DXTbmp? Was it to blame?

I've just had a traumatic few days with my PC and had to have the hardware
tested by my supplier and Windows re-installed. This was caused by some
software I installed which changed some Windows system files and caused
Windows not to be able to load.

The thing is, I don't know which of the three or four programmes I installed
caused the problem. A couple were nothing to do with FS but one which I
installed at about the time the problem started (I can't be precise about
this which is part of the problem) was DXTbmp with it's set of DLL files. I
found this a useful facility for reducing texture loads of many a/craft but
am nervous about re-installing it in case I have to go through that again.

Has any other user of DXTbmp experienced any problem such as this with it.
If not then I'll be re-assured and will give it another go. I'm just looking
for a confidence boost really! ;0))

Iain

>I've just had a traumatic few days with my PC and had to have the hardware
>tested by my supplier and Windows re-installed. This was caused by some
>software I installed which changed some Windows system files and caused
>Windows not to be able to load.
>
>The thing is, I don't know which of the three or four programmes I installed
>caused the problem. A couple were nothing to do with FS but one which I
>installed at about the time the problem started (I can't be precise about
>this which is part of the problem) was DXTbmp with it's set of DLL files. I
>found this a useful facility for reducing texture loads of many a/craft but
>am nervous about re-installing it in case I have to go through that again.
>
>Has any other user of DXTbmp experienced any problem such as this with it.
>If not then I'll be re-assured and will give it another go. I'm just looking
>for a confidence boost really! ;0))

I don't think so, never saw that happened with DXTBmp... You do know
that you can repair Windows yourself by booting on the CD, choosing to
install then repair? You just need to re-apply any MS updates
afterwards...

===
Best Regards
Katy

I never had problems with DXTbmp and I have installed it a few times on
different systems. I don't even think that DXTbmp would create a problem as
it simply copies it's DLL's but as far as I know it doesn't even register.
To my understanding it's a simple standalone program.
--
Oskar Wagner
(retired Captain)

Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes....
"Iain Smith" <iainsmith.rugby@btinternet.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I've just had a traumatic few days with my PC and had to have the hardware
> tested by my supplier and Windows re-installed. This was caused by some
> software I installed which changed some Windows system files and caused
> Windows not to be able to load.
>
> The thing is, I don't know which of the three or four programmes I
> installed caused the problem. A couple were nothing to do with FS but one
> which I installed at about the time the problem started (I can't be
> precise about this which is part of the problem) was DXTbmp with it's set
> of DLL files. I found this a useful facility for reducing texture loads of
> many a/craft but am nervous about re-installing it in case I have to go
> through that again.
>
> Has any other user of DXTbmp experienced any problem such as this with it.
> If not then I'll be re-assured and will give it another go. I'm just
> looking for a confidence boost really! ;0))
>
> Iain

Thanks Peter, Oskar and Katy for your replies. I'll re-install with
confidence! :0))

Iain