Sign in with
Your question

is it safe pressure on my gpu chip?

Last response: in Overclocking
May 11, 2006 7:04:32 PM

on my gfx card, there's a rubber each on both side of my gpu chip, its a little higher than the chip itself so tht means not optimal contact between the heatsink surface n the chip surface.
so, i remove the rubber thing, reuse the stock paste n apply it thin, n fix the heatsink back, the temp on load drop from 63-65 to around 58. which is a nice improvement.
my q is tht by doing this, the heatsink is now directly on contact with the gpu chip, which means when the screw is tighten as it shud be, the heatsink is directly applying pressure constantly on the gpu chip...
is it ok tht way? im afraid it might cause long term damage or something to my chip..
and can someone recommend me a good thermal paste? not permanent stick type...
will someone advise me on this?
any help is well appreciated...thank you in advance

More about : safe pressure gpu chip

May 11, 2006 7:35:13 PM

That rubber washer is there for a reason so don't remove it. It's placed there so the screws and fasteners do not scratch anything and also prevents overtightning screws. Mine has a spring so it has a constant pressure but not enough that it could cause any damage. Do not apply to much pressure, you should only tightened the fasteners fingers tight. It only needs a contact with a small amount of pressure. As for thermalpaste, get an Artic Silver 5 as it is one the best you can get out there. Just apply a thin film layer and you're golden. :) 
May 12, 2006 7:38:02 AM

Quote:
That rubber washer is there for a reason so don't remove it. It's placed there so the screws and fasteners do not scratch anything and also prevents overtightning screws. Mine has a spring so it has a constant pressure but not enough that it could cause any damage. Do not apply to much pressure, you should only tightened the fasteners fingers tight. It only needs a contact with a small amount of pressure. As for thermalpaste, get an Artic Silver 5 as it is one the best you can get out there. Just apply a thin film layer and you're golden. :) 

There also there to keep heatsink flush on core, so it doesn't rock, and chip

the chip LMAO :D . So you can remove them as long as you're careful, when

installing HS/F. And yes AS 5 is great, and also OCZ Ultra5+(said to be

AS5 in OCZ packaging).
!