Need for speed, USB Edition :)

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Im thinking its my os, but I could be wrong, Whenever I place my jump drive, the little icon on the corner says" You are using a high speed usb into a non-high speed ubs port" WTF???
Is it someting to do with my connections or does it have to be configured through XP??
Before it was transfering files quick, now when I want to place a 100mb file, it takes 5min, before it used to take 20sec.
I'm thinking its connections, Any clue???

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Usually you'll get that type of message when you plug a USB 2.0 capable device into a USB 1.1 port. I would check your device manager and see what your USB port is reading as. Then update your drivers for it.

passing-thru

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2006
Pls. check that your USB2.0 drivers are intact and not corrupted.
By default, Windows will use only USB1.1 until you install the USB2.0 drivers for it.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
they all said it, for whatever reason, your running USB 1.1

In addition to what the other posts said, check your bios, ensure you "USB 2.0 support" enabled, or all the drivers in the world wont help you.

If you have the option, you will also want to enable the "USB 2.0 mass storage" or "USB 2.0 mass storage controller" options

Peace

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
I'm guessing that you do have SP2 for XP installed if ur running it. Best thing is to check in device manager if their drivers are installed correctly and that the ports are all working fine.

First check then update us. And we'll take it from there.

chocobocorey

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
slipstream SP2 with XP onto a disc so you can do a fresh install with XP SP2. however the install wont go thru if your usin the infamous FCKGW

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Well, I dont want to reformat my HD, just got done intalling everything, Is there any other way to install sp2?? I've got the cd for it, now i jsut need to find a way to install.
By the way, I uninstalled my usb drivers, and reinstalled them, notihing happened, Before I was running it on full speed. WTH :twisted:

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Earlier in the past, I've downloaded SP2, but not fo IT users, It said that I was using an invalid key,which I was, and It wouldnt intall sp2 on my pc, so you are saying that THis IT SP2 will work for my oS??

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
HEHehe, I;m not going to spend Money on an oS that will soon be beaten by VISTA :!:
I'm saving my money for the VISTA :!:
Till then, all the power to me :twisted:

steckman

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
That's cool. I'll be getting Vista too when the first Service Pack comes out. I will tell you that there are cracked versions of XP that work with SP2. I can't point you to them though, 'cause that's not my bag.

delanooch

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
HEHehe, I;m not going to spend Money on an oS that will soon be beaten by VISTA :!:
I'm saving my money for the VISTA :!:
Till then, all the power to me :twisted:

Like you did for XP right? LMAO

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
If I can find a way to pirate vista, then hell yea I would, other than that, it leaves me no choice. Just how it was with Half-Life 2, had to buy th damn thing :twisted:

hashv2f16

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Pls. check that your USB2.0 drivers are intact and not corrupted.
By default, Windows will use only USB1.1 until you install the USB2.0 drivers for it.

i know for a fact that usb 2.0 is already in windows xp sp2.

in my case, the solution to this problem has always been that an option in the bios needs changing. flick your way through the BIOS Setup until you find the USB options menu. in there you'll find options such as 'legacy usb support' and others relating to USB speeds. enable all the USB modes and if it comes up with a list of selectable options like USB - High Speed, Full Speed, you want to select 'Hi Speed'