Selecting DPI For Printing - How ?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
February 24, 2005 8:37:54 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I have been reading that an image scanned at 1200 dpi can be printed out
at 300 dpi to obtain a reasonable quality enlargement.

I don't have a dpi selector on my hp deskjet 3420 driver. Is their a
work around for this ?
Thanks.

Micko

More about : selecting dpi printing

Anonymous
a b α HP
February 24, 2005 8:37:55 PM

"Micko" <-@-.-> wrote in message news:421e15a4@212.67.96.135...

> I have been reading that an image scanned at 1200 dpi can be printed out
> at 300 dpi to obtain a reasonable quality enlargement.
>
> I don't have a dpi selector on my hp deskjet 3420 driver. Is their a
> work around for this ?

Some free graphics software (e.g. Photoshop Elements,
distributed with some cameras) has this facility. You
should be able to specify (for any source image)
(1) Printout dimensions in cm. or inches.
(2) Printout dot density.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:37:54 +0000, in comp.periphs.printers Micko <-@-.->
wrote:

>I have been reading that an image scanned at 1200 dpi can be printed out
>at 300 dpi to obtain a reasonable quality enlargement.

These are more properly referred to as 1200 and 300ppi in these cases. PPI
being pixels per inch.

>I don't have a dpi selector on my hp deskjet 3420 driver. Is their a
>work around for this ?

Printer dpi is something completely different than image ppi, confusing
called dpi sometimes.

To help get an understanding of these concepts and the differences, I'd
recommend looking at the info found at
http://www.scantips.com/basics01.html
http://EdwardGRuf.com
!