• Gigabyte 3D Aurora

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Ultra Aluminus

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

The_Rev

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
OK, guys... I need a hand. I cannot for the life of me decide between two cases for an upcoming gaming-rig build. Which would you choose? I'm torn.

Candidate 1: Gigabyte 3D Aurora

Pros:
Plenty of room inside
Comes with 3 120mm blue LED fans
Equipped to handle a water cooling system (which I may or may not want to add at some point down the line)
Filter over front intake fan
Easy entry
Can be purchased from newegg along with my other components

Cons:
Maybe too big?
$140
Not-so-stylish bulge on the front
No removable mobo tray
Smallish side window which lacks vents

Candidate 2: Ultra Aluminus

Pros:
Sleek and stylish with a terrific finish
Giant side window with vents over CPU and VGA areas
Removable mobo tray
Very light
$90

Cons:
Only 2 120mm fan ports
No included fans
No fan filters
No place to mount a 2x120mm radiator for water cooling
Not found on newegg -- would have to be a separate order
Not big enough?

What do you think? Thanks. :)

moparman390

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
Don't use the Ultra Aluminus, it's El Cheap-O. I live right near the Tigerdirect warehouse, the one where everything ships from. They have hundreds of this case in their store, it's the one they really push, so I have seen many of them in person. Many people I know have them. The plastic door on the front breaks off easily, the area with the Firewire and USB ports looks unfinished, and inside it is just not as nice as the Gigabyte Aurora. Ultra is the cheap brand that makes all kinds of junk. Plus you would have to deal with Tiger, I live witin driving distance, I used to work there (for the old Global Computer division, same company, in the same building), and I still will order from Newegg because their service is better and their prices are better too.

The_Rev

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
Thanks for the input, guys. Looks like the 3D Aurora wins in a landslide :wink: . When in doubt, bigger is better, I suppose.

Thanks again,
Rev

vimka

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Another vote for the 3d Aurora. I've built two computers using that case, and it is a dream to work on. Plenty of room, solid components, and not overly heavy or huge (then again I have a Thermaltake Armor, which I believe is bigger than a Dodge Neon :lol: ). In fact, it's so light, when I first picked it up I thought the metal would be very flimsy, though it is in fact quit sturdy.

The front really doesn't look anywhere near as bad in person as it does in the pictures, I promise.

The window is really not that bad, either. The only thing you really miss seeing are your HDDs and optical drives (who cares about that stuff anyhow?).

It's a good case, you won't regret buying it.

rman3349

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
In case anyone was wondering who voted for the Aluminus, Here I am. Howver, I'd like to explain myself by saying that I'm in the middle of my first porject currently and I'm using this case (yes it got it from Tiger because they're pushing it super hard). I like it a lot so far. I got rid of the cpu vent and added an 80mm fan there instead. Cooling is pretty solid and it looks really cool.

In conclusion, I don't necessarily think this case is better then the aurora, but I can tell you that you won't get burned with the Aluminus.