Lord-Ilpolazzo

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Although more a software forumy post, i have a question about SuperPi and PiFast (which people always seem to use around here for testing/benchmarking etc.. so i reasoned itd b acceptable to post here)

Why do people always use SuperPi for benchmarking, as opposed to PiFast?

SuperPi seems to be hopelessly slow when compared to pifast, with super pi people always seem to calculate pi to 1 or a few million places, in 40secs or so but with pifast you can do pi to over 10million digits in the same ammount of time!.... anybody got any information on why that is? and why people prefer superpi for benchmarking

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Well, for me...I tend to be lazy :? Super pi takes 2 mouse clicks to start,

PiFast takes typing in a bunch of zeroes, 10000000, 1024, etc, and then to

top it off....when the calculation is done the result disappears in about 1-2

seconds. User Interface means alot nowadays.

M_with_one_M

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Nobody really cares how many digits of pi is calculated or even if the calculation is correct. All we need is a program that performs a easily repeatable workload for the cpu that gives a simple value in return for comparison.

Lord-Ilpolazzo

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
PiFast does exactly that.. plus the time taken is given down to 2 decimal places rather than just the closest second ( something that all u benchmarking freaks should like.. // oh look this comp beats an x by 0.02 of a second //)

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
PiFast does exactly that.. plus the time taken is given down to 2 decimal places rather than just the closest second ( something that all u benchmarking freaks should like.. // oh look this comp beats an x by 0.02 of a second //)

Super Pi Mod 1.4 does too :oops: