Sign in with
Your question

FSB+RAMDIV vs. MULTI

Last response: in Overclocking
May 12, 2006 4:05:41 AM

hey guys, have a 3200 and would like to oc to somewhere between 2.2Ghz and 2.6Ghz. satisfy point is 2.4

so, here's the question: the fsb or htt is the signal rate between ram and cpu right? my motherboard or ram, not sure which, has this special divider thing that says 10/CPU in CPU-Z. that means no ram overclocking.
in that case i suspect increasing the fsb/htt is not going to increase any actual data transfer between the cpu and ram, but only increasing the cpu clock cycle, in that case setting the multiplier has the same performance increase, right?

to put it the simple way: 200x12(5:6) or 240x10(1:1)?

if that's the case then i'll probably not mess with the clock and just set the multi to 12 or 13.

one extra question: which setup generates more heat, 200x12 or 240x10?

More about : fsb ramdiv multi

May 12, 2006 8:38:44 PM

Firstly, the divider that you see shown in CPU-Z is simply a calculation done by said program to show what frequency the memory is running at.

Different bioses (is that the correct plural of bios?) provide this in different ways. Most will allow you to manually set the frequency of the memory (200MHz, 166MHz, 133MHz, 100MHz). Others will provide you with dividers that you can set (1:1, 5:4, 4:3, 2:1). The latter method is used on DFI boards I believe. Both methods effectively provide the same function.

When you increase the FSB/HTT, this increases the frequency of the signal to both the cpu and the memory. So, if you run the memory at 1:1 or 200MHz, then increase the FSB to 220, the memory frequency will also increase to 220. When overclocking, you would therefore need to either use memory capable of running at these higher frequencies (DDR500 for example) or drop the 'divider' (either set memory frequency to 166MHz or divider to 5:4, for example). I know of no bios that will automatically adjust the divider when you increase the FSB/HTT (although I am not saying that none exist - just that I am not aware of one).

The AMD64 3200+ has a stock speed of 2GHz, which means it has a x10 multiplier. This multiplier cannot be increased (increases are locked), although it may be decreased. This means that the only way to get the overclock you want is to increase the FSB/HTT. Only the AMD FX models allow an increase in the multiplier.

Regarding temps, taking your theoretical example, there should be no difference in temps between 200x12 and 240x10 if the vCore is the same. Heat is generated based on the power consumption of the CPU (and it's inherent ineficiencies in converting that power into....whatever).
May 13, 2006 6:01:51 AM

oh thanks
but im pretty sure i can set the multi higher... its shows up in the bios.
maybe its because mine's a manchester.... that means its a duo core with one disabled.
May 13, 2006 7:58:11 AM

If you are able to increase the multiplier, then that would be the best way to OC, and as the FSB/HTT remains at 200MHz, you can leave the memory running at 1:1 (200MHz).
!