• AM2

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Intel

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters

steveosazninvazn

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Do you think I should get the AM2 when it comes out? Will it be worth it, or should I just wait for Intel next thing to come out. (Intel 965 I think?) Which one would perform better? I have a fat wad of cash to blow so for now don't factor in price into the decision, make it pure performance.

davidflet9

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
I would wait until conroe is realeased. even if you decide to go for AM2 at least at that point you will be able to compare them fairly, then you will need feel like you have amde a listake buying the AM2 earlier if conroe turns out to be better! although i suspect that conroe will be the better choice as AMD have said AM2 is just a socket and memory upgrade (essentially).

desilver

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
Intel plans to unleash the first quad core CPU (Kentsfield) within one year. The switch to 45 nm in 2007 will enable eight cores and up to 12 MB L2 cache (Yorkfield) per CPU.

AM2 is AMD's new platform to build on. 2 / 4 / 8 processors in 1 cpu.
AMD is moving to the new die wafer as it is required for 8 cores.
AMD is behind Intel in getting to 45nm.

Although the DDR2-powered Athlon 64 platform is now up and running, AMD will not release it until June 6th.

Intel has offered a budget Pentium as part of its processor line-up for a little while now. With a simple modification, however, this CPU can outperform every top-of-the-line processor around. It costs 130.00.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores/

desilver

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
Conroe will be expensive. This D 805 IS CHEAP.
I HAVE STRUCK OC GOLD--NOW TO FIND A DUAL BOARD AND OVERCLOCK THE HELL OUT OF IT. 8)

YA HAAA. :D

ANY IDEA'S?????