dual channel even on?

Paaullyy

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
hey guys,
~im not a comp wizz so mind my language~
i have an asus a8ngx motherboard, which i think supports dual channel, i have 2x 512mb ddr400, which did not come in a kit, i just bought them single,
but they are both the same. i opened up my comp and they are installed in the first and 3rd slots.

how can i tell if my ram is running on dual channel or not?

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
They need to be in slots 1 and 2 or 3 and 4 to work in dual channel.

I've never seen a 'dual channel on/off' option on any BIOS, and others have said you can't switch it on or off, just move the sticks to the correct slots, so I'd be inclined to say you can't switch it on and off.

If you have 4 DIMM slots, you probably have dual-channel, if you have 3, you don't. Just move the stick in slot 3 to slot 2 and you'll be running in dual channel, if you have it.

Paaullyy

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
thx for ur replies.
i got 4 dimm slots, if i move the stick in slot 3 to slot 2, my comp wont start, and all u hear is a really long beep, so i think il just leave it in slot 3

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Then you can't run dual channel, and there's something wrong with your board and/or RAM.

Run Memtest86 (google it) for a few hours and check your memory for errors then post back.

Sonic_Reducer

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
i don't know about amd but on intel boards the dual channel is in 1 and 3 to be dual channel and 2 and 4 , if its on 1 and 2 or 1 2 and 3 slots it's not dual channel, but i think your memory is in dual channel, it's usually informed in post' if you can't see post because any fancy asus logo showing up just push tab and you will see, usually it informes you of you'r ram speed if it's to fast jus push the pause break and th post will stop, to resume just push return or enter or any other key :D

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Are you sure that's the model number of your mobo? I can't find it on the Asus website. If you post the correct model number it'll take less than a minute to find out the dual channel capabilities.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Picky about the RAM? I thought Asus AMD boards were just picky about PSUs!

It could be, but if it works in slots 1+3, but not 1+2 what would the problem be?

linux_0

Splendid
Picky about the RAM? I thought Asus AMD boards were just picky about PSUs!

It could be, but if it works in slots 1+3, but not 1+2 what would the problem be?

a8n5x-000027.png

You were absolutely correct :-D

1+2 = Dual Channel

1+3 = Single Channel

Now about being picky... it varies.

I have an ASUS board ( A8V-DLX with the hated K8T800Pro chipset ) which refuses to POST with my Corsair XMS PC3200C2 but works fine with Corsair Value RAM PC3200.

A virtually identical board from another MFG with the same K8T800Pro chipset works just fine with the same RAM.

Regarding the OP's issue, I suspect the modules are not really identical.

Da_Banig

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
Linux, I am not sure if text on manual is correct. I have built lotta system with Asus motherboard, to run duel channel you have to install both of them 1 and 3 or 2 and 4, the slot's color is the same inorder to run duel channel. Blue - Blue or Black - Black.

Da_Banig

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
Yes but if it's 1 & 2 then slot 1 and 2 would be black or blue. All the asus motherboards I own, they distinguish duel channel by the slot color. Best way to find out is ask him to test it out.

linux_0

Splendid
Linux, I am not sure if text on manual is correct. I have built lotta system with Asus motherboard, to run duel channel you have to install both of them 1 and 3 or 2 and 4, the slot's color is the same inorder to run duel channel. Blue - Blue or Black - Black.

These are the same:

p5wd2-e-000042.png

p5wdg2-ws-000038.png

1-2
3-4

are the dual channel pairs [ of course real geeks start counting at 0 ;-) ]

Tyan boards use the same color pattern too for the most part (Blue / Black ).

Sonic_Reducer

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
note my 2 cents i've installed that board and for running dual channel like it did gos for A1+B1=dual channel A2+B2=dual channel A1+A2=one channel B1+B2=One chanel so my conclusion A1+B1 two channels runnig here ;) just me thinking they use the color schem to diferenciate them the 2 dimms wich should be using dual channel.

Sonic_Reducer

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
the post on gives information if it's dual channel or not but the best way to check, benchmark it sandra on one way then on another way, but dual channel works just like the earli rimms it has to be in pairs in alternate channels ;) their lost ;)

Sonic_Reducer

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
the one way to check it's with the bios post it gives that info, but you can always try to go with some bencheis with sandra and see wich way it's faster or with everst and see what info he gives, because dual channel it works like the earlie rimms it has to be in pairs and on in each channel or else in rimm it won't work and in ddr dual' it's not dual it's single because dual channel = 2 channels if you are putting all in the first channel it's not dual channel it's single channel

turbo_mcgillicutty

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
I agree with you. To run dual channel you will need to populate slot A1 and B1. I have an A8N-E and that is the way it works with that board. As to tell if you are running dual channel or not, it will tell you when it posts. On the A8N-E, it will run through the memory check. After that, states the ram speed and wether or not it is running in dual channel or single channel.

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
Yeah, even my crappy ECS board tells me during startup whether or not its running in dual channel or not. It tells me how much memory I have, the clock speed, and how wide of a bus its running (128bit for dual channel). Of course on this board I have to use slots 1 and 2 not 1 and 3 but oh well. You can also use Everest to check if you're running dual channel. It'll tell you all kinds of other nifty stuff too.

-mcg

nitehawk92

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
I don't know about your ASUS board, but my ABIT Motherboard displays in the BIOS during boot up that my memory is running in Dual Channel Mode. Next time you boot up look and see if about the time your memory goes throught the checking process it also displays that memory is running in Single channel or Dual channel mode.