$499 Microsoft Surface Tablet Option Already Sold Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they sell five-million, that is two billion five hundred million dollars.

Hopefully the surface does what is promised, it looks to be a very promising product; I'd love one myself too.

ltdementhial

Aug 20, 2011
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]$499 to be a Beta Tester :)Sorry, I don't think so; not for M$ and not for Apple either.[/citation]

Well, thats the main difference, Apple release hardware with beta software, this time microsoft is doing that, but you're not payin to be a beta tester, in fact AFAIK microsoft gives away hardware to be a beta tester.

Yes having Windows on ARM is a bit beta but at least is not like apple at all. i think windows 8 is going to be a bit of a researching product more than a beta one....they already have the Desktop users against Metro look and there is a high expentancy on their new tablets so they will release Windows 9 fast (2-2.5 years) but with windows we will see a more proper OS for both desktops, cellphones and pc's, even other smartgadgets like is happening with android and more importantly with great updates and service packs, and not the new os = new product that Apple and Google had made up.

Don't get me wrong i love android but i hate to relay in Sony or samgun or motorola to release the new os to my cellphone way too much time after it is released and many of the times have to take the "custom room" highway i like more to have it like old time when Os updates where "universal" in a sort of.

cbfelterbush

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
I like how the RT is sold out and is the shit version. Still nice, but not nearly as usefull as the Pro version that is coming out. I'd like to see them starting at $699 but alas I fear it will be a bit more than that.

Probably only had a few thousand so they could say...Nope All sold out. It helps to make things seem like there is a lot of demand for the product and if everyone is in such a big hurry to get theirs, you should be to. Marketing.

-CB

jcurry23

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
I am just going to sit back and see what happens with all the windows 8 stuff coming out. I will continue to use win 7 and my android tablet and phone.

[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]So what does "sold out" mean? How many pre-orders were available? A hundred? A billion? Seems a lack of context here.[/citation]
all 20 that were featured in the commercial were sold

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
[citation][nom]ltdementhial[/nom]Well, thats the main difference, Apple release hardware with beta software, this time microsoft is doing that, but you're not payin to be a beta tester, in fact AFAIK microsoft gives away hardware to be a beta tester.Yes having Windows on ARM is a bit beta but at least is not like apple at all. i think windows 8 is going to be a bit of a researching product more than a beta one....they already have the Desktop users against Metro look and there is a high expentancy on their new tablets so they will release Windows 9 fast (2-2.5 years) but with windows we will see a more proper OS for both desktops, cellphones and pc's, even other smartgadgets like is happening with android and more importantly with great updates and service packs, and not the new os = new product that Apple and Google had made up.Don't get me wrong i love android but i hate to relay in Sony or samgun or motorola to release the new os to my cellphone way too much time after it is released and many of the times have to take the "custom room" highway i like more to have it like old time when Os updates where "universal" in a sort of.[/citation]

Wow? How old are you? Microsoft has never released a Windows OS that does not need heavy patching immediately after hitting the stores!!!

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
The price of the cover is rediculous. It looks like a rip off of Apples cover and they are charging 3x as much? The keyboard is a nice idea but again, I don't understand why they would charge $139.00 for a plastic cover when their cost is probably $10. Its details like this that make the whole thing almost laughable. The base price is OK, but I don't see how that is enough to get people running to grab one (like the Nexus 7 did).

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]Zingam_Duo[/nom]Wow? How old are you? Microsoft has never released a Windows OS that does not need heavy patching immediately after hitting the stores!!![/citation]

Wow? How old are you? Microsoft Patches every OS every month on the second Tuesday. RTM was sent out nearly three months ago, so it will have three months of patching day 1. This is not hidden / uncommon knowledge...

I seriously doubt Microsoft is playing the "there is only one" rice crispy treat style marketing. They probably underestimated demand for the tegra3 version of the tablet. As long as Citrix and outlook work's we will (finally) be replacing the nightmare this is ipad + exchange....

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Wow? How old are you? Microsoft Patches every OS every month on the second Tuesday. RTM was sent out nearly three months ago, so it will have three months of patching day 1. This is not hidden / uncommon knowledge...I seriously doubt Microsoft is playing the "there is only one" rice crispy treat style marketing. They probably underestimated demand for the tegra3 version of the tablet. As long as Citrix and outlook work's we will (finally) be replacing the nightmare this is ipad + exchange....[/citation]

Here here. In addition, native RDP from SoC. I could see the surface tablet actually being able to be modestly productive since they are also throwing in office. At the very least when you are sitting in bed at home.

brettms71

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Well initially i was going for a pro version, but then realised i actually have a gaming laptop for all those needs, and all i would really do on the tablet was email, web browsing and casual gaming. So given that, i'm thinking, as much as i hate to hear myself say it, that i will get an RT version. Still makes me feel funny saying that, but i will probably get over it.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
This "news" is not officially news. The only source is Microsoft's own store, that lists the 32 GB version with the Touch Cover as being available since launch day (it is the same device, so they are not out of stock). Microsoft did not make any statement.

This is a rumour, and it wouldn't surprise me if it was just a normal business decision as Microsoft did indeed promise that the Surface would be available with the Touch Cover (as standard, one would believe, according to the ad, as that is one of the main features that sets it apart from the competition), which was very well pointed out by the Ars Technica article here: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/10/surface-pricing-499-for-32-gb-preordering-starts-today-at-9am-pt/. Postponing the availability of the cheaper device to a later date in order to conform to the initial publicity may just be damage control. Turning this into a "sold out" news is just plain unconfirmed.

They may have sold a few and then decided to place that message in order to do what I said above. That message on their site is no indication that the first shipment is sold out, let alone tells us how many they sold.

frombehind

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
[citation][nom]hydac7[/nom]Can i buy a non RT tablet and put windows 7 on it ? I don't like that touchy 8 shiet[/citation]
I dont think it works that way...

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]So what does "sold out" mean? How many pre-orders were available? A hundred? A billion? Seems a lack of context here.[/citation]
Microsoft would never give that data away, very sensitive to their business goals. With that information, Apple, Amazon and Google could learn a great deal about Surface that MS doesn't want them to know.

I'd guess that there have probably been upper hundred thousands of pre-orders. They say 3-5M sales by the end of the year, which includes the holiday season. Lump the first months sales and pre-orders together for simplicity, say half the sales are for Christmas and you get an upper limit of around 1M sales in the first month. A good chunk of those will be pre-orders, but not all, so upper hundred thousands.

Good start, but not exactly bursting out of the gate either.

G

If this is the Pro model, I can understand it sells like hotcake as it is compatible with existing LARGE library of Windows applications and hence it is actually a proven platform. Surface RT is completely as unproven as Blackberry Playbook or HP WebOS tablet. As for Office being included, this is merely a "preview" release which will lack features that is normally included in the x86 version. Will it actually be just another Polaris Office like app, none even can say for sure. At any rate, the real test will occur in 2 weeks time. No amount of marketing and lies can cover it up if a product really stinks. We shall see what happen next.

[citation][nom]hydac7[/nom]Can i buy a non RT tablet and put windows 7 on it ? I don't like that touchy 8 shiet[/citation]
The RT tablet is using ARM chips, there is no way you could put Win 7 on it, as Win 7 does not have an ARM version. And why on earth would you buy a tablet and not use the touch screen? How do you plan to use it? If you plan to use the detachable keyboard 100% of the time, get an ultrabook instead.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]The RT tablet is using ARM chips, there is no way you could put Win 7 on it, as Win 7 does not have an ARM version. And why on earth would you buy a tablet and not use the touch screen? How do you plan to use it? If you plan to use the detachable keyboard 100% of the time, get an ultrabook instead.[/citation]Well he said buy a "non RT tablet", so I assumed he meant an x86 tablet of some variety. Even so he's still nuts, because the touch interface on Win8 is much better than anything I saw out of Win7 devices. But if he really insists, he can still buy an MSI Windpad with Win7. It's just really silly to do so at this point.

justjc

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006

A good guess would be the 3-5 million tablets they are expected to ship during the fourth quarter of 2012, after all that is the quarter it is expected to hit the shelves or homes as it is the case today.

G

How did people pre-order even before launch of the product? Apple never opens pre-order without a formal launch. It shows how desperate Microsoft is to get some sales before official iPad mini and Nexus launches this week.

Microsoft's first version of products are always piece of crap (whether it is hardware or software). can't believe people still trust Microsoft for all the crappy software they have released in the past including half baked technologies where several developers and corporations have lost tons of money because of investing in half baked MS technologies (e.g COM, DCOM, ADO, DAO, COM+, WCF, Silverlight, WPF). SOme of these technologies are already and dead and some are on the verge of dying. Again, MS has no vision or technology leadership. Apple and Google are going to steal the thunder with their product launches this week and Surface will face slow death like Zune.

Status
Not open for further replies.