Xfx 7800GTX sudden rise in temperature from 42C to 46C!?

rHy0

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Yeah so my non OC'd graphics card has just suddenly jumped from a nice and cool 41/42C idle straight up to a constant 46C (rarely 45)! All happened in the last 3 days!? My other system temps have increased too, but no where near as much as my graphics card. I have a very good case Thermaltake Armor and the fan speeds havent really dropped at all since i built my PC a couple a months ago so what do you think could be the problem?? Ive been told that a rise in room temp. can cause this but surely not affect the graphics card as much as this!? Do you think my card is slowly dieing?? Just wanna get this off my mind as soon as possible. thanks for any help.

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
yeah, it can be room temperature. This spring is getting hot :)
Have you changed drivers or bios?
Maybe a little dust in that million filters that your case have?

Don´t get crazy about that. Probably that's nothing.

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
yeah, it can be room temperature. This spring is getting hot Smile
Have you changed drivers or bios?
Maybe a little dust in that million filters that your case have?

totally agree

Ive been told that a rise in room temp. can cause this
it will surely cause this. any cooling system based on air (a water cooler is air dependant) will reduce your component's temperature based on room temperature. If your room temperature is 20C and your GPU runs at 42C, it means your cooler can cool down your gpu to 22C above room temperature, it does not mean that it will always cool down to 42C regardless of room temperature. Unless you're on a controlled temperature environment, that behavior is normal. As PMR said, spring is coming and temperatures are rising.
But if you have air filters on your case, it's worth take a look if they're not too dirty and maek regular clean ups

rHy0

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Yeah i have changed/re-installed the graphics driver recently. Ive also tried tackling the front case filters with a can of compressed air but no drop in temps. Room temperature has been getting a lot warmer so its good to know thats the cause. Also at night the GPU temp drops like 3C so it does kinda make sense. Thanks for your reassurance. Let me know if you have anything else to add.

Jak_Sparra

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
is it even a problem?

whats a 'safe' temperature for an idle 7800gtx???

I'd be more worried if the under load temperature was a few degrees higher, but i think the graphics card fan speeds up alot when it gets near 60-67degrees, as it never seems to go higher, even when i overclock mine.

PX7800GT

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
45 Degree Makes You Worry ??
Hey ... That`s Nothing ... My PX7800 GT Idles @ 50 Degree @ Will Raech 70 Degree If I Play NFS Most Wanted For An Hour .... Don`t Worry .... 45~46 Degree Is Nothing !!
Be Cool Man 8)