2 Printers, 1 PC

I just got a new USB printer. Can I hook it up to my PC while my old
Parallel printer is hooked up? Will the PC recognize both? IS THIS A
DUMB QUESTION?!?!

Thanks-
Rob in NJ
6 answers Last reply
More about printers

    Thanks!

    Rob in NJ wrote:
    > I just got a new USB printer. Can I hook it up to my PC while my old
    > Parallel printer is hooked up? Will the PC recognize both? IS THIS A
    > DUMB QUESTION?!?!
    >
    > Thanks-
    > Rob in NJ

    I have two printers connected via USB. Can't see why you couldn't have one USB
    and one parellel printer connected. The drivers are separate after all.

    My Digital World:
    Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
    Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
    Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
    Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

    Disclaimer:
    given nor endorsed by it.

    This will work just fine. I use the same setup. HP5p laser parallel and
    canon i960 usb2.

    "Rob in NJ" <XRobEvansX@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I just got a new USB printer. Can I hook it up to my PC while my old
    > Parallel printer is hooked up? Will the PC recognize both? IS THIS A
    > DUMB QUESTION?!?!
    >
    > Thanks-
    > Rob in NJ

    You can hook up 2 printers to one PC. It does not make any difference
    if they are hooked up USB or Parallel. Each printer is given a device
    name. When you tell an application to print a dialog box is presented
    asking you to choose a printer. You may set one printer as the default.

    Rob in NJ wrote:

    >I just got a new USB printer. Can I hook it up to my PC while my old
    >Parallel printer is hooked up? Will the PC recognize both? IS THIS A
    >DUMB QUESTION?!?!
    >
    >Thanks-
    >Rob in NJ

    "Rob in NJ" <XRobEvansX@gmail.com> You're digging it round, when it
    aughta Be SQUARE

    >I just got a new USB printer. Can I hook it up to my PC while my old
    >Parallel printer is hooked up? Will the PC recognize both? IS THIS A
    >DUMB QUESTION?!?!

    YES, NO... You're welcome :-)

    ----

    As we know, there are known knowns; there are things we
    know we know. We also know there are known unknowns;
    that is to say we know there are some things we do not
    know. But there are also unknown unknowns
    --the ones we don't know we don't know." D. Rumsfeld

    Ben Thomas (nosp@m.thanks.mate) writes:
    > Rob in NJ wrote:
    >> I just got a new USB printer. Can I hook it up to my PC while my old
    >> Parallel printer is hooked up? Will the PC recognize both? IS THIS A
    >> DUMB QUESTION?!?!
    >>
    >> Thanks-
    >> Rob in NJ
    >>

    > I have two printers connected via USB. Can't see why you couldn't have one USB
    > and one parellel printer connected. The drivers are separate after all.

    I have three printers hooked up, two USB and one parallel. It's overkill,
    since two are lasers, but I don't have space for the parallel laser where
    my backup computer currently sits, so I figured I might as well use up
    the toner cart rather than just taking it out of service.

    Brendan

Printers USB Peripherals