Second HDD - help!

xChaoSx

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
I read some of the other threads and i didnt find anything that could help me.

My situation. I got mobo K8V SE Deluxe, running XP pro. I got one 120 gig SATA 1 hdd placed in SATA 1 slot.

I just bought a SATA 2 250 gig hdd. When i place it into SATA 2, and boot my computer doesnt see either drive. When i place it into SEC SATA or PRI SATA it does see it but it wants to seup a raid which i dont want.

I want 2 seperate HDDs..im guessin either my bios is not set correctly or my mobo probly doesnt support SATA 2 and i dont know what to change to make it work. Im assuming my HDD needs to be plugged into SATA 2 slot, but then my mobo dont detect either HDD. Also the black power plugs are running on the same line from my power supply, but its the only cabale to have the proper plugs..dont know if thats a facter.

thanks in advance,

xx

AwsmGy

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
From what you describe the solution should be easy fix. Try partioning the entire second drive, that's what I had to do to get exactly what you're attempting.

xChaoSx

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
I dont see the second hdd in Device manager or Partition magic 8.0. I called Asus they told me to do 2 things, one in Bios set the promise control to IDE, which i did, and something about making it to SATA 1 speed with jumpers? I also found out its suppose to be in the PRI SATA slot.

MY second hdd is a Seagate Barracuda 250G SATA II 8M Cache Hard Drive btw.

Model: ST3250824AS

edit: Update i called Seagate, and they told me to try using 2mm jumps to set it to SATA 1 speed, but that might not be the problem.

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
If you have a Promise controller on an Asus motherboard, you need to go into the BIOS and set it to IDE mode, otherwise it will operate in RAID mode.

SATA1 and SATA2 are fully compatible.

I have 4 hard drives and haven't had any problems because I *gasp* read the manual. 1 80GB IDE, 1 250GB SATA 3.0GB/s, and 2 160GB SATA1.5s in RAID 0. RAID is on the promise controller. Other SATA drive is on SATA1 of the other controller.

xChaoSx

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
ok yea i put in the 2mm jumpers farthest away from the 2 cables like the Seagate guy said. I set my promise control to IDE also. I have service pack 2. MY device manager STILL doesnt bloody see my second HDD..i did everything Seagate and Asus has said:( Also i have the manual infront of me and i did read it. It only talks about raiding and now normal installation of 2 hdds. And my seagate didnt come with a manual because it was OEM, but i did go on there website to try and find a solution.

help!

zthecrippledangel

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Why dont u just disable to raid chip in the bios, then just plug the new HD into the PRI SATA and job done! it should see both drives and with raid disabled it wont try to make an array.

xChaoSx

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Ok thanks for the help. I found the problem i needed to update my Promise drivers. IT sees my hdd now.

Thanks again,

xx

xChaoSx

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Ok thanks for the help. I found the problem i needed to update my Promise drivers. IT sees my hdd now.

Thanks again,

xx

pat

Expert

Thanks again,

xx

Since VIA chipset don't support SATAII hdd, there is a jumper on the drive to turn it into SATAI. so, all you had to do was to read the drive label and move the little jumper..

butitoy

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
it's in the bios:
do you want to set your SATA drives to RAID? : NO!

then the windows will be able to access the drives individually.