Sign in with
Your question

How is this Gaming and School Computer

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Gaming
Last response: in CPUs
May 11, 2006 9:42:50 PM

I will be using this for gaming and for school. The school work is nothing intensive but the gaming will be. Here is goes.

Update ASPIRE X-Superalien w/500Watt PSU
AMD 3000+
DFI Lanparty Ultra-D
G.SKill Extream Ram PC4000(2gigs)
eVGA 7900GT KO
Western Digital 250GB HDD
NEC 16X DVD±R DVD Burner
Microsoft Windows XP PRO

Many people on these forums has helped me improve this build. This is a budget build and am trying to get the best for my money. Which is around 1100. Later in the year I plan on adding Thermaltake Bigwater watercooler so I can get the most out of the 3000+. I plan on Overclocking a lot and also the only reason I am going with the 3000+ is because I plan on upgrading to AM2 next summer when all the bugs are worked out and there are a variety of motherboards and other things are out. But most of all I want to know how all of this will perform at stock and also keep in mind I plan to OC.

More about : gaming school computer

May 11, 2006 9:48:34 PM

Thought I was on the general hombuilt :D 
a c 487 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
May 11, 2006 9:54:16 PM

Quote:
I will be using this for gaming and for school. The school work is nothing intensive but the gaming will be. Here is goes.

Come on, admit it. It's OK. This is strickly a gaming machine unless Microsoft somehow upped the ante and now requires you to have a $200+ video card before you can even use Word to write your term paper.
Related resources
May 11, 2006 10:00:19 PM

Good deal, just a word of advice on watercooling, don't get a kit, build your own !

A car heatercore can be bought dirt cheap and will outperform those crappy evaporator style radiators that are usually found in kits, same goes for pumps and waterblocks, you can get much better for your money than the POS hardware those kits come with.
May 11, 2006 10:07:37 PM

Quote:
Good deal, just a word of advice on watercooling, don't get a kit, build your own !

A car heatercore can be bought dirt cheap and will outperform those crappy evaporator style radiators that are usually found in kits, same goes for pumps and waterblocks, you can get much better for your money than the POS hardware those kits come with.

I will have to do a lot of looking up if I want to do that . I will think about it tho. Are you saying it will be cheaper to build your own?
May 11, 2006 10:09:16 PM

Quote:

Come on, admit it. It's OK. This is strickly a gaming machine unless Microsoft somehow upped the ante and now requires you to have a $200+ video card before you can even use Word to write your term paper.

Yes I will be doing a lot of gaming but I really do use it for school. Seriously :D 
May 11, 2006 10:28:04 PM

think about getting the intel 805, its dual core and you also overclock three kinds of s£$t out of it! probs be better after overclocking and its DUAL CORE! tis a tad more $$$ tho
May 11, 2006 10:36:54 PM

Quote:

I will have to do a lot of looking up if I want to do that . I will think about it tho. Are you saying it will be cheaper to build your own?

It's just like building your own computer, you can get better performance for the same amount of money but it's also easy to get carried away and spend more than what you intended to.

For example, a Swiftech Storm waterblock is almost twice as expensive as a DangerDen TDX or Swiftech Apogee, just like for CPUs and GPUs, twice as expensive doesn't mean twice as effective.

One really bad thing that I've got against watercooling kits is that some of them are no better than a mid to high end HSF.
May 11, 2006 10:40:34 PM

I dont think it will be cheaper to build your own watercooling system, but I do know that watercooling kits are notoriously bad and they often have short lifespans before they start leaking etc. (water shooting all over the place inside my computer is not my Idea of a good time :D  ). So buy cheap chineese crap or buy nice chineese crap, the choice is up to you.
!