Selecting DPI For Printing - How ?

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I have been reading that an image scanned at 1200 dpi can be printed out
at 300 dpi to obtain a reasonable quality enlargement.

I don't have a dpi selector on my hp deskjet 3420 driver. Is their a
work around for this ?
Thanks.

Micko
3 answers Last reply
More about selecting printing
  1. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    "Micko" <-@-.-> wrote in message news:421e15a4@212.67.96.135...

    > I have been reading that an image scanned at 1200 dpi can be printed out
    > at 300 dpi to obtain a reasonable quality enlargement.
    >
    > I don't have a dpi selector on my hp deskjet 3420 driver. Is their a
    > work around for this ?

    Some free graphics software (e.g. Photoshop Elements,
    distributed with some cameras) has this facility. You
    should be able to specify (for any source image)
    (1) Printout dimensions in cm. or inches.
    (2) Printout dot density.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:37:54 +0000, in comp.periphs.printers Micko <-@-.->
    wrote:

    >I have been reading that an image scanned at 1200 dpi can be printed out
    >at 300 dpi to obtain a reasonable quality enlargement.

    These are more properly referred to as 1200 and 300ppi in these cases. PPI
    being pixels per inch.

    >I don't have a dpi selector on my hp deskjet 3420 driver. Is their a
    >work around for this ?

    Printer dpi is something completely different than image ppi, confusing
    called dpi sometimes.

    To help get an understanding of these concepts and the differences, I'd
    recommend looking at the info found at
    http://www.scantips.com/basics01.html
    http://EdwardGRuf.com
  3. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Great tips!

    LF

    > recommend looking at the info found at
    > http://www.scantips.com/basics01.html

Printers Hewlett Packard DPI Peripherals