Project HeavyBlue: OC Guidelines (Whats Your 2 Cents?)

WolfDragon

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Ok, so within the next couple of weeks I will have my new rig, HeavyBlue online, and seeing as I have spend several months in developing the thermoelectric cooling control and failsafe system (Projcet BlackBox). I obviously want to OC the living tar out of this rig.

Here is the setup

Mobo: GA K8NSC939
Mem: Corsair 2 pcs TWINX2048-4000PT thus 4Gb DDR500 on 4 sticks
CPU: AMD X2 4800+
Vid: ATI x800 Pro

I already know the limit of the video card as it is the only thing migrating over from my last rig.

The memory I haven't purchased yet, that will be on May 17th.

I got the CPU and Mobo in a combo from Monarch.

So heres the questions:
1. OC ability of this Mobo? (I paid 68.00 for it in the package... not worried if it sucks and i have to buy a new one)
2. Any known limit on the CPU? Settings?
3. Considering its DDR500 ram, and the fact i can get all 4 gigs for about 375 bucks, I really want to use it if its any good, so is it?

I figured I would ask for what we all think/know the good guidelines are, I'm not one for running into the field fo battle withotu significant intel.

WolfDragon

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
I couldn't ever get a straight answer one what a very OC freindly 939 AGP mobo was, if i wanted to buy a new video card id go pcie with sli and get that DFI Lanparty board

my thgouths on getting this gigabyte board was,
1. i get a nice deal on the cpu, bout 150 off the reg price
2. if i cant use it, im only out 68 bucks and i know a few people who could use it, so i will probably get about 50 from them.
3. its a very basic board, no whistles or bells to speak of, therefore less thigns to mess up when i start cranking the dial up...

there was some thought in that, but the majority went into cpu and memory, i knew i would be limited by wanting to use my vid card that is less than 1 year old

Fox_granit

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
FITCamaro Posted:

You spent several months developing a cooling system to allow you to overclock and you didn't even buy a quality motherboard?

I don't see you posting your motherboard on your signature.....

WolfDragon:

Although Corsair is great for overclocking, 4 gigs of ram is not needed right now, you'd be better off taking 2gigs and putting that left over money on a new videocard and then upgrading to more ram later....$68 isn't too bad for a MB although Gigabyte isn't known for overclocking as well as DFI or ASUS, but they are stable...........I have both a GIGABYTE MB and an ASUS. I prefer my ASUS becuase of its greater abilities to overclock.

Good to see someone coming up with something new and intresting on cooling.......

shabodah

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
Yeah, I think your cooling is not going to be the limiting factor at all. CPU and motherboard are. Sorry, but this will do a good job, but the requirements for a GREAT OC have not been met. Could've gone with a different chipset and different cpu and have better results. Both the ati 3200 and ULI boards that are currently out OC very well, and any DFI nforce 4 board would destroy your in OC'ing. The opty CPU's are OC'ing better than the x2's by significant margins. I've seen a 175 at 3.2ghz running at 35 degrees celsius.

Fox_granit

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
Don't mean to hijack the post, but currently i have my 165 upto 2.3 sitting at 41C with the stock cooler. doing alright i suppose.......

WolfDragon

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
dont worry about the video card, ive got it at 45% over its stock speed

and i am also using the OC for non gaming uses, my buddies and I need the crunching power for a lot of different tasks, not just BOINC