Help - Video Card Hitting 115+ Celcius...

The_BojanG

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
Hi all,

Haven't posted anything on Tom's forums before as I just read articles on here from time to time but I'm having a problem that I can't seem to figure out.

I installed a EVGA 6800GS AGP video card recently when it came out a few months back and everything was working just fine until it blew out my 350-watt power supply. I also have 2 HD's, a CD-ROM, and DVD Burner hooked up so I guess it just couldn't handle the extra juice.

So I bought a 550-watt supply as a replacement and now I'm having an issue where the temperature warning keeps coming up telling me my card is approacing the 120C threshold while I'm playing games (even ones that aren't that graphically intensive).

I had been overclocking to about 400/1100 before without issue up from the stock 350/1000 and I had unlocked an extra vertex shader and attempted to unlock the 4 extra pipe lines (which I was unable to do). To see if that was the problem I reset the card to it's default clock speed and disabled the unlocked vertex shader so it was back to it's vanilla form but that made no apparent difference.

The GPU core idles at around 74C when I'm just at the desktop.

My tower is clean with good air flow, and the fans seems to be in working order. I have a back vent fan on the case, the fan on the 6800, the CPU fan, and the power supply has it's own fan. For testing purposes I took out my secondary hard drive and CD drive and made sure the case was getting proper circulation. There's also nothing near or next to the video card.

I would guess that this might have something to do with the power supply giving the card too much juice but is this something I can fix? I'm also concerned I might have done some damage when the power supply went. Or should I be looking at something else entirely? Any suggestions would be a huge help.

Thanks all,

Jason

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I wonder if a different driver would help. Uninstall the current one, then install

other. Maybe the driver is reading wrong temp. Might be worth a try. Can

always go back to current driver. Do you have Everest installed. If so, does

it tell same temp. If not download it, install and open sensors window. Just

one more question. Did you remember to plug in Molex into end of graphics

card when you changed PSU...maybe not getting needed power, and causing

a problem?

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
hmmm try running your computer with your case side panel off if that helps the temps it is likely the heatsink/airflow. also feel the cards heatsink if its burning hot like 120c hot then you have a problem but if its just warm or a little hot then your temperature sensor could have just died. Good Luck.

cleeve

Illustrious
I'd guess that your cooler is becoming unseated from the GPU for whatever reason.

Before you do anything else, take it off, scrape off the crappy thermal tape, and reseat it with some Arctic Silver.