Hardware problem

Last response: in Video Games
August 10, 2005 2:46:55 AM

I recently made myself a nice present by purchasing a new - and hopefully
more competitive - system. The specs are as follows:

Processor: Pentium IV, 3.6 GHz, socket 478
Motherboard: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-7046, 1 GB RAM
Chipset: Intel Grantsdale i915
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
Version: 6.00 PG
Graphics: Sapphire Radeon X600 pro, 256 mB RAM, newest
Catalyst Drivers

Performancewise I have absolutely no complaints as I run now FS 9 with all
sliders maxed and RealAir Spitfire at constantly 25frames/sec (limitied to
25).
However one severe problem has shown up at various times in FS9 and CFS3. At
irregular intervals - sometimes after 10 mins, sometimes after 2 hrs,
sometimes never - I got a complete reset (not CTD), sometimes only a lockout
without any resetting possibilities (except for the magic button). It's
definitely not a thermal problem, as I monitor temperatures constantly and
no exceedances show up. (Processor temperature always below 70°C).
Rumours had it that it could be an issue with the onboard sound chip. Before
I dig into that I would like to know whether any of the hardware hotshots
here have any information about that or any other idea what could be the
cause.
Thanks in advance
--
Oskar Wagner
(retired Captain)

Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes....

More about : hardware problem

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 2:46:56 AM

Oskar,

By complete reset do you mean a reset of FS or of Windows?

Iain

"Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
news:D db4kb$ran$1@news.hispeed.ch...
>snip<
> However one severe problem has shown up at various times in FS9 and CFS3.
> At irregular intervals - sometimes after 10 mins, sometimes after 2 hrs,
> sometimes never - I got a complete reset (not CTD), sometimes only a
> lockout without any resetting possibilities (except for the magic button).
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 2:46:56 AM

>I recently made myself a nice present by purchasing a new - and hopefully
>more competitive - system. The specs are as follows:
>
>Processor: Pentium IV, 3.6 GHz, socket 478
>Motherboard: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-7046, 1 GB RAM
>Chipset: Intel Grantsdale i915
>BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
>Version: 6.00 PG
>Graphics: Sapphire Radeon X600 pro, 256 mB RAM, newest
>Catalyst Drivers
>
>Performancewise I have absolutely no complaints as I run now FS 9 with all
>sliders maxed and RealAir Spitfire at constantly 25frames/sec (limitied to
>25).
>However one severe problem has shown up at various times in FS9 and CFS3. At
>irregular intervals - sometimes after 10 mins, sometimes after 2 hrs,
>sometimes never - I got a complete reset (not CTD), sometimes only a lockout
>without any resetting possibilities (except for the magic button). It's
>definitely not a thermal problem, as I monitor temperatures constantly and
>no exceedances show up. (Processor temperature always below 70°C).
>Rumours had it that it could be an issue with the onboard sound chip. Before
>I dig into that I would like to know whether any of the hardware hotshots
>here have any information about that or any other idea what could be the
>cause.
>Thanks in advance

Complete reset or lockup usually spell "hardware problem". As you have
checked the temperatures (what is the one in the box? RAM can get hot
as well and is not reported like CPU or video - you need a good
airflow in the box) I would be suspicious of the RAM, is that one row
or are you using dual-channel with the 915?

===
Best Regards
Katy
August 10, 2005 2:46:57 AM

Iain, thank you very much for your attempt to a very quick and thorough
help. It's a complete reboot exactly as if you would hit the "reset"
button.

--
Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 23:56:32 +0200, "Oskar Wagner"
<rengaw@swissonline.ch> brought the following to our attention:

>Thank you Caty for your immediate reply. To be honest I haven't opened the
>box yet. According to AIDA32 which I use to retrieve information on my
>system its: DDR SDRAM Module size 512 mB (2 rows, 4 banks). The system
>features a regulated cooling fan for the CPU which can be heard to run high
>on graphic applications. The strange thing is that even after a prolonged
>time under hot ambient conditions it's not happening every time (we had
>quite hot weather lastly and I had a room temperature of around 26°C). Now
>it's much cooler and still happens.

One time a buddy suggested to buy a new case with featured `easy
accessibility'. So around this `case' I bought all the components to
make a system including RAM. It would reset for no reason (do not
recall if it Blue Screened). The RAM was purchased at a PC show and
turns out it was faulty. I brought it back and they tested the RAM
in their `memory tester' unit and one module was bad. It was replaced
and no more problems occurred.

So perhaps pull the RAM modules and have them tested by vendor.

-Gregory
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 3:37:56 AM

Well, it's a comlete reset of the system as if you would hit the "reset"
button and then booting up normally.
--

"Iain Smith" <iainsmith.rugby@btinternet.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:D db5n1$pos$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Oskar,
>
> By complete reset do you mean a reset of FS or of Windows?
>
> Iain
>
> "Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
> news:D db4kb$ran$1@news.hispeed.ch...
>>snip<
>> However one severe problem has shown up at various times in FS9 and CFS3.
>> At irregular intervals - sometimes after 10 mins, sometimes after 2 hrs,
>> sometimes never - I got a complete reset (not CTD), sometimes only a
>> lockout without any resetting possibilities (except for the magic
>> button).

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 3:49:27 AM

Could there possibly be some software firing up in the background that is
causing the system to flame out when FS9 is operating?

You may want to check to see if anu spyware is operating in the background.
Mike

"Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
news:D db4kb$ran$1@news.hispeed.ch...
>I recently made myself a nice present by purchasing a new - and hopefully
>more competitive - system. The specs are as follows:
>
> Processor: Pentium IV, 3.6 GHz, socket 478
> Motherboard: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-7046, 1 GB
> RAM
> Chipset: Intel Grantsdale i915
> BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
> Version: 6.00 PG
> Graphics: Sapphire Radeon X600 pro, 256 mB RAM, newest
> Catalyst Drivers
>
> Performancewise I have absolutely no complaints as I run now FS 9 with all
> sliders maxed and RealAir Spitfire at constantly 25frames/sec (limitied to
> 25).
> However one severe problem has shown up at various times in FS9 and CFS3.
> At irregular intervals - sometimes after 10 mins, sometimes after 2 hrs,
> sometimes never - I got a complete reset (not CTD), sometimes only a
> lockout without any resetting possibilities (except for the magic button).
> It's definitely not a thermal problem, as I monitor temperatures
> constantly and no exceedances show up. (Processor temperature always below
> 70°C).
> Rumours had it that it could be an issue with the onboard sound chip.
> Before I dig into that I would like to know whether any of the hardware
> hotshots here have any information about that or any other idea what could
> be the cause.
> Thanks in advance
> --
> Oskar Wagner
> (retired Captain)
>
> Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes....

August 10, 2005 9:45:08 AM

"Katy Pluta"
> Complete reset or lockup usually spell "hardware problem".

Underline what Katy said because it's a 99% truism.

I was having the exact same problem the past two weeks, flying along and
"zap" black screen and a reboot. I fixed it by upping the voltage on my
processor, but my processor is overclocked and that would be expected.
(Down the road you could try to up the voltage a bit, but not this early on
in this process.)

Again, that symptomatic behavior is classic of hardware, especially CPU and
GPU problems, especially since it only happens during graphic intensive
applications.

What are your processor temperatures? For a CPU, anything near 70°C might
be too warm even though it's within the manufacturers specs . My CPU runs
at 45°C.

General system diagnostic methods would tell you to disconnect everything
you don't need to run the sim. i.e. Disable the on-board sound, gameports,
disconnect CD ROMs... everything. Run the computer on basic life support
and see if it trips up again. If it does you can focus on the core
components. If not, add components back in until you recreate the problem.

Dallas
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 12:45:09 PM

Oskar,

What rating is your psu. On my old pc I had added so much hardware,
together with the monitor drawing power from base unit too and it would
randomly reset. I had to give monitor its own supply to ease the pressure
on psu. If your memory is ok and temp fine it may be this if it doesnt give
out enough juice for the old lady to fly!

Ibby

"Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
news:D db4kb$ran$1@news.hispeed.ch...
>I recently made myself a nice present by purchasing a new - and hopefully
>more competitive - system. The specs are as follows:
>
> Processor: Pentium IV, 3.6 GHz, socket 478
> Motherboard: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-7046, 1 GB
> RAM
> Chipset: Intel Grantsdale i915
> BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
> Version: 6.00 PG
> Graphics: Sapphire Radeon X600 pro, 256 mB RAM, newest
> Catalyst Drivers
>
> Performancewise I have absolutely no complaints as I run now FS 9 with all
> sliders maxed and RealAir Spitfire at constantly 25frames/sec (limitied to
> 25).
> However one severe problem has shown up at various times in FS9 and CFS3.
> At irregular intervals - sometimes after 10 mins, sometimes after 2 hrs,
> sometimes never - I got a complete reset (not CTD), sometimes only a
> lockout without any resetting possibilities (except for the magic button).
> It's definitely not a thermal problem, as I monitor temperatures
> constantly and no exceedances show up. (Processor temperature always below
> 70°C).
> Rumours had it that it could be an issue with the onboard sound chip.
> Before I dig into that I would like to know whether any of the hardware
> hotshots here have any information about that or any other idea what could
> be the cause.
> Thanks in advance
> --
> Oskar Wagner
> (retired Captain)
>
> Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes....

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 2:12:01 PM

"Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
news:D db4kb$ran$1@news.hispeed.ch...
> However one severe problem has shown up at various times in FS9 and CFS3.
> At irregular intervals - sometimes after 10 mins, sometimes after 2 hrs,
> sometimes never - I got a complete reset (not CTD), sometimes only a
> lockout without any resetting possibilities (except for the magic button).
> It's definitely not a thermal problem, as I monitor temperatures
> constantly and no exceedances show up. (Processor temperature always below
> 70°C).

Oskar, I'm assuming from what has been said so far that this only occurs in
FS9 and CFS3. This has me puzzled. First of all did you have any problems
installing either programme or did the installs go smoothly. In my
experience with faulty memory, this often shows itself during install when
the installer is writing to memory and comes to a faulty sector. Then a
lock-up or reset is likely. However, Windows XP is a fairly sturdy operating
system, especially when compared to Win 98SE and while I can understand a
programme doing a CTD, taking out XP is fairly major. It does point to
hardware as I would expect a software conflict to maybe take out the
programme but not the OS. From what you say, it doesn't seem to be
temperature so I must admit that memory is the prime suspect. I'm rambling
really, trying to think of a solution, but if you have more than one stick
of memory installed you could take out one at a time and run without each
one to see if that cures it. A hard drive problem could also take out the OS
but as yours is new this is not likely. Presumably a complete fresh install
of Windows was done? This is important with XP when there is a major
hardware change. If you tried to copy your old installation on to your new
hard drive this could certainly cause problems such as you're experiencing.
Reading this it's probably not much help but I throw it in for what it's
worth! :0))

Iain
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 2:55:12 PM

Yes Dally, I agree that this would be a way to solve the problem. The main
obstacle on this is at present that I cannot establish a condition where a
shutdown occurs in any case. It's just random. But I'll give of coure a try
to find a worst case setup. I'm presently doing a lot of testflights with
FSPassengers so I'll have many, many occasions to dig into that ;-) (ohh,
and before someone starts asking: yes the shutdowns occurred also before
installing FSPassengers.....)
--

"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> "Katy Pluta"
>> Complete reset or lockup usually spell "hardware problem".
>
> Underline what Katy said because it's a 99% truism.
>
> I was having the exact same problem the past two weeks, flying along and
> "zap" black screen and a reboot. I fixed it by upping the voltage on my
> processor, but my processor is overclocked and that would be expected.
> (Down the road you could try to up the voltage a bit, but not this early
> on
> in this process.)
>
> Again, that symptomatic behavior is classic of hardware, especially CPU
> and
> GPU problems, especially since it only happens during graphic intensive
> applications.
>
> What are your processor temperatures? For a CPU, anything near 70°C might
> be too warm even though it's within the manufacturers specs . My CPU runs
> at 45°C.
>
> General system diagnostic methods would tell you to disconnect everything
> you don't need to run the sim. i.e. Disable the on-board sound,
> gameports,
> disconnect CD ROMs... everything. Run the computer on basic life support
> and see if it trips up again. If it does you can focus on the core
> components. If not, add components back in until you recreate the
> problem.
>
> Dallas

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 3:02:57 PM

PSU is at 280 Watts. I might have to check on that too but as at the moment
I only run the standard components installed which are mobo, graphics card,
harddisk 160 GB, 2 CD/DVD drives and card reader.
--

"Ibby (The Artist Formally Known as Chris)" <chris@mwapartnership.co.uk>
schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:D dceql$h6v$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Oskar,
>
> What rating is your psu. On my old pc I had added so much hardware,
> together with the monitor drawing power from base unit too and it would
> randomly reset. I had to give monitor its own supply to ease the pressure
> on psu. If your memory is ok and temp fine it may be this if it doesnt
> give out enough juice for the old lady to fly!
>
> Ibby
>
> "Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
> news:D db4kb$ran$1@news.hispeed.ch...
>>I recently made myself a nice present by purchasing a new - and hopefully
>>more competitive - system. The specs are as follows:
>>
>> Processor: Pentium IV, 3.6 GHz, socket 478
>> Motherboard: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-7046, 1 GB
>> RAM
>> Chipset: Intel Grantsdale i915
>> BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
>> Version: 6.00 PG
>> Graphics: Sapphire Radeon X600 pro, 256 mB RAM, newest
>> Catalyst Drivers
>>
>> Performancewise I have absolutely no complaints as I run now FS 9 with
>> all sliders maxed and RealAir Spitfire at constantly 25frames/sec
>> (limitied to 25).
>> However one severe problem has shown up at various times in FS9 and CFS3.
>> At irregular intervals - sometimes after 10 mins, sometimes after 2 hrs,
>> sometimes never - I got a complete reset (not CTD), sometimes only a
>> lockout without any resetting possibilities (except for the magic
>> button). It's definitely not a thermal problem, as I monitor temperatures
>> constantly and no exceedances show up. (Processor temperature always
>> below 70°C).
>> Rumours had it that it could be an issue with the onboard sound chip.
>> Before I dig into that I would like to know whether any of the hardware
>> hotshots here have any information about that or any other idea what
>> could be the cause.
>> Thanks in advance
>> --
>> Oskar Wagner
>> (retired Captain)
>>
>> Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes....

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 3:02:58 PM

Oskar

280 watts sounds very light. I'm sure your cpu and graphics alone will be
using a lot.
I have an Athlon64 3000+, 512Mb PC3200 Ram, Radeon 9800 Pro (128 Mb)
graphics card (which alone recommends 350 watts)
80G H-D, 60G H-D, DVDRom, DVD/RW, Video Capture Card. I'm using a 500 watt
psu with no resets. They can be picked up reasonably cheap in UK. £30-50.

Hope this helps

Ibby

> PSU is at 280 Watts. I might have to check on that too but as at the
> moment I only run the standard components installed which are mobo,
> graphics card, harddisk 160 GB, 2 CD/DVD drives and card reader.
> --
> Oskar Wagner
> (retired Captain)
>
> Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes....
>
> "Ibby (The Artist Formally Known as Chris)" <chris@mwapartnership.co.uk>
> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:D dceql$h6v$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>> Oskar,
>>
>> What rating is your psu. On my old pc I had added so much hardware,
>> together with the monitor drawing power from base unit too and it would
>> randomly reset. I had to give monitor its own supply to ease the
>> pressure on psu. If your memory is ok and temp fine it may be this if it
>> doesnt give out enough juice for the old lady to fly!
>>
>> Ibby
>>
>> "Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
>> news:D db4kb$ran$1@news.hispeed.ch...
>>>I recently made myself a nice present by purchasing a new - and hopefully
>>>more competitive - system. The specs are as follows:
>>>
>>> Processor: Pentium IV, 3.6 GHz, socket 478
>>> Motherboard: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-7046, 1 GB
>>> RAM
>>> Chipset: Intel Grantsdale i915
>>> BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
>>> Version: 6.00 PG
>>> Graphics: Sapphire Radeon X600 pro, 256 mB RAM, newest
>>> Catalyst Drivers
>>>
>>> Performancewise I have absolutely no complaints as I run now FS 9 with
>>> all sliders maxed and RealAir Spitfire at constantly 25frames/sec
>>> (limitied to 25).
>>> However one severe problem has shown up at various times in FS9 and
>>> CFS3. At irregular intervals - sometimes after 10 mins, sometimes after
>>> 2 hrs, sometimes never - I got a complete reset (not CTD), sometimes
>>> only a lockout without any resetting possibilities (except for the magic
>>> button). It's definitely not a thermal problem, as I monitor
>>> temperatures constantly and no exceedances show up. (Processor
>>> temperature always below 70°C).
>>> Rumours had it that it could be an issue with the onboard sound chip.
>>> Before I dig into that I would like to know whether any of the hardware
>>> hotshots here have any information about that or any other idea what
>>> could be the cause.
>>> Thanks in advance
>>> --
>>> Oskar Wagner
>>> (retired Captain)
>>>
>>> Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes....

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 3:13:04 PM

Good day,
imho de psu is marginal. Further I use for monitoring the free program
'Speedfan' which you can find at www.almico.com/speedfan.php
Hope this helps,
regards,
bill

"Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
news:D dcf9r$aig$1@news.hispeed.ch...
> Yes Dally, I agree that this would be a way to solve the problem. The main
> obstacle on this is at present that I cannot establish a condition where a
> shutdown occurs in any case. It's just random. But I'll give of coure a
try
> to find a worst case setup. I'm presently doing a lot of testflights with
> FSPassengers so I'll have many, many occasions to dig into that ;-) (ohh,
> and before someone starts asking: yes the shutdowns occurred also before
> installing FSPassengers.....)
> --
> Oskar Wagner
> (retired Captain)
>
> Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes....
>
> "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> >
> > "Katy Pluta"
> >> Complete reset or lockup usually spell "hardware problem".
> >
> > Underline what Katy said because it's a 99% truism.
> >
> > I was having the exact same problem the past two weeks, flying along and
> > "zap" black screen and a reboot. I fixed it by upping the voltage on my
> > processor, but my processor is overclocked and that would be expected.
> > (Down the road you could try to up the voltage a bit, but not this early
> > on
> > in this process.)
> >
> > Again, that symptomatic behavior is classic of hardware, especially CPU
> > and
> > GPU problems, especially since it only happens during graphic intensive
> > applications.
> >
> > What are your processor temperatures? For a CPU, anything near 70°C
might
> > be too warm even though it's within the manufacturers specs . My CPU
runs
> > at 45°C.
> >
> > General system diagnostic methods would tell you to disconnect
everything
> > you don't need to run the sim. i.e. Disable the on-board sound,
> > gameports,
> > disconnect CD ROMs... everything. Run the computer on basic life
support
> > and see if it trips up again. If it does you can focus on the core
> > components. If not, add components back in until you recreate the
> > problem.
> >
> > Dallas

August 10, 2005 3:17:05 PM

IF after each reset, you can still continue to do whatever you are doing
before, THEN, it is not likely a temperature issue.

My logic is: if it is the high temp of a certain component (cpu, ram,
graphic card, psu whatever) that causes the resetting, I am sure the
time spent to reset the system is not long enough for that particular
over-heated component to cool itself down. And you would have
experienced problem right after resetting. But since it seems that you
are able to continue right after resetting, I think it is not temp related.

Oskar Wagner wrote:
> I recently made myself a nice present by purchasing a new - and hopefully
> more competitive - system. The specs are as follows:
>
> Processor: Pentium IV, 3.6 GHz, socket 478
> Motherboard: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-7046, 1 GB RAM
> Chipset: Intel Grantsdale i915
> BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
> Version: 6.00 PG
> Graphics: Sapphire Radeon X600 pro, 256 mB RAM, newest
> Catalyst Drivers
>
> Performancewise I have absolutely no complaints as I run now FS 9 with all
> sliders maxed and RealAir Spitfire at constantly 25frames/sec (limitied to
> 25).
> However one severe problem has shown up at various times in FS9 and CFS3. At
> irregular intervals - sometimes after 10 mins, sometimes after 2 hrs,
> sometimes never - I got a complete reset (not CTD), sometimes only a lockout
> without any resetting possibilities (except for the magic button). It's
> definitely not a thermal problem, as I monitor temperatures constantly and
> no exceedances show up. (Processor temperature always below 70èš“).
> Rumours had it that it could be an issue with the onboard sound chip. Before
> I dig into that I would like to know whether any of the hardware hotshots
> here have any information about that or any other idea what could be the
> cause.
> Thanks in advance
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 3:45:18 PM

Ups, you're right!! Just had a peek "behind the curtain" and it's actually
480 Watts......
--

schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:D dchfr$qcq$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Oskar
>
> 280 watts sounds very light. I'm sure your cpu and graphics alone will be
> using a lot.
> I have an Athlon64 3000+, 512Mb PC3200 Ram, Radeon 9800 Pro (128 Mb)
> graphics card (which alone recommends 350 watts)
> 80G H-D, 60G H-D, DVDRom, DVD/RW, Video Capture Card. I'm using a 500
> watt
> psu with no resets. They can be picked up reasonably cheap in UK. £30-50.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Ibby

August 10, 2005 3:45:19 PM

Bang goes my theory then!!

Ibby

"Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
news:D dci7o$c8k$1@news.hispeed.ch...
> Ups, you're right!! Just had a peek "behind the curtain" and it's actually
> 480 Watts......
> --
> Oskar Wagner
> (retired Captain)
>
> Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes....
>
> "Ibby (The Artist Formally Known as Chris)" <chris@mwapartnership.co.uk>
> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:D dchfr$qcq$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>> Oskar
>>
>> 280 watts sounds very light. I'm sure your cpu and graphics alone will
>> be
>> using a lot.
>> I have an Athlon64 3000+, 512Mb PC3200 Ram, Radeon 9800 Pro (128 Mb)
>> graphics card (which alone recommends 350 watts)
>> 80G H-D, 60G H-D, DVDRom, DVD/RW, Video Capture Card. I'm using a 500
>> watt
>> psu with no resets. They can be picked up reasonably cheap in UK.
>> £30-50.
>>
>> Hope this helps
>>
>> Ibby
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 4:32:49 PM

Thank you Iain! Another very valuable input that is worth considering. My
first goal however at present is to establish a setup with conditions that
REALLY lead to a crash. The worst thing is that it happens only randomly and
that is - not only with computers - a very difficult thing to trace. You're
right, a CTD wouldn't worry me too much as it usually can be cured by
reinstalling the software. But I still also go for a hardware conflict. I
recently read a thread about the onboard sound chip causing similar
problems. Unfortunately I haven't found it anymore at present but I will
keep searching.... So this is still also a option worth considering. I did
several flights with the sound chip disabled and so far no crashes occured
but - and again the puzzling thing - after enabling again (yesterday) so far
no more crashes have occurred either :-)
--

news:D dcjtg$2sf$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...

> "Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
> news:D db4kb$ran$1@news.hispeed.ch...
>> However one severe problem has shown up at various times in FS9 and CFS3.
>> At irregular intervals - sometimes after 10 mins, sometimes after 2 hrs,
>> sometimes never - I got a complete reset (not CTD), sometimes only a
>> lockout without any resetting possibilities (except for the magic
>> button). It's definitely not a thermal problem, as I monitor temperatures
>> constantly and no exceedances show up. (Processor temperature always
>> below 70°C).
>
> Oskar, I'm assuming from what has been said so far that this only occurs
> in FS9 and CFS3. This has me puzzled. First of all did you have any
> problems installing either programme or did the installs go smoothly. In
> my experience with faulty memory, this often shows itself during install
> when the installer is writing to memory and comes to a faulty sector. Then
> a lock-up or reset is likely. However, Windows XP is a fairly sturdy
> operating system, especially when compared to Win 98SE and while I can
> understand a programme doing a CTD, taking out XP is fairly major. It does
> point to hardware as I would expect a software conflict to maybe take out
> the programme but not the OS. From what you say, it doesn't seem to be
> temperature so I must admit that memory is the prime suspect. I'm rambling
> really, trying to think of a solution, but if you have more than one stick
> of memory installed you could take out one at a time and run without each
> one to see if that cures it. A hard drive problem could also take out the
> OS but as yours is new this is not likely. Presumably a complete fresh
> install of Windows was done? This is important with XP when there is a
> major hardware change. If you tried to copy your old installation on to
> your new hard drive this could certainly cause problems such as you're
> experiencing. Reading this it's probably not much help but I throw it in
> for what it's worth! :0))
>
> Iain

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 6:19:53 PM

>Sorry, I just forgot to add one more question. Would you know about a
>monitoring software better than the one I use at present? I can read CPU
>temperature with AIDA32 but I know that there is better monitoring software
>aroud. I tried to use MBM5 but unfortunately my motherboard is not (yet)
>recognized as it seems to be quite new.

Apart from the ones you use or cited there would be a utility from the
motherboard manufacturer maybe? Asus has one, I don't know about
others...

===
Best Regards
Katy
August 10, 2005 10:43:29 PM

"Oskar Wagner"
> The worst thing is that it happens only randomly and
> that is a very difficult thing to trace.

When I was having similar troubles I set up a consistent test:

I took my highest resource hog - Flight1 Meridian (because of the RealityXP
GPS) (anything that stressed the processors would work) - and saved a flight
in progress with the autopilot on. Then every night before bed I would
start it. If the computer rebooted during the night I knew I had not fixed
the problem.

Dallas
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 11:27:20 PM

"Iain Smith" <iainsmith.rugby@btinternet.com> wrote in
news:D dcjtg$2sf$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com:

> "Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
> news:D db4kb$ran$1@news.hispeed.ch...
>> However one severe problem has shown up at various times in FS9 and
>> CFS3. At irregular intervals - sometimes after 10 mins, sometimes
>> after 2 hrs, sometimes never - I got a complete reset (not CTD),
>> sometimes only a lockout without any resetting possibilities (except
>> for the magic button). It's definitely not a thermal problem, as I
>> monitor temperatures constantly and no exceedances show up.
>> (Processor temperature always below 70°C).
>
> Oskar, I'm assuming from what has been said so far that this only
> occurs in FS9 and CFS3. This has me puzzled. First of all did you have
> any problems installing either programme or did the installs go
> smoothly. In my experience with faulty memory, this often shows itself
> during install when the installer is writing to memory and comes to a
> faulty sector. Then a lock-up or reset is likely. However, Windows XP
> is a fairly sturdy operating system, especially when compared to Win
> 98SE and while I can understand a programme doing a CTD, taking out XP
> is fairly major. It does point to hardware as I would expect a
> software conflict to maybe take out the programme but not the OS. From
> what you say, it doesn't seem to be temperature so I must admit that
> memory is the prime suspect. I'm rambling really, trying to think of a
> solution, but if you have more than one stick of memory installed you
> could take out one at a time and run without each one to see if that
> cures it. A hard drive problem could also take out the OS but as yours
> is new this is not likely. Presumably a complete fresh install of
> Windows was done? This is important with XP when there is a major
> hardware change. If you tried to copy your old installation on to your
> new hard drive this could certainly cause problems such as you're
> experiencing. Reading this it's probably not much help but I throw it
> in for what it's worth! :0))
>
> Iain

Inquire into upping the Power Supply Wattage. When I bought my Vid Card
last year, to my surprise, it had its own socket for the DC lines.
Without it, a warning message came up stating that the performance would
be compromised, and it did. Considering all of your new power hungry
goodies, a 300 or 350 Watt supply might just not cut it. What is the
wattage output anyway?

--
e v e n S k y

Athlon XP2800
1 G Ram
GeForce FX5900XT
160G H-D
80G H-D
XP, FS9
Wingman Strike force 3D
CH yoke n' pedals
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 1:02:54 AM

Mhh, great idea Dally!! The RealAir Spitfire might match these criteria in
conjunction with SwitzerlandPro Scenery. That's the worst thing that can
happen to a CPU/Graphics Card ;-)
Too bad the Spitfire has no A/P..... But I'll fly some circles around
Switzerland. Time is not a factor for me. Remember I'm retired.... ;-)
--

> "Oskar Wagner"
>> The worst thing is that it happens only randomly and
>> that is a very difficult thing to trace.
>
> When I was having similar troubles I set up a consistent test:
>
> I took my highest resource hog - Flight1 Meridian (because of the
> RealityXP
> GPS) (anything that stressed the processors would work) - and saved a
> flight
> in progress with the autopilot on. Then every night before bed I would
> start it. If the computer rebooted during the night I knew I had not
> fixed
> the problem.
>

> Dallas

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 2:28:14 AM

>Processor: Pentium IV, 3.6 GHz, socket 478
>Motherboard: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-7046, 1 GB RAM
>Chipset: Intel Grantsdale i915
>BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
>Version: 6.00 PG
>Graphics: Sapphire Radeon X600 pro, 256 mB RAM, newest
>Catalyst Drivers

I just noticed the make of the motherboard: is that the MSI 915P? Try
to find the revision number on the board, if I remember well a first
batch had problems with the southbridge, also update the BIOS to the
latest if needed and try to boost the RAM voltage in the BIOS from
1.8v to 1.9v to see if it helps stability under load

===
Best Regards
Katy
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 6:46:15 AM

It's 480 Watts and "staying cool" all the time.
--

"evenSky" <evensky1@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> "Iain Smith" <iainsmith.rugby@btinternet.com> wrote in
> news:D dcjtg$2sf$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com:
>

>> "Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
>> news:D db4kb$ran$1@news.hispeed.ch...
>>> However one severe problem has shown up at various times in FS9 and
>>> CFS3. At irregular intervals - sometimes after 10 mins, sometimes
>>> after 2 hrs, sometimes never - I got a complete reset (not CTD),
>>> sometimes only a lockout without any resetting possibilities (except
>>> for the magic button). It's definitely not a thermal problem, as I
>>> monitor temperatures constantly and no exceedances show up.
>>> (Processor temperature always below 70°C).
>>
>> Oskar, I'm assuming from what has been said so far that this only
>> occurs in FS9 and CFS3. This has me puzzled. First of all did you have
>> any problems installing either programme or did the installs go
>> smoothly. In my experience with faulty memory, this often shows itself
>> during install when the installer is writing to memory and comes to a
>> faulty sector. Then a lock-up or reset is likely. However, Windows XP
>> is a fairly sturdy operating system, especially when compared to Win
>> 98SE and while I can understand a programme doing a CTD, taking out XP
>> is fairly major. It does point to hardware as I would expect a
>> software conflict to maybe take out the programme but not the OS. From
>> what you say, it doesn't seem to be temperature so I must admit that
>> memory is the prime suspect. I'm rambling really, trying to think of a
>> solution, but if you have more than one stick of memory installed you
>> could take out one at a time and run without each one to see if that
>> cures it. A hard drive problem could also take out the OS but as yours
>> is new this is not likely. Presumably a complete fresh install of
>> Windows was done? This is important with XP when there is a major
>> hardware change. If you tried to copy your old installation on to your
>> new hard drive this could certainly cause problems such as you're
>> experiencing. Reading this it's probably not much help but I throw it
>> in for what it's worth! :0))
>>
>> Iain
>>

> Inquire into upping the Power Supply Wattage. When I bought my Vid Card
> last year, to my surprise, it had its own socket for the DC lines.
> Without it, a warning message came up stating that the performance would
> be compromised, and it did. Considering all of your new power hungry
> goodies, a 300 or 350 Watt supply might just not cut it. What is the
> wattage output anyway?
>
> --
> e v e n S k y
>
> Athlon XP2800
> 1 G Ram
> GeForce FX5900XT
> 160G H-D
> 80G H-D
> XP, FS9
> Wingman Strike force 3D
> CH yoke n' pedals

August 11, 2005 11:54:11 AM

Try these popular utilities to test your pc:
1) to test the cpu
Super Pi

2) to test the RAM
MemTest

3) to test your graphic card
3DMark03
3DMark05

Each of these softwares can stress your pc to the limit.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 11:54:12 AM

Thanks, I guess I will soon give it a try. I had run Microsoft's mem test
which is in extended mode quite stressy also. So far no errors detected.
--

"pcgamer" <pcgamer@1234> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:42fa93ac@127.0.0.1...
> Try these popular utilities to test your pc:
> 1) to test the cpu
> Super Pi
>
> 2) to test the RAM
> MemTest
>
> 3) to test your graphic card
> 3DMark03
> 3DMark05
>

> Each of these softwares can stress your pc to the limit.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 11:54:13 AM

In article <dde65e$frc$1@news.hispeed.ch>, rengaw@swissonline.ch says...
> Thanks, I guess I will soon give it a try. I had run Microsoft's mem test
> which is in extended mode quite stressy also. So far no errors detected.

It's not always possible to simulate memory problems with a test
program. I have 512M module which runs (literally) for 24 hrs with
Memtest86 and never fails. But if I put it in my PC, I get about a
crash per day. Take it out, problem goes away. I've also seen memory
sticks that will fail only about once per 2-3 hours in memtest86, so be
sure to run it for a long time.

Of course, sometimes one is lucky and they fail after a few seconds...
We do PC clustering at work, and I'm responsible for several hundred of
the little beasties.

/Chris T
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 11:54:14 AM

Ohh great, very encouraging ;-) I did a first test only to see if there's a
quick error showing. MS recommends to run it throughout the night in
extended mode (11 different test patterns I beileve) and that's exactly what
I will do. Let the beast working all night.....
--

"Chris Thomas" <CThomas@mminternet.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> In article <dde65e$frc$1@news.hispeed.ch>, rengaw@swissonline.ch says...
>> Thanks, I guess I will soon give it a try. I had run Microsoft's mem test
>> which is in extended mode quite stressy also. So far no errors detected.
>
> It's not always possible to simulate memory problems with a test
> program. I have 512M module which runs (literally) for 24 hrs with
> Memtest86 and never fails. But if I put it in my PC, I get about a
> crash per day. Take it out, problem goes away. I've also seen memory
> sticks that will fail only about once per 2-3 hours in memtest86, so be
> sure to run it for a long time.
>
> Of course, sometimes one is lucky and they fail after a few seconds...
> We do PC clustering at work, and I'm responsible for several hundred of
> the little beasties.
>
> /Chris T
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 11:54:15 AM

>Ohh great, very encouraging ;-) I did a first test only to see if there's a
>quick error showing. MS recommends to run it throughout the night in
>extended mode (11 different test patterns I beileve) and that's exactly what
>I will do. Let the beast working all night.....

From what Chris said a memory could be fine with tests but fail in a
specific computer because the mobo chipset is "allergic" to it or it
needs to be put in different slots (did you check that?) As you are
testing in your own machine that should take care of this kind of
incompatibility though...

Heat sinks for RAM do exist, another part that can get pretty hot in
today's mobo is the chipset, see if the I915 has a heat sink and
consider putting one if not.

===
Best Regards
Katy
August 11, 2005 2:17:33 PM

Yes, I agree.
In fact, we all know how 'modern day' pc behaves.
They all seem to have a mind of their own.
No test is 100% fool-proof or 100% reliable.
But nevertheless, these tests are,at least, a start.

Sometimes and quite often, there is nothing wrong with the stick itself,
it is just that this particular brand of RAM stick does not like that
particular brand of motherboard. This kind of hardware incompatiblity
is frustrating. Even worse than brand incompatiblity is model/version
incompatibility. :-(

Chris Thomas wrote:
> In article <dde65e$frc$1@news.hispeed.ch>, rengaw@swissonline.ch says...
>
>>Thanks, I guess I will soon give it a try. I had run Microsoft's mem test
>>which is in extended mode quite stressy also. So far no errors detected.
>

> It's not always possible to simulate memory problems with a test
> program. I have 512M module which runs (literally) for 24 hrs with
> Memtest86 and never fails. But if I put it in my PC, I get about a
> crash per day. Take it out, problem goes away. I've also seen memory
> sticks that will fail only about once per 2-3 hours in memtest86, so be
> sure to run it for a long time.
>
> Of course, sometimes one is lucky and they fail after a few seconds...
> We do PC clustering at work, and I'm responsible for several hundred of
> the little beasties.
>
> /Chris T
August 11, 2005 2:27:23 PM

I don't know what a lot of that all means, but it sounds like a pretty mean
system! What would a setup like that be worth?
Chris

--
I'm not always right,
But I'm never wrong!
"Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
news:D db4kb$ran$1@news.hispeed.ch...
>I recently made myself a nice present by purchasing a new - and hopefully
>more competitive - system. The specs are as follows:
>
> Processor: Pentium IV, 3.6 GHz, socket 478
> Motherboard: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-7046, 1 GB
> RAM
> Chipset: Intel Grantsdale i915
> BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
> Version: 6.00 PG
> Graphics: Sapphire Radeon X600 pro, 256 mB RAM, newest
> Catalyst Drivers
>
> Performancewise I have absolutely no complaints as I run now FS 9 with all
> sliders maxed and RealAir Spitfire at constantly 25frames/sec (limitied to
> 25).
> However one severe problem has shown up at various times in FS9 and CFS3.
> At irregular intervals - sometimes after 10 mins, sometimes after 2 hrs,
> sometimes never - I got a complete reset (not CTD), sometimes only a
> lockout without any resetting possibilities (except for the magic button).
> It's definitely not a thermal problem, as I monitor temperatures
> constantly and no exceedances show up. (Processor temperature always below
> 70°C).
> Rumours had it that it could be an issue with the onboard sound chip.
> Before I dig into that I would like to know whether any of the hardware
> hotshots here have any information about that or any other idea what could
> be the cause.
> Thanks in advance
> --
> Oskar Wagner
> (retired Captain)
>
> Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes....

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 2:27:24 PM

Well, I bought it for SwissFrancs 1635.-- which is around 1260 US$ (box with
mouse and keyboard, no screen of course). I'm running it with a 19" "World
of Vision" flat screen at 1280 x 1024 Pixels and it delivers a steady 25 FPS
with all sliders maxed (25 FPS set as maximum). I don't know how it compares
pricewise with other countries but for ours it's quite a valuable price for
what I would consider a "upper end" machine.
--

"Chris" <me@there.com.au> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>I don't know what a lot of that all means, but it sounds like a pretty mean
>system! What would a setup like that be worth?
> Chris
>
> --
> I'm not always right,
> But I'm never wrong!
> "Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
> news:D db4kb$ran$1@news.hispeed.ch...
>>I recently made myself a nice present by purchasing a new - and hopefully
>>more competitive - system. The specs are as follows:
>>
>> Processor: Pentium IV, 3.6 GHz, socket 478
>> Motherboard: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-7046, 1 GB
>> RAM
>> Chipset: Intel Grantsdale i915
>> BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
>> Version: 6.00 PG
>> Graphics: Sapphire Radeon X600 pro, 256 mB RAM, newest
>> Catalyst Drivers
>>
>> Performancewise I have absolutely no complaints as I run now FS 9 with
>> all sliders maxed and RealAir Spitfire at constantly 25frames/sec
>> (limitied to 25).
>> However one severe problem has shown up at various times in FS9 and CFS3.
>> At irregular intervals - sometimes after 10 mins, sometimes after 2 hrs,
>> sometimes never - I got a complete reset (not CTD), sometimes only a
>> lockout without any resetting possibilities (except for the magic
>> button). It's definitely not a thermal problem, as I monitor temperatures
>> constantly and no exceedances show up. (Processor temperature always
>> below 70°C).
>> Rumours had it that it could be an issue with the onboard sound chip.
>> Before I dig into that I would like to know whether any of the hardware
>> hotshots here have any information about that or any other idea what
>> could be the cause.
>> Thanks in advance
>> --
>> Oskar Wagner
>> (retired Captain)
>>
>> Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes....

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 5:29:27 PM

Hi gang!
Thank you all for your interesting and helpful contributions to my problem.
As I see it I will be busy for the next few weeks or so to try all the
suggestions made ;-) I still hope that it is not a components compatibility
issue as the system is not a no-name machine but a well known brand here
(Medion). So I still hope that they would at least have taken care of that
(but you never know....). As a first step I will do some more accurate
temperature measurements and then (still) go for the on-board sound chip as
I got now two answers from a swiss forum. Those guys have the exactly same
system and no more troubles after installing a sound card. So let's see.
I'll keep you informed about the forthcoming. Thank you all again. Your help
is very much appreciated and is the proof for me that this forum is alive
and - besides the usual goofing ;-) - an invaluable place to meet great
people!!
--
Oskar Wagner
(retired Captain)

Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes....
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 12:42:37 PM

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 22:46:55 +0200, "Oskar Wagner"
<rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote:

>However one severe problem has shown up at various times in FS9 and CFS3. At
>irregular intervals - sometimes after 10 mins, sometimes after 2 hrs,
>sometimes never - I got a complete reset (not CTD), sometimes only a lockout
>without any resetting possibilities (except for the magic button). It's
>definitely not a thermal problem, as I monitor temperatures constantly and
>no exceedances show up. (Processor temperature always below 70°C).
>Rumours had it that it could be an issue with the onboard sound chip. Before
>I dig into that I would like to know whether any of the hardware hotshots
>here have any information about that or any other idea what could be the
>cause.

Oskar,

One other thing to check while you've got the case off..

Make sure all the parts (video card, RAM, etc.) are properly seated,
and do the same thing with the cables (I'd go so far as to pull stuff,
and look in the sockets to make sure there isn't a bit of "fluff" in
there that's causing an intermittent problems.)

A number of years ago, I had a system where the data cable to the
HDD had worked itself partially off, and would cause seemingly random
errors.

take care,
Scott
Who is General Failure, and why is he reading Drive C?
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 5:41:23 PM

Thanks Scott! You're right. Never rely on the manufacturer... ;-)
--

"Scott Stevenson" <almostfm.AMSPAY@UCKSAY.comcast.net> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:42feb08c.14471187@news.giganews.com...

!