CH Products Pro Throttle USB

Hi All,

I'm finally just starting to tackle getting used to my CH Pro Throttle,
Pedals, and Fighterstick.

Strewth, more dials, buttons, knobs, hat switches than you can poke a
stick at!

What on earth does everyone use the mini joystick for, on the throttle??

My 'Sim flying is ~ 90% FS9, ~ 5% CFS2 and 3, and ~ 5% IL2 Forgotten
Battles, and so far, I've decided just to program all the assignments (to
the way I fly) in each of the 'Sims.

Is there any advantage to creating Maps, using CH Control Manager?

Regards,
John Ward

John;
I didn't even install the CH software for my setup which is exactly the same
as yours. I use the axis and button assignments available in the sim using
the simple direct X available in XP. Less hassles and less potential
conflicts. There's plenty of buttons and hats available without installing
the software.
Many use the CH manager...but in my opinion, the system is more stable
without a third party controller manager installed. This of course is
simply my own personal preference.
Dudley
"John Ward" <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I'm finally just starting to tackle getting used to my CH Pro Throttle,
> Pedals, and Fighterstick.
>
> Strewth, more dials, buttons, knobs, hat switches than you can poke a
> stick at!
>
> What on earth does everyone use the mini joystick for, on the
> throttle??
>
> My 'Sim flying is ~ 90% FS9, ~ 5% CFS2 and 3, and ~ 5% IL2 Forgotten
> Battles, and so far, I've decided just to program all the assignments (to
> the way I fly) in each of the 'Sims.
>
> Is there any advantage to creating Maps, using CH Control Manager?
>
> Regards,
> John Ward

Hi Dudley,

Well, I bought them on your recommendation, mate!

I agree re the less superfluous "stuff" running, the better, but I
thought I might have been missing some important point.

It's still got me st...'d what everyone uses the mini joystick on the
Throttle for - maybe I need to learn how to fly better, and then it might
dawn on me? :)

Regards,
John Ward
"Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote in message
> John;
> I didn't even install the CH software for my setup which is exactly the
> same as yours. I use the axis and button assignments available in the sim
> using the simple direct X available in XP. Less hassles and less potential
> conflicts. There's plenty of buttons and hats available without installing
> the software.
> Many use the CH manager...but in my opinion, the system is more stable
> without a third party controller manager installed. This of course is
> simply my own personal preference.
> Dudley
> "John Ward" <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm finally just starting to tackle getting used to my CH Pro
>> Throttle,
>> Pedals, and Fighterstick.
>>
>> Strewth, more dials, buttons, knobs, hat switches than you can poke a
>> stick at!
>>
>> What on earth does everyone use the mini joystick for, on the
>> throttle??
>>
>> My 'Sim flying is ~ 90% FS9, ~ 5% CFS2 and 3, and ~ 5% IL2 Forgotten
>> Battles, and so far, I've decided just to program all the assignments (to
>> the way I fly) in each of the 'Sims.
>>
>> Is there any advantage to creating Maps, using CH Control Manager?
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ward

I don't use it at all John. It's the one thing I can't imagine using in any
normal scenario. I understand that it can be programmed in the sim using the
CH manager, but I haven't looked for or found a use for it yet :))
> Hi Dudley,
>
> Well, I bought them on your recommendation, mate!
>
> I agree re the less superfluous "stuff" running, the better, but I
> thought I might have been missing some important point.
>
> It's still got me st...'d what everyone uses the mini joystick on the
> Throttle for - maybe I need to learn how to fly better, and then it might
> dawn on me? :)
>
> Regards,
> John Ward
> "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote in message
>> John;
>> I didn't even install the CH software for my setup which is exactly the
>> same as yours. I use the axis and button assignments available in the sim
>> using the simple direct X available in XP. Less hassles and less
>> potential conflicts. There's plenty of buttons and hats available without
>> installing the software.
>> Many use the CH manager...but in my opinion, the system is more stable
>> without a third party controller manager installed. This of course is
>> simply my own personal preference.
>> Dudley
>> "John Ward" <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I'm finally just starting to tackle getting used to my CH Pro
>>> Throttle,
>>> Pedals, and Fighterstick.
>>>
>>> Strewth, more dials, buttons, knobs, hat switches than you can poke a
>>> stick at!
>>>
>>> What on earth does everyone use the mini joystick for, on the
>>> throttle??
>>>
>>> My 'Sim flying is ~ 90% FS9, ~ 5% CFS2 and 3, and ~ 5% IL2 Forgotten
>>> Battles, and so far, I've decided just to program all the assignments
>>> the way I fly) in each of the 'Sims.
>>>
>>> Is there any advantage to creating Maps, using CH Control Manager?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> John Ward

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 13:13:00 +1000, "John Ward"
<johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> It's still got me st...'d what everyone uses the mini joystick on the
> Throttle for - maybe I need to learn how to fly better, and then it might
> dawn on me? :)

Probably the most common use is as a mouse. You can set it up to move
the cursor, set one of the buttons as the left mouse button and you
don't need to use the real mouse. In FS it also seems to be possible
to tune the radios with the mouse Z axis. Probably the only other
direct use in FS would be as a rudder axis if you didn't have pedals.
You can program it to send characters too, though, so you can set it
up to control zoom in and out, things like that, if you want to.

Best regards,

- Bob

The StickWorks
http://www.stickworks.com

O.K., I'll forget about it.

Thanks again.

JW
>I don't use it at all John. It's the one thing I can't imagine using in any
>normal scenario. I understand that it can be programmed in the sim using
>the CH manager, but I haven't looked for or found a use for it yet :))
> "John Ward" <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>> Hi Dudley,
>>
>> Well, I bought them on your recommendation, mate!
>>
>> I agree re the less superfluous "stuff" running, the better, but I
>> thought I might have been missing some important point.
>>
>> It's still got me st...'d what everyone uses the mini joystick on the
>> Throttle for - maybe I need to learn how to fly better, and then it might
>> dawn on me? :)
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ward
>> "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote in message
>>> John;
>>> I didn't even install the CH software for my setup which is exactly the
>>> same as yours. I use the axis and button assignments available in the
>>> sim using the simple direct X available in XP. Less hassles and less
>>> potential conflicts. There's plenty of buttons and hats available
>>> without installing the software.
>>> Many use the CH manager...but in my opinion, the system is more stable
>>> without a third party controller manager installed. This of course is
>>> simply my own personal preference.
>>> Dudley
>>> "John Ward" <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message

crash

John Ward wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm finally just starting to tackle getting used to my CH Pro
> Throttle, Pedals, and Fighterstick.
>
> Strewth, more dials, buttons, knobs, hat switches than you can
> poke a stick at!
>
> What on earth does everyone use the mini joystick for, on the
> throttle??

Strewth mate, if ya flew something that blew hot air out the back you'd find
a use for that lil joystick. I had the Thrustmaster setup many years back,
and as I recall (sold it when I discovered I had as much talent flying a
F-16 in combat as maybe doing aerobatics in the space shuttle) it was used
for things like target aquistion on the radar, and kewl stuff like that, and
also served as a mouse.......

Hi Bob Church,

Thanks for that, mate.

"Probably the most common use is as a mouse. You can set it up to move
the cursor, set one of the buttons as the left mouse button and you don't
need to use the real mouse."

AHA - I've been trying to find a way to do just that!

Do I need to use CH Control Manager/Maps to do that, or just find the
right assignments within the 'Sim?

Regards,
John Ward
"Bob Church" <sticky_NO_@_SPAM_stickworks.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 13:13:00 +1000, "John Ward"
> <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
>> It's still got me st...'d what everyone uses the mini joystick on the
>> Throttle for - maybe I need to learn how to fly better, and then it might
>> dawn on me? :)
>
> Probably the most common use is as a mouse. You can set it up to move
> the cursor, set one of the buttons as the left mouse button and you
> don't need to use the real mouse. In FS it also seems to be possible
> to tune the radios with the mouse Z axis. Probably the only other
> direct use in FS would be as a rudder axis if you didn't have pedals.
> You can program it to send characters too, though, so you can set it
> up to control zoom in and out, things like that, if you want to.
>
> Best regards,
>
> - Bob
>
> The StickWorks
> http://www.stickworks.com

Hi CRaSH,

Quitter! :))

"...and also served as a mouse......."

That's two votes for that - seems to be the way to go.

Geeze, you almost have to be a contortionist to use all these things at
the same time (that's going to be my excuse, anyway)! :))

Regards,
John Ward

John Ward wrote:
> Geeze, you almost have to be a contortionist to use all these
> things at the same time (that's going to be my excuse, anyway)! :))

hint: do NOT use them all at the same time...

OK - I'll go way now......

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 06:44:44 +1000, "John Ward"
<johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

Hi John,

> Thanks for that, mate.

You're quite welcome!

> AHA - I've been trying to find a way to do just that!
>
> Do I need to use CH Control Manager/Maps to do that, or just find the
> right assignments within the 'Sim?

Yes, you do need the Control Manager to do it. Then you just assign
the X and Y axes on the Pro Throttle to the X and Y axes on the Mouse
in the map. Some sims may allow for some other centering axis
functions, I know when I first saw the Pro Throttle back in 2000 they
had one set up in Warbirds(?) to control view direction. Continuous
panning up/down and left/right from inside the cockpit. If you run a
map you can also use it to send characters, turn it into an 8-way hat,
use it to set trim or zoom, lots of possibilities. It's just that
there aren't many centering-axis functions in Flight Sim that will use
it directly.

Best regards,

- Bob

The StickWorks
http://www.stickworks.com

Hi Bob Church,

Thanks for that - much appreciated.

I'll experiment with Control Manager.

Warbirds was the first 'Sim I noticed, after getting interested ~ 4
years ago, that had a "lighted" night environment....

I'm looking forward to seeing how Battle of Britain II is - paid for it
in advance ~ 2 months ago!

> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 06:44:44 +1000, "John Ward"
> <johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> Hi John,
>
>> Thanks for that, mate.
>
> You're quite welcome!
>
>> AHA - I've been trying to find a way to do just that!
>>
>> Do I need to use CH Control Manager/Maps to do that, or just find the
>> right assignments within the 'Sim?
>
> Yes, you do need the Control Manager to do it. Then you just assign
> the X and Y axes on the Pro Throttle to the X and Y axes on the Mouse
> in the map. Some sims may allow for some other centering axis
> functions, I know when I first saw the Pro Throttle back in 2000 they
> had one set up in Warbirds(?) to control view direction. Continuous
> panning up/down and left/right from inside the cockpit. If you run a
> map you can also use it to send characters, turn it into an 8-way hat,
> use it to set trim or zoom, lots of possibilities. It's just that
> there aren't many centering-axis functions in Flight Sim that will use
> it directly.
>
> Best regards,
>
> - Bob
>
> The StickWorks
> http://www.stickworks.com

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 13:50:51 +1000, "John Ward"
<johnrmward@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>Hi Bob Church,
>
> Thanks for that - much appreciated.
>
> I'll experiment with Control Manager.

Good luck with it, John! If you need any help, a good place for
questions, maps, etc. is over at the CH Hangar:

http://www.ch-hangar.com

Find the forums and just post away!

Best regards,

- Bob