing the same thing, but Rogers does not allow me to do so.
Anonymous
November 8, 2008 11:44:45 PM

Hey Drobb 26, Great question, I'm with you, Money is tight and I don't want my cable bill to go from $15 cable bill to $99 just to get Digital HDTV. My question is, if I get a large flat screen can I find a video card that will take my didgital signal and turhn it into HD. Got to ask. I hav been enjoying FreeVo for years. all my PC have tuners and work great. If I upgrade to a big flat screen I'm screwed. Any Ideas EF
January 19, 2009 12:07:18 AM

At this point your best bet would be to get a onkyo receiver or another that up converts to signal to HD.
!