strpdgato

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
I just put in a FX 5200 to off-load my integrated graphics. The card supports dx9, which is kind of pointless since it's a budget card that can't really run anything dx9 resonably.

I heard somwhere that downgrading to dx8 or 7 might increase performance in some games, is this true?

I use my comp for casual gaming (games no higher than dx8.1, i.e Warcraft 3) and occasionaly watchin' dvd's. I've been noticing studdering framerates in my gaming, could a step down to dx8.1 help me? will it have any complications w/ Win XP?

any advice would be greatly appreciated

my ultra cool 8) system is as follows:
P3@933mhz, 256ram(pc133), evga FX-5200 128MB pci (up from intel815i),
40GB IDE, stock 135W psu(yea i cant believe it's pulling my rig either 8O ) Win XP Pro (SP2).

4745454b

Titan
Let me take a stab at this, though I'll be the first to admit I could be wrong.
You want to stay with DX9. What DX you use isn't a matter of the card, but rather the game. If you have a DX9 card, which you technically do, and have DX9 installed, you'll still use DX7 or 8 if that is what the game is coded to use. I know that some games like Halo will let you pick which render path you want to use, DX7, 8 or 8.1. (don't quote me on the 8.1, I know it lets you choose between 7 or 8.) If I understand your thought process, you want to uninstall DX9, and install 8, which isn't going to fix your problem. If games aren't running the way you want, patch it, pick a lower DX render path, lower the res/AA/AF, or upgrade the card.

Mobius

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
It is impossible to revert to an earlier version of Direct X.

Oh - you could use the old "Format C:" trick - but there is no reason to. The latest version of DirectX is by far the best. In all circumstances. On all machines. Bar none.

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
don´t downgrade directx. Dot it only if the game you're playing has that option.
I can´t play COD2 in Directx9 mode @1280x1024 and stay above 25fps. So I play in Directx7 maxed out and 4XAA and Trilinear Filtering. Not as beautiful as dx9, but I play it above 60fps :)

strpdgato

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
yeah, I see what you guys are saying, though im still a little skeptical, i'll just leave it at dx9 cause i think i might be kicking a dead horse.

thanks for your input everyone

cleeve

Illustrious
Downgrading DirectX doesn't do a damn thing for speed. Certainly, running a DirectX 8 game will probably be faster than a DirectX 9 game, or running a game's DirectX 8 path will run faster than it's directX 9 path.

But that has nothing to do with the DirectX version you have installed. It's the game, if it has the option, not your directX install.

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
it's always best to have the latest release of directx... even if you dont play dx9 games, it might have some improvement for older versions as well.
by the way, the 5200 is not that useless card as you're saying, as long it is the 128-bit version

TRENDING THREADS