HP895cxi doesn't print yellow

Hi all,

I have the subject printer and it suddenly stopped printing yellow.
I've swapped color cartridges (HP brand) and, there seems to be no
yellow coming out of the cartage at all (yellow perfectly clean, while
the other two colors show ink). Printing the test page, doing alignment,
etc shows no yellow. It seems the yellow part of the cartridge is no
longer receiving signals through the contacts to give ink so probably a
circuitry problem.

Is it worth repairing this, or just get a new one?

Thanks!

"Xiccarph" <portw002@tc.umn.edu> wrote in message
> > I have the subject printer and it suddenly stopped printing yellow.
> I've swapped color cartridges (HP brand) and, there seems to be no yellow
> coming out of the cartage at all (yellow perfectly clean, while the other two
> colors show ink).

Most likely you have an old "new" cartridge. Check the "Install by" date on
the package or check the warranty date (= install by date + six months) as
shown at the following:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bua02014.
If the cartridge is still in warranty contact HP or your dealer for a
replacement. If the cartridge is beyond its warranty replace it with a fresh
cartridge. When buying a new cartridge I would look for one with at least six
months remaining before the "install by" date. You can verify that the problem
is the cartridge and not the printer by blotting the printhead on a damp
tissue; you will likely only see a stripe of magenta and cyan, with no yellow.

If you must store cartridges for an extended time keep them upright as they
would hang on a dealer display and avoid temperature extremes.

Regards,

Thanks,I'll take a closer look at the cartridge. This actually happened
to two cartridges...the one I was using and the new one I replaced it
with (I just figured the old one had run out of yellow). Just seems
less likely the same problem would occur for both cartridges.
Mike