Sign in with
Your question

7900GT, problems or no problems? experiences please

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 11, 2006 8:31:31 PM

I've seen a few posts already about people having problems with this card. It doesn't seem to be isolated to any manufacturer but to Nvidia's card itself. From the posts that I've read here and at other forums, some people have problems, while other don't. Most seem to say that it runs fine for a few days, then artifacts or weird colors show up. After a few RMAs, they find a stable one. It seems like a 50/50 chance that you'll get a good card the first time getting it.

I'm not interested in ATI, as I run Linux, and ATI drivers for Linux isn't the greatest.

Have these common issues been isolated and resolved, with a simply bios? Or is it due to the hardware itself?

I'm interested in the EVGA KO version. What was a little interesting was New Egg currently has all the 7900GT from each vendor as a highlighted item. Are they simply trying to unload them?

What have been your experiences? Good, bad, RMA hell?

Thanks in advance!
a c 358 U Graphics card
May 11, 2006 11:16:55 PM

While I do not own a 7900GT I can tell you that many brandnames sells overclocked 7900GT. The default speed core speed is 400MHz and memory is 1400MHz as stated on nVidia's website.

The EVGA KO that you are interested in is clocked at 500MHz/1500MHz. People are experiencing problems with the 7900GT and other cards because every brand overclocks them. That causes them to put out a lot of heat and suck up even more wattage. The artifacts these people are experiencing are due to overheating and maybe not enough power from the PSU.

EVGA has one that is clocked at 600MHz/1600MHz for $400, come on that's really pushing the core very hard, that a 50% overclock.

If you do buy an OCed 7900GT (and it's very hard not to), then spend the extra $$ for a better heastsink fan for it like the Zalman VF700 or VF900. And don't forget to make sure your case has good ventilation, otherwise heat will simply build up in your case and will eventually cause artifacts.

You may not want to hear this, but you may also want to decrease the core/memory speeds as well.
May 11, 2006 11:32:31 PM

so it's simply the heat from the oc'ing?

So the problem is solved with an aftermarket cooler (short of using liquid of course)?
Related resources
a c 358 U Graphics card
May 11, 2006 11:47:43 PM

Quote:
so it's simply the heat from the oc'ing?

So the problem is solved with an aftermarket cooler (short of using liquid of course)?

It could be other things too, like the PSU. Some people just dump the cheapest 500w (or whatever) they can find and expect thier PC to work. The problems lie with the 12v rail. Good PSUs will deliver 12v +/- 5%. Bad PSUs have 12v rails that can fluctuate as much as +/- 10%+. That's bad and can cause artifacts and even crash/freeze your PC.

Putting a Zalman VF700 or VF900 will help with the heat, but you also gotta make sure that your case has good ventilation, otherwise heat will get trapped in the case and slowly build up.
May 12, 2006 1:41:03 AM

I consider myself moderately knowledgeable and experienced in building a system. I understand what everyone is saying and I think some of the people that had problems with the gc "supposedly" had enough high quality power, had proper cooling and ventilation. That is what is giving me doubts of the card.

I was at the EVGA forums and looking at their specs it seemed that the people that had problems seemed to have enough power and cooling. I don't remember where I read it but, the vendor XFX had so much problems that they shut down the forums.

If I remember correctly, the 7900GT is suppose to draw less power then the 7800GT, hence the smaller cooler. So the people that were running 7800's shouldn't have any problems running the 7900. Right?

I'm not trying to argue with myself or anyone, just trying to input what I understand currently and comparing it to everyone's knowledge.

btw, the ones that have posted so far, are any of you running the 7900gt?

The reason I'm posting here is to reduce biased info from vendor fanboys or even the vendor techs themselves!
a c 358 U Graphics card
May 12, 2006 1:58:40 AM

Quote:

If I remember correctly, the 7900GT is suppose to draw less power then the 7800GT, hence the smaller cooler. So the people that were running 7800's shouldn't have any problems running the 7900. Right?

I actually have an ATI 9800Pro since I'm waiting for some real Conroe benchmarks to come out before I build a new PC with the 7900GT or X1800XT.

Anyway, you are correct the 7900GT does use about 5w - 8w less than the 7800GT due to the die shrink from 110nm to 90nm. nVidia stated that when the 7900GTs were initially released. That means a non-OC'ed 7900GT should dissipate about 50w under full load. People running the 7800GT should have no problems with the 7900GT as long as the 7900GT is not clocked higher. I said should because it's not a perfect world.

If you are going to get a 7900GT then I suggest you get nothing clocked higher than 500MHz/1500MHz (Core/Memory). Also make sure your case has good airflow, a powerful enough PSU, and be prepared to underclock it if necessary.

It's also good to get a Zalman VF700 or VF900 to better cool the GPU, and it'll be quieter than the stock fan anyway.
May 12, 2006 3:03:34 PM

My two evga 7900gt are running perfectly fine in sli @ 550mhz / 1600mhz on the stock cooler...
a c 358 U Graphics card
May 12, 2006 6:21:05 PM

It's not a very common problem but some people do have problems with OC'ed GPUs.

Like I stated before, it could be a bad PSU and the the GPU that is the problem.
May 31, 2009 6:02:22 PM

I just find a solution
in my particular situation that maybe could works for anyone how have in their basket trash a 7900gt w/artifacfts, mem problems. and a nfoce mobo (650i SLI)

looking for this kind of problem with the 7900gt in severals forums i end up with this steps:

1 - unistall everything nvidia drivers..(Use a wipe drivers)
in my case motherboard also (nforce users)
2- download ntune (5.05.54.00_ntune_winxp_international.exe), and geforce drivers (169.44_forceware_winxp_32bit_english_beta.exe) for me this is the best one.

3- install Ntune and set 2775 mhz on PCI-E reference clock, (Ntune/performance/adjust motherboards settings/ systems clock/ Clock reference PCI-E)

4. Save profile and set it up as defualt.

5. Restart , enter bios...on system clocks set clock PCIE to 110MHZ...

6- Restart, install GF Drivers (169.44_forceware_winxp_32bit_english_beta.exe) restart and voila! you should see your VGA running flat and smooth. :bounce: 

7- feedback welcome !!!

Cesar Lopez
zurdok_1982@hotmail.com

system:

P4 640 3.2 ghz 800/2 cache
ECS nforce 650iSLI
2GB Patriot 800mhz
MSI 7900gt 500/750
PSU 700W
160GB HDD
DVD-RW

a c 271 U Graphics card
May 31, 2009 9:19:55 PM

After nearly three years it's probably safe to assume nobody cares.
June 1, 2009 1:07:12 PM

i've seen recent post in others forums about this...
a c 271 U Graphics card
June 1, 2009 1:19:06 PM

Well this thread is three years old, not what I'd call recent.
!