How hurting is this BSOD?

G

I just fried my ASUS SLI mainboard. No big deal there; bought myself a new one. Same chipset just not SLI. I almost was sure I'd have to reinstall XP, but waheyy.... It worked. Almost. Since I reinstalled one week earlier I was happy that it was somewhat working. Didn't have the time to reinstall...

But: I get the occasional BSOD; and it's a bad one. Half a second BS, sometimes not even characters (remember C64 when the characters got all mashed up?) and then a cold restart. I know that could mess my filesystem and I would lose data. I don't care much about that.

But my concern is that I have to work with this installation for some time longer because I have no time to set the XP up right now. The big question now; could I damage my hardware with these coldboots? (temps are fine so far)

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
No hardware damage because of constant reboots.

Right click My Computer, choose Properties, Advanced tab, Startup and recovery Settings button. There's a checkbox in there to halt automatic reboot on BSOD. That may give you info to debug it.

You could try just replacing the mobo drivers - maybe there's a different version of some driver your new mobo needs. If that doesn't work, maybe a repair install.

Mike.