Best Gaming Video Card for a MSI Metis 266?

zzgo

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
I am hoping that you all can give me some good feedback as to what is the best video card for a MSI Metis 266. I use the system for everything and would like to get a better gaming card.
Here are the stats for the machine:
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2400+
Motherboard: MS-6390 V2.0A Mainboard w/VIA® KM266 + 8235L Chipset
RAM: 256 MB (2 x 128 chips) DDR266/pc2100
Video: GF4MX440T8X (MS-8890) 64MB
HD: Western Digital 80 Gig 7200rpm

I'm probably goning to add a 1 Gig RAM chip, but what is the best video card for gaming?
Bear in mind that it has to be a low profile card to fit in the case
Any suggestions would be greatly apprecaited!

I think that the fastest video card for your system would be the Radeon X850Pro for $221 shipped.

I don't think it would be worth it to by anything faster than that becuase I think your CPU would be a real bottleneck. I think the X850Pro will be slowed down by your old CPU.

If $221 is too much to swallow then get the cheaper X800GTO which is $139 after a $20 rebate.

If you are a die-hard nVidia fanatic then the only 256MB card in the price range is the GeForce 6600 for $133.50, which will be creamed buy either one of the ATI cards.

cleeve

Illustrious
Nvidia's AGP offering would be the 6800 GS, comperable to the X800 GTO for less than $200. The real power of the 6800 GS is the possibility that pipelines might be enabled, making the card a full 16-pipe 6800 GT. But it's not guaranteed.

If you're not a gambler though, the X800 GTO is probably a better bet.

And an AthlonXP 2500+ won't bottleneck you all that much... an X850 XT would even work well on your platform, but it's probably too expensive. But if you can find a cheap one it's a good card.

pauldh

Illustrious
Do they make the 6800GS, X800GTO, or X850XT in a low profile card?
No, they dont. These guy's just didnt pay attention to your post.
I second GW; unfortunately they missed the low profile bit. And even Less fortuante, is you as there simply are not any good low profile gaming cards. Most will have crippled 64-bit memory interfaces, finding a 128-bit version may be your best bet. Probably a 128-bit 9600 or 9550 would be as good as it gets....which isn't very good anymore.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814153028

linux_0

Splendid
Unfortunately your choices are limited:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048+1069609639&Subcategory=48&description=&srchInDesc=low+profile&minPrice=&maxPrice=

You may be better off looking into modding your case or getting a new one that can accommodate a full height card or selecting a card that can be modified to fit.

Good Luck :-D

PS Maybe you could use an angled AGP riser card. Like this one maybe http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3090391885&category=1484#ebayphotohosting

Use at your own risk.

linux_0

Splendid
PS Maybe you could use an angled AGP riser card. Like this one
Crikey.....talk about agp latency problems :lol:

PS Maybe you could use an angled AGP riser card. Like this one maybe http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3090391885&...egory=1

Use at your own risk.

Yes it would have higher latency and the bus might have to slow down but would in theory allow the OP to use a full size card with a little bit of dremel work.

And I kinda said: Use at your own risk.

pauldh

Illustrious
I'm with ya on replacing the case or breaking out the dremel and modding it to fit a full card. Might look rediculous, but fugly (Fast & Ugly) is better than sslow(sleek & slow).

zzgo

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions.
I feared the only option would be to upgrade the case. Now it's off to the slippery slope. Since I'm upgrading the case, I should upgrade the mobo, too. ..If I'm getting a new mobo, I should get a nice new AMD 64 CPU...Since I'm getting a new CPU... :D

I guess the next question would be convincing the wife to let me put together a new PC for video games. :lol:
Talk about out of the frying pan...

Thanks again!

linux_0

Splendid
I'm with ya on replacing the case or breaking out the dremel and modding it to fit a full card. Might look rediculous, but fugly (Fast & Ugly) is better than sslow(sleek & slow).

Couldn't have said it better myself :-D :-D

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions.
I feared the only option would be to upgrade the case. Now it's off to the slippery slope. Since I'm upgrading the case, I should upgrade the mobo, too. ..If I'm getting a new mobo, I should get a nice new AMD 64 CPU...Since I'm getting a new CPU... Very Happy

I guess the next question would be convincing the wife to let me put together a new PC for video games. Laughing
Talk about out of the frying pan...

Thanks again!

You could get a 939 board for about $37 open box, CPU for about $120, RAM for about $40 and you're almost there :-D

Maybe another $40-$60 for a decent PSU.

:-D