Project Eternity is Most Funded Gaming Project on Kickstarter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yargnit

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
If they really decide to leave that out when they would have undoubtedly reached the mark if they'd left the Kickstarter up for 15 more minutes I'll be extremely unimpressed with the company.

H8ff0000

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Yargnit[/nom]If they really decide to leave that out when they would have undoubtedly reached the mark if they'd left the Kickstarter up for 15 more minutes I'll be extremely unimpressed with the company.[/citation]

I agree 100%

tinfoilhatter

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
As far as Obsidian is concerned, funding did reach four million.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/61691-update-27-how%E2%80%99d-we-do-and-what%E2%80%99s-next/

zvermm

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
Reading Tom's for software news is like reading IGN for hardware news. Please keep to what you're good at.

valcron

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
Really should do you research when posting articles. They reaches the $4mil milestone around the 3.8mil mark. The donations on paypal were not included on Kickstarter. Below is a rough total from the end of the donation night. As far as I know paypal was still open for a while after the Kickstarter ended.

Kickstarter: $3,986,929
Paypal: $140,099
Total: 4,127,028

Now before someone says I should do the research myself and get the final totals, I am not a reporter am I? But if I could find this information out with a 5 second Google search there is no excuse for Tom's Hardware.

I understand its easy to just look at the Kickstarter and make an article but if your not going to do the research then your not doing your job as a reporter. This seems to be a constant problem with a lot of Tom's Hardware articles lately and why I visit this site less and less. It's sad, this used to be a great site for Tech related news, now you simply can't trust it to be accurate.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
sorry Obsidian, i dont believe i ever played a game from you that wasnt painfully buggy from the get go.

if the game comes out and isn't a mes, i will defiantly get it, but this is one case where previous reputation kind of proceeded you.

EVILNOD

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
I keep hearing publisher using kickstarters to off load their risk while keep the IP right. why would i want to help EA or activation while they are the one force DRM crap to me??
i'm 100% support inde shop, but last thing i want is helping those POS game publisher.

valcron

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
[citation][nom]EVILNOD[/nom]I keep hearing publisher using kickstarters to off load their risk while keep the IP right. why would i want to help EA or activation while they are the one force DRM crap to me??i'm 100% support inde shop, but last thing i want is helping those POS game publisher.[/citation]

Except Obsidian isn't either of those companies. Publishers like Bethesda have screwed them in the past and won't support them to make the games they want to make. Same with a lot of the old game developers. This is where Kickstarter comes in. If enough people agree with them and want to see these dev's make games they love/think look interesting they can support them. Obsidian is one company who has never had the opportunity, or rarely has, to make a game exactly the way they wanted to without restrictions/publisher demands. Project Eternity, thanks to Kickstarter, is their one chance to make a game exactly how they want. Some of the best RPG's were made by Obsidian in the past before Publishers started wanting nothing but COD levels of ROI on everything.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
doesn't obsidian have a lot of money? did they really need a kickstarter, wouldn't a simple poll suffice? I guess it's gonna be a trend where well known developers can get some guaranteed sales and money before putting any effort into the game.

valcron

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
[citation][nom]slabbo[/nom]doesn't obsidian have a lot of money? did they really need a kickstarter, wouldn't a simple poll suffice? I guess it's gonna be a trend where well known developers can get some guaranteed sales and money before putting any effort into the game.[/citation]

Actually they don't. Most developers themselves don't have the money to front their own game from production to distribution. Not to mention marketing. IIRC (someone correct me if I am wrong here) Obsidian had to lay of some of their staff after Bethesda screwed them. They earned little or no royalties on New Vegas.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
I just want to point out that I own a lot of Obsidian developed games (new and old) and every single one of them were so buggy as to break game play regularly. Some of them never even got fixed by the Obsidian and instead relied on community fixes (e.g. TOEE, Arcanum, KOTORII).

Obsidian is usually handed development of sequels when the primary developer has moved onto other projects and the sequel rarely lives upto the original game. They did a good job with Icewind Dale & Planescape, but have let me down repeatedly.

I'm not knocking early supporters, but I wouldn't pledge my money to a company with that unreliable of a track record. At the same time, if the game comes out, isn't unplayable, and is supported I'd be happy to throw down some cash for it, as it looks cool.

You need to READ. Publishers came to obsidian and said "Why don't you do a kickstarter, we will take the money, set your goals and deadlines, muck with the game, keep most of the profit and all the IP, and publish it"

And obsidian went "wait what? Why would we do that when we can do a kickstarter, keep you out of ruining the game when you do zero work, let our funders tell us what they want, not have crappy cash grabs or DLC, put all the money into it, make it run on windows, Linux and Mac, and release it on steam or DRM free on GOG. Not restrict it to some dumb publisher site *cough*origin*cough*"

Also, yay Toms Hardware: "reporting inaccurate information just to get clicks since xxxx"

G

dark_knight33 The only buggy game I put full on Obsidian is Alpha Protocol as it is their engine. I mean if Bethesda can't get their engine to run well what chance does a third party? KOTORII came out 1 year after KOTOR. I am fairly certain that it is the publisher that says how many updates and patches a game gets. Finally they did Dungeon Siege 3 almost bug free. (Though is was a boring game)
Finally Project Eternity is not going to be to complex technically to produce as it is isometric compared to a 3d fps and will have thousands of beta testers.

As for the article, The last stretch goal was just to keep the funding going, With the second big city goal reached they had all the content they wanted to do in the game. Now they have an extra 5-600k to hire some extra talent as needed if one section of development becomes bogged down.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I think they should have stopped at $1 million. With all the stretch goals they've got a ridiculous amount of "feature creep" which could extended development time to even DNF levels.

No... They have features they wanted to implement in the first place, but needed the cash to. There is no "Creep" it's all the main game. Ffs they did fallout new Vegas in 9 months

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Kickstarter is retarded. They're asking you to speculatively invest in something where the best possible return on your investment is a copy of a game with an approximate retail value of what you paid. It's all the investment risk of the stock market with none of the dividends, oversight, SEC, or regulation.

Afrospinach

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2012
[citation][nom]Achoo22[/nom]Kickstarter is retarded. They're asking you to speculatively invest in something where the best possible return on your investment is a copy of a game with an approximate retail value of what you paid. It's all the investment risk of the stock market with none of the dividends, oversight, SEC, or regulation.[/citation]

You are looking at this the wrong way, people don't throw money at kickstarters to get a return like a venture capitalist, they do it because they support the project. Not just anyone can throw up a kickstarter page either, they do have some requirements. The ones that get a tonne of funding are usually established devs looking to break away from publishers, a concept which in itself has a lot of support. Seriously, you should be excited, you don't have to go too far to find rants from fans and devs alike who are exasperated with the industry right now because of publishing deadlines and dlc(or other related nickel and diming schemes), this wrests all that control from them in addition to connecting us to the development process enhancing the probability of getting what we want.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Screw obsidian. I would not give them a cent. They totally destroyed the Dungeon Siege series for PC gamers. They should be paying us for the harm they have caused! PC hardware manufacturers should actually get together to push opportunistic scum companies such as this out of existence. In my opinion this is just another excuse to make some extra money from the gullible hordes.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
[citation][nom]afrospinach[/nom]You are looking at this the wrong way, people don't throw money at kickstarters to get a return like a venture capitalist, they do it because they support the project. Not just anyone can throw up a kickstarter page either, they do have some requirements. The ones that get a tonne of funding are usually established devs looking to break away from publishers, a concept which in itself has a lot of support. Seriously, you should be excited, you don't have to go too far to find rants from fans and devs alike who are exasperated with the industry right now because of publishing deadlines and dlc(or other related nickel and diming schemes), this wrests all that control from them in addition to connecting us to the development process enhancing the probability of getting what we want.[/citation]

No sir, you are the one looking at it the wrong way. To argue that all Kickstarter projects are vetted or carry any promise of success is false. There have been projects that failed to deliver as well as projects that were outright fraudulent (the kid who posted the plagiarized book, for one).

You say that developers and users are frustrated with the actions of the few mega-publishers right now. I won't argue it, but you don't state why crowd-funding is the best solution to independence. Put simply, it isn't (for investors, that is). There are already quite a few VERY well-defined and regulated paths to raising venture capital and selling securities - why on Earth should I get excited about shedding my voting rights, oversight, regulation, etc.? The crowd-funding format is designed around getting folks to make emotional decisions rather than sound financial ones, with the only true beneficiaries being the project starter (free money w/ no true obligations), Amazon (10% cut of all donations), and Kickstarter (another 10% cut).

Seriously, Kickstarter is not good for gamers. It's just another way to extract more money from consumers while delivering less.

Lord Captivus

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
We are always complaining about companies getting licenses and just waiting for others to do something and then send them a lawsuit.
I’m not gonna talk about the $4mm goal, I’m concerned about the fact that you can start a fund raising to make something in the future, it doesn’t make sense. It’s like the license issue.
I don’t even want to start talking about inflation.
I have one question (im not an expert on Kicksatarter): Who has the money now?? Obsidian? Can they make a profit using that money and then in 2013 say: “Costs are higher now than in 2012…we need more money…or we can just make the game worst than promised”.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
[citation][nom]Lord Captivus[/nom]Who has the money now?? Obsidian? Can they make a profit using that money and then in 2013 say: “Costs are higher now than in 2012…we need more money…or we can just make the game worst than promised”.[/citation]
Yes. It is their money now, aside from the 10% to Kickstarter and Amazon. The money that you've sent is essentially a gift, as any promissory issues could be considered securities, turning the process into something close enough to accepted investment and capital raising strategies that proper regulation kicks in. The system is setup such that all benefit goes to the project owners (and Amazon/Kickstarter) and none to the "backer" - the project owners can absolutely abscond with the money or release a product sufficiently different than promised, with the only recourse being a, possibly minor, hit to their reputation.

I would only see Kickstarter as a sensible vehicle for one kind of organization - charity: some not-for-profit endeavor, where one gives from the philanthropic spirit of helping others. Unfortunately, charitable organizations are not allowed to have Kickstarter projects. And I, for one, think the idea of giving money to for-profit agencies without any possible return is absurd.

michalt

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
Kickstarter is an opportunity for consumers to fund products and projects that they would like to see created. It gives creative people a chance to get funding for their ideas, and the people who fund it get a chance to see something created that may not have been otherwise.

Is it risk free? Of course not. Can people cheat using it? Of course. But that's true of anything, and I've been happy supporting the various projects I've given money to on Kickstarter.

If you can't afford to (either emotionally or financially) lose the money you put into a kickstarter project, don't. Personally I'd prefer to take a chance and see if I can help people create something interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.