Epson 1290 stopped printing

Hi,

1290 won't print anything. Black or colour. It operates as if its printing
but absolutely nothing appears on the paper. Cartridges have been replaced
and nozzles cleaned several times. There are no warning messages about low
ink or 'document failed to print'. Sponge has been sponged...

Help!

Regards
George

Epson is usually very good about answering Email within 24 hours.
Unfortunately it sounds like you will be looking for a new printer soon.

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 21:09:44 +0000 (UTC), in comp.periphs.printers "George
Jamieson" <george.jamieson@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>1290 won't print anything. Black or colour. It operates as if its printing
>but absolutely nothing appears on the paper. Cartridges have been replaced
>and nozzles cleaned several times. There are no warning messages about low
>ink or 'document failed to print'. Sponge has been sponged...

I assume you ran the nozzle check util and get nothing out of that? How
long since you last made a print.? I had a problem with the head capping
mechanism on my 1270 nor working properly causing total head clogs. To
clear remove the top cover to gain access to the head parking station. Move
the head to the left as if you were going to replace a cartridge and look
at the sponge in the capping mechanism. Lightly soak sponge with windex.
and blot out with paper towel until it's white Then lightly soak the sponge
and move head back. Let set for a couple hours a. Repeat until all the ink
is removed from the bottom of the print head and the sponge doesn't change
color. May need to leave "soaking" overnight. Then try head cleaning and
nozzle checks until all nozzles are firing properly.
----------
http://EdwardGRuf.com

It more than likely is a massive set of clogs. If you haven't yet sent
away for my Epson cleaning manual, please do so. It explains how to
correct most clogging with Epson printers in a fairly easy and very cost
effective manner.

The manual is free for the asking. Just email me. The process uses
household cleaning supplies for a couple of bucks. I don't sell you
anything, and I do not spam or otherwise exchange or sell addresses.

Art

George Jamieson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 1290 won't print anything. Black or colour. It operates as if its printing
> but absolutely nothing appears on the paper. Cartridges have been replaced
> and nozzles cleaned several times. There are no warning messages about low
> ink or 'document failed to print'. Sponge has been sponged...
>
> Help!
>
> Regards
> George

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

This is not in response to Arthur's post but could be taken into
consideration also his response is welcomed.

I had a 1270 which is identical and the same thing happened, new but old
stock was never used in a long time 4 years and what ever was tried
still would not able to print. (New fresh ink cartridges used also)

Taken to Epson repairer and he said it was the pump that had stopped
working - and he replaced the pump - no charge warranty.

Comments appreciated as I don't understand what the pump is or where.

rm

Arthur Entlich wrote:
> It more than likely is a massive set of clogs. If you haven't yet sent
> away for my Epson cleaning manual, please do so. It explains how to
> correct most clogging with Epson printers in a fairly easy and very cost
> effective manner.
>
> The manual is free for the asking. Just email me. The process uses
> household cleaning supplies for a couple of bucks. I don't sell you
> anything, and I do not spam or otherwise exchange or sell addresses.
>
> Art
>
> George Jamieson wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> 1290 won't print anything. Black or colour. It operates as if its
>> printing but absolutely nothing appears on the paper. Cartridges have
>> been replaced and nozzles cleaned several times. There are no warning
>> messages about low ink or 'document failed to print'. Sponge has been
>> sponged...
>>
>> Help!
>>
>> Regards
>> George

Hi Rob,

Attached to the cleaning station (the area where the heads rest when
parked or when doing a cleaning cycle) is a tube that leads to a vacuum
pump. In some older models there are two pumps, one for the colored
heads and one for the black head. This pump is driven by the same
gearing that runs the paper advance. It is a fully mechanical pump, that
uses a non-centric cam which "milks" a piece of silicone tubing to
create the vacuum. This vacuum is transferred to the cleaning station
when the heads are pressed over it and sealed with a rubber dam around
them. The vacuum's purpose to to pull ink out of the nozzles of the
head. This both clears partially dried ink, and helps to start the flow
of ink when a new cartridge in installed.

Failure of the pump is relatively rare compared to ink clogs due to
dried ink, but a failed pump can lead to excess dried inks under the heads.

More common that the pump failing are: the rubber dam not sealing well
around the head, meaning vacuum loss, the vacuum purge tube coming off
from the bottom of the cleaning station (more commonly in C and CX
printers), or the cleaning station having become mispositioned and not
engaging correctly.

Art