A8N-E can't connect out to internet !

Albireo13

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
I have a new build and tried connecting to the internet for the first time. The mobo seems to be connecting to the network but, at 10MBPS it says. This seems slow to me. I have a DSL modem and am using the onboard LAN interface on my A8N-E mobo. I did NOT install the nForce Firewall which came with the mobo CD.

I installed XP Pro, installed SP2, and installed ASUS chipset drivers. Everything seems to be working otherwise. Now, I want to connect out to the internet to check for XP updates before loading apps and games.

The network is running fine since I have another pc which connects with no problems. I've compared as many settings as I can find, on network and LAN parameters, and they seem identical.

I don't get it.

Am I missing something?

Rob

ecosoft

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
Albireo13 Dude :)

I recently had the same problem with a fresh OS install (Win2k SP4 ... dispise XP) and I discovered that by simply opening the LAN Connection Status (double click twin display icon in sys tray) then, click Properties. Now, highlight the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) component and click Uinstall. Reboot system, reopen LAN Connection Status and re-Install Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Now, you will have to configure the TCP Properties for your LAN setup (I'm assuming your are using DHCP server facilities with your cable/DSL interface). Have fun :D

cowboytech

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Have you tried turning OFF all firewalls, going to command and running ipconfig release, then renew? I probably should have reread your posts, but if I remember correctly some adsl connections need a user password sent so the conection has authority to connect to www

First, do no harm!

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Since you said you have another machine on "the network" I assume you aren't pluggint the A8N-e directly into the dsl modem, is that correct? If so what kind of switch/router are you using.

To reset TCP/IP, you can just run this in a command window, no reboot needed:

netsh int ip reset reset.log

maury73

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
ALL DSL modems have 10Mbps ethernet interface, you don't need anything faster, because the maximum sustained speed of a DSL modem is 8Mbps (while new coming DLS2 goes up to 22MBps).

The A8N-E (I do have this exact mobo) LAN interface implements autosensing: it automatically adapts its bit rate at 1G/100M/10M bps, depending on the other device speed, so it's absolutely normal it switches down to 10Mbps when you connect to a DSL modem.

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
10MBPS it says. This seems slow to me
hmmmmmm as long as you have an internet connection slower than 10mbps, you're wrong... the speed of a network is given by the slowest device, which will cause a bottleneck. Then, it's pointless worrying about 10mbps between your computer and your router if between your router and the internet you have less than that. The max speed will be that between the internet and your router.

BUT, i've heard, or dreamed, i dont remember... this could be a driver issue with nvidia's integrated gigabit. If you dont install gigabit drivers, then the max speed will be 10mbps. Also, you should check if the cable you are using has 8 wires in it... if it has only 4, then it's a 10Mpbs. You should also check your router's manual to confirm if it is 10 or 100 mbps

maury73

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Also, you should check if the cable you are using has 8 wires in it... if it has only 4, then it's a 10Mpbs. You should also check your router's manual to confirm if it is 10 or 100 mbps

ALL ethernet cables are 8 wires, not 4. If you have a 4 wire cable it's an home built one, because it's impossibile to crimp such a cable with automatic machines since the connected pins are 1,2,3,6.
And most of all, ethernet doesn't require 8 wires, only 4: 1&2 for TX line and 3&6 for RX line: the 4 others (4+5 & 7+8) are used for POE (Power Over Ethernet) or in big datacenters in order to reduce cables count by wiring up a second line on the 2 free couples.

The only cables that don't go over 10Mbps (if they are very long) are very old CAT4 cables, but all ethernet cables since the last 10 years are CAT5.

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
ALL ethernet cables are 8 wires, not 4.
nope

If you have a 4 wire cable it's an home built one, because it's impossibile to crimp such a cable with automatic machines since the connected pins are 1,2,3,6
who said it wasn't home built? what machines have to do with this? now you say that machines that can build processor with sizes in nanomters cant crimp a cable just becase the wires are not sequential?

also, as you said, if you crimp 1,2,3 and 6 you'll have a CAT3 cable, which is 10Mbps. read more before saying wrong stuff

maury73

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Sorry, but the one who needs to reed more on this is you: I design hardware and firmware for high speed signal acquisition and trasmission all the day.

The CAT number is related to cables electrical parameters only (bandwidth, capacitance, impedance, insulation, S/N ratio, diaphony), but absolutely not the number of wires.
There are 2 & 4 wires CAT5 cables for telephone use and CAT6 2 wires (Half Duplex) and 4 wires (Full Duplex) cables for very high speed RS485 interfaces: in theese days at work I'm working on a 16Mbps RS485 Half Duplex link between two FPGAs, using a 12Mbps RS485 on a CAT6 2 wires cable.

And again: compliant Ethernet cables MUST have 8 wires in order to be marked for "Ethernet use" but if you buy a CAT5 4 wires cable and you crimp it by hand it will work at 1Gbps like any other commercial 8 wires cable.

And YES, automatic machines CAN'T wire up a 1,2,3,6 RJ45 cable woth IPT connectors, because IPT connectors need the wires to be in sequence for automatic crimping.
Or you must use other kinds of connectors, but they are much more expensive.

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
cool, but what's your point?
too much theory, zero practice...
i've made myself a lot of 4 wire 10mbps cables... also, most cards auto-sensing will not run at even 100Mbps (if any) with 4 wires, that's probably what's happening with the original poster...

1. his modem is 10Mbps
2. he's got a 4 wire cable

either way, my post was right and added some PRACTICAL help to the topic anyway...

maury73

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
You are right saying some cards slow down to 10Mbps when you connect a 4 wires cable, anyway I have the same mobo as that guy and it works at 1Gbps regularly with 4 wires CAT-5E cables.

So if it slows down to 10Mbps is because it's connected to a 10Mbps device (switches and routers don't slow down themself, they only adapt at incoming data rate).

maury73

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
No boring job at all, working at signal acquisition, conditioning related things it's very interesting in my opinion. And, most of all, they pay good :D

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I have tons of cables split to two rj45's/punches on each end, NEVER had one link at 10 if 100 was available. I've run 700ft cat 5e the same way and gotten 100mb links, just depends on the quality of the cable and connectors. Elastic networks did make a modem that would sync at 100mb by the way, can't remember the model though.

Sorry I missed the comment about conecting straight to the modem before. Try to manually set duplex/speed to 10/half in the nic driver and see what happens.

Wgfalcon

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
who is your provider?
Did they give any software to install?
did you have to go through the internet connection wizard?
what specific modem do you have ?
does the modem have sync?

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
ok, i was a little precipitated when i said you should read more before saying wrong stuff... but it drives me mad when someone comes up with posts full of theoretical and technical explanation posts that, at the end, dont contribute to the topic question at all.

sorry about that, and glad you came up with good info about the topic

Albireo13

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
I've tried several 8-wire cables.
Normally, my other pc is connected to a Lynksys router which connects to the DSL modem. For this build, I disconnected the router and connected the new pc directly to the modem output.

I'll go back and check the BIOS but, I'm sure I enabled LAN functions, ecept boot from LAN.

Wgfalcon

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
you have to setup the connection on your pc . the router is configured to to log you on automatically browse into the router and check the connection type
probably Ppoe and write down the settings you find and then run the internet connection wizard to set up the connection. all ethernet dsl will show your connection at 10 mbs because nic reads the max connect rate of the port it's connected to your router is probably 10/100 which is why it reads higher when connected through the router. to test connect this computer through your router and see if you can surf. having the router connected won't slow your connection unless your using more than one computer to access the internet at the same time