Internet Connection Encryption Possible??

ara

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
hey guys, don't know how many people will be reading this down here, but i'd like to know if it is possible to have an encrypted internet connection at all times (i'm supposing that this would require an external server somewhere else in the world (read on)) but is there any way that, encryption could be implemented (apart from https) that would for example,allow me to view tom's hardware without anyone eavesdropping on the connection (obviously not by ear) being able to decode the data?

the system i have right now involves a K6-2 being used for several small network tasks (dial up modem and printer are hooked up to this, as well as my software firewall (zone alarm)) which connects to the network through the switch. so therefore, if the software has a processor overhead, it should not be a problem (assuming the processor is fast enough to process it)

Sorry for the longish post, but recently i've been increasingly worried about security (and not about toms hardware), thanks

Ara

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
I don't believe what you're asking is possible, unless Tom's server can encrypt the data as it leaves there. Basically, having encryption at only 1 end of the pipe doesn't do any good - it has to be encrypted by Tom's servers.

So, yes, its possible to do, but I doubt Tom's will allow you to put encryption on their server.

That is what I would call a VPN... at least, that's what I'd use to implement what you ask.

Mike.

Da_Banig

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
I agreed with fishmahn , the encryption will be on Tom's server instead of yours, since we are posting on their server. Of course they will not do that, but let's say if they do, then us as writers/readers would need a special access key to unencrypt the encrypted data in order to read.

jaculum

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
You could set up a proxy that could interpret outgoing data for compatibility, and it could encrypt incoming data, so that unless the proxy you communicate with is being monitored, your connection is secure.

Don't ask me how to do this though. I can't program, and I realy only understand the basics of networking.

steckman

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
Yes, you could have a secure connection between your computer and a proxy. But the connection between your proxy and some site like Tom's Hardware would still be insecure. And your overall security is only as good as the weakest link.
If you are just trying to hide your tracks, you could use an anonymous proxy. But if you want security, you'll need to look for secure websites.

ara

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
thanks for all the replies guys, confirmed what i suspected (i would need a server elsewhere to encrypt the data (which isn't gonna be feasible))

Thanks,
Ara

User-Guides

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
Everything you r asking about is possible and can easily be achieved depending on your level of expertise you have a few options.

If you want to encrypt all communication on your machine then you need a secure tunnel which will tie up all your ports / email news etc wrap it all up into one data steam send it using maybe the two twofish algorithm to a remote server which will unencrypted it. THIS IS AVAILABLE FOR ANYBODY RIGHT NOW FOR FREE

In the uk the government reads every email and every single data transaction via a packet sniffer that resides between your isp and you. However this kit cannot read a data stream that’s already encrypted. If you take a look at anonymizer.com (setup originally by the same guy who went to prison in the US for writing the program PGP which stopped the usa government from reading email) you will find an interface that’s usable and switches on and off with a button.

Anonymizer’s new system is an easy interface that encrypts everything inbound and out, the server in the states gets all the info (much like a proxy) and sends it to you.. As far as im aware the encryption is unbreakable.. Worth noting in many European countries if you do not give up your encryption key when asked to, you can go to jail for up to 3 years.. ho humm

If you want to use something open source and free, stunnel can be used to go through news grups with upto 512 bit encryption but you will need to hunt down the right servers

All in all if users of the net put enough pressure on their respective ISP and governments about privacy issues, it would be very easy to upgrade the iexplorer SSL modules to cope with far bigger encryptions codes than 128 as currently it is believed that ALL SSL can be read via the hugely powerful THINKING MACHINES that the US use to crack codes.. If ie was upgrades SSL could be adopted, as bandwidth and systems speed become wider and more powerful respectively, pretty much you would not see much of a slow down in normal web use.

Anyway i digress .. basically if your not happy about the feds uk or otherwise reading looking at everything you do then use anonymizer it will cost around £80 per year.. the downside is that at peak times the sever side is slow due to a lot of bandwidth being used

Moreover if you want privacy permanently then start pushing to have the current privacy abuses that the governments of the world are pushing on us revoked..

There is also a FREE version at anonymizer so take a look.. I hope this helps!!

Im nothing to do with them by the way lol .. I run

http://www.user-guides.co.uk

Jamez

ara

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
OOOH OOOOH, anonoymizer.com didn't "work" and even when i found the plugin, it didn't work

downloading TORcp now, see what it can do (apparently it does some fancy shmancy encryption too)

Ara

ara

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
WOHHOOOO: it worked. i'm on the onion network juss now. the only problem is that it is relatively slow. (i thank you all for your replies again). the connection is encrypted and routed several times. the exit node decrypts it. the routers change constantly (every 10 or so minutes.) i respect everyone who is set up as a router. and it would be nice (if you have the bandwidth) for you guys to become some yourselves, you would be helping many people in positions such as myself and almost everyone (who has access to the network) in china and elsewhere. Thanks again. ENCRYPTION ROCKS!

http://tor.eff.org/
(the normal TOR will allow you to become a router if you configure it.

Ara

TRENDING THREADS