Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Microsoft Turns the Surface Tablet Into a Skateboard

Last response: in News comments
October 17, 2012 4:46:57 PM

I doubt any other manufacturer will do that to one of their tablets. Hey, let's stand on it!
I started freaking out when I saw the Surface ad were everyone was throwing them around and catching them with the magnetic keyboards. I was like, "Ah! You're insane!" But, it seems that I was just a scaredy cat.
Score
October 17, 2012 4:53:08 PM

At least we know that it is truly a multi purpose Tablet
Score
Related resources
October 17, 2012 5:05:23 PM

The tosses tablets were CG.
Score
October 17, 2012 5:19:30 PM

hmm, you can use it a skateboard, but unfortunately our 600 dollar tablet is too slow to even stream Xvid movies. =[
Score
October 17, 2012 5:22:41 PM

More publicity please... near the threshold of puking.
Score
October 17, 2012 5:27:34 PM

Hmm, let's see
- Tegra 3 (like the $200 Nexus 7)
- 1366x768 (1/3 pixels of the new iPad)
- less than 8 hours battery life (according to their own specs sheet)
- few apps (most at beta stage)
- costs $500 (without the touch cover)...

No wonder they're trying to distract customers with dancing and skateboards. I would buy it if they distracted me with Ballmer's head on a pike.
Score
October 17, 2012 5:36:49 PM

I'm waiting for the Dinner table tablet you can eat off of and play Crysis 3 while you are eating. :p 
Score
October 17, 2012 5:53:42 PM

Cool; are the wheels standard or extra ?
Different color option? Powered wheels?

I'd like those spinner wheels please; they are soooo cool :-)

/SARCASM
Score
October 17, 2012 6:12:17 PM

Pricing is going to be key. If the lowest price tablet is $500.00, it is going to be very difficult for microsoft to get into the market. It seems they priced windows 8 right by allowing users to have a $39 upgrade and the fact that it looks like it will be fully integrating to the PC is great. Microsoft has alot riding on this but the right moves could open the doors to other things.

For example: I will eventually upgrade my PC to windows 8. If I can get a cheap windows tablet, I could sell my android tablet and get a surface tablet. Then when my phone contract comes up (if I happen to really like the Metro UI), I could possibly get a windows phone. Then, when then next generation of consoles come out I would probably favor the microsoft console simply because of the integration (I currently own a PS3).

So technically, microsoft has the ability to sell me 4 different items but the main deciding factor will be the quality of the OS and how integral it is to other devices, and the price of the tablet.
Score
October 17, 2012 6:14:23 PM

Strap some rocket engine to it, and the setup will be complete.
Score
October 17, 2012 6:19:52 PM

such stupidity
Score
Anonymous
October 17, 2012 6:27:58 PM

possibly because he knows its a POS?? lol
Score
October 17, 2012 6:28:51 PM

Ok, looks like I haven't been up on the times. The prices have been released and it is going to be $500 for the base model. That certainly does not make me want to run out and get one and at that price it would really need to be spectacular to attract alot of attention. I do know some of the hardcore pc users will actuallly opt for the total solution of the high end Core i5 model but those numbers are miniscule compared to the average pc/tablet user.
Score
October 17, 2012 6:46:47 PM

A true tablet for those on-the-go. *rimshot*
Score
October 17, 2012 7:15:07 PM

Heh, Nvidia-colored wheels to match the Tegra 3. :p 
Score
October 17, 2012 7:32:12 PM

Is it just me, or does it look like a standard skateboard (wood or some other material) with the Surface merely buy into a cut-out in the middle? Hardly seems like the test of strength they make it out to be.

See the matte surface at the top and bottom of the skateboard. The surface is the shiny part embedded in the middle.
Score
October 17, 2012 8:13:35 PM

A Surface Skateboard...."Surfboard"? A new way to 'surf' the web =P
Score
October 17, 2012 8:19:59 PM

next: Tony Hawk does tricks on a cgi tablets
Score
Anonymous
October 18, 2012 1:15:49 AM

spookieAt least we know that it is truly a multi purpose Tablet

On the Pro, just run Prime95 and you have a portable hot plate.
Score
Anonymous
October 18, 2012 3:14:04 AM

with all of the money Microsoft has you would think they would have used a better camera to take those blurry as hell pictures! must have been a windows phone taking them hahahahahaha!!!!! EPIC FAIL!!!!
Score
October 18, 2012 3:21:21 AM

So, can you overclock the wheels and make it faster?

/sarcasm
Score
October 18, 2012 5:12:34 AM

neon871I'm waiting for the Dinner table tablet you can eat off of and play Crysis 3 while you are eating.

So am I Was way more excited for the surface table than the tablet.
Score
Anonymous
October 18, 2012 9:40:20 AM

Yawn, another marketing gimmick. Lets do a normal, run of the mill, drop test and we shall see how TOUGH surface tablet really is.

But no, that will be 7 years of bad luck if it breaks into a thousand pieces...
Score
October 18, 2012 12:50:07 PM

killerclickHmm, let's see- Tegra 3 (like the $200 Nexus 7)- 1366x768 (1/3 pixels of the new iPad)- less than 8 hours battery life (according to their own specs sheet)- few apps (most at beta stage)- costs $500 (without the touch cover)... No wonder they're trying to distract customers with dancing and skateboards. I would buy it if they distracted me with Ballmer's head on a pike.

Yea but i runs windows, so its the only computer you need if you are a casual user.
Score
October 19, 2012 3:58:40 AM

killerclick1366x768 (1/3 pixels of the new iPad)
Yes because pixel count tells the whole story, no need to bother checking out things like display type, brightness, contrast, glare, color reproduction, etc. Yes sir, resolution is the only factor when buying displays! What idiot shops for a high-end display when you can get the budget no-name poorly calibrated Walmart special and it has just as many pixels. Same thing applies when shopping for a new smartphone, pixels > universe. I don't think I need a sarcasm tag for that.

While I won't be buying one, the new Surface tablets are undoubtedly a premium offering. Comparing one to a Nexus is just silly. There are a lot of things they nailed with Surface. The build quality, the display, the materials, the radio, large internal storage + microSDXC expansion, full size USB, Office, all fantastic. They're on an entirely different playing field from the Nexus or Fire devices. So I understand how they came to be so costly, even though I was hoping for something in the $350-400 range.

I'll be curious to see where other RT designs land. Lenovo was talking up a good game.
Score
October 19, 2012 6:13:33 AM

killerclickHmm, let's see- Tegra 3 (like the $200 Nexus 7)
Also, everyone keeps saying this. But you do realize there's more than one Tegra 3 variant, right? The Nexus uses a T30L IIRC. Not that it will be much faster, but the T30 in the Surface will have slightly faster clocked ARM cores, and the ULP Geforce is clocked quite a bit faster, and I'd bet it is paired with faster memory. The T30 is also the same chip the Transformer Prime uses, FYI.

Not night and day, but not "It's the exact same chip" either. Plus it uses DDR3-L, which I'm sure played a role in their decision.
Score
!