Toshiba satellite DVD copy protection problem.

bobloadmire

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
i have a toshiba m105-s322 and i just reinstalled windows fresh, installed drivers from the toshiba cd, then did a complete windows update, then installed WMP11 installed ace mega codec pack. i get and error when i try to play commercial dvds. "Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card."

tried it all. whats goingon?

bobloadmire

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
yeah i tried WMP11, i have never had problems with it playing dvds. but youo know when you opo a dvd in your drive and it tries to install thier own custom player? i tried that and it gave me the same error.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
WMP cannot play DVD's on its own... in order to play DVD's you need to pay a rather steep licensing fee (I forge tthe amount) anyhow considerning the number of downloads it would be expensive for MS. WHat you probably had before on your PC was WinDVD or some other DVD player software, if that is instlaled then WMP can use it t play back DVD's. COnsidering virtually every PC comes with that stuff pre-installed you probably have the CD somewhere...

This page explains it:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/bridgman02april15.mspx

if you want to verify I think at least one of the codec makers has a free 30 day trial... but this is your problem.