Sign in with
Your question

Please, STOP scrolling the New Forum Topic on the HomePage!

Last response: in CPUs
May 12, 2006 6:30:27 PM

Come on,
it is giving me headache all the time that I open the home page! Even some uneasiness in my stomach.

Also TomsHardware.com is set as my browser's homepage!

Thank you.
May 12, 2006 6:57:41 PM

I'm not calling for them to change anything, but I have to agree that I don't like the scrolling forum topics. The thing I dislike the most is when you are trying to chase a topic with your mouse and it keeps running away from you :D  .
May 12, 2006 7:01:54 PM

It only seems to run-away in firefox. I personally love it, I rarely have time to go into the forums, I usually only have time to reply to one or two entries in the scroll list, like this one :D 
Related resources
May 12, 2006 7:10:23 PM

I like it, but I wouldn't exactly miss it. The scrolling stops for me when I mouse-over them. I am running IE6.
May 12, 2006 7:17:19 PM

A simple scroll bar will be better than auto-scrolling flash box.

Flash technology is cool, but not always user-friendly.
May 12, 2006 7:33:32 PM

I LOVE the scrolling box. It's the only time I go to the forums and the main think I click on nowadays. I check a few times a dayu to see what is being discussed. I wish it would be moved up on the page so I don't have to scroll down. Forget the other crap, I just wanna see the scroll~!!!!
a b à CPUs
May 12, 2006 7:50:24 PM

WHOOT !!!! I love the scrolling box!!! :lol: 
May 12, 2006 7:53:14 PM

If it didn't scroll then nobody would have answered this stupid thread. Wait, maybe that would be a good thing...
May 12, 2006 7:55:28 PM

Quote:
I'm not calling for them to change anything, but I have to agree that I don't like the scrolling forum topics. The thing I dislike the most is when you are trying to chase a topic with your mouse and it keeps running away from you :D  .

This is the only issue I have with the scrolling topics. When you try to click one, it runs away from you. If your mouse is below the topic you want to click on, you have to race the mouse AROUND the box and come again from the top. Otherwise the mouse seems to push it right off the screen. It reminds me of the old windows 98 joke program called 'icofrite', where you could never click any icons because they would move around your screen JUST ENOUGH to keep out from under the mouse cursor.
May 12, 2006 7:59:47 PM

I like the scroll box too but would like to be able to scroll past the stuff I've already seen instead of waiting on it.
May 12, 2006 8:03:39 PM

Quote:

This is the only issue I have with the scrolling topics. When you try to click one, it runs away from you. If your mouse is below the topic you want to click on, you have to race the mouse AROUND the box and come again from the top. Otherwise the mouse seems to push it right off the screen. It reminds me of the old windows 98 joke program called 'icofrite', where you could never click any icons because they would move around your screen JUST ENOUGH to keep out from under the mouse cursor.

Which browser are you using? It stops the moment you mouseover any portion of the window in IE6
May 12, 2006 8:08:50 PM

It doesn't stop in either Firefox 1.5 or Opera 8/9. I've tried it in all three of those and it keeps going. Now, if you could control the scroll, then it might be a good idea. It's a touch on the irritating side, but it could be worse.
May 12, 2006 8:15:18 PM

I am using Firefox and the scrolling does stop when you mouse over the box. The problem is when your mouse is below the topic you want to click on. As you move the mouse up to click on the topic, it runs away just like Randy77 said.
Just for the record, I like having the new topics listed on the homepage (those are the only ones I read). I just dislike this one behavior.
May 12, 2006 8:40:36 PM

I really only look at the scroll list to see what's hot, like this topic, to see what to reply to.
May 12, 2006 8:41:16 PM

Quote:
A simple scroll bar will be better than auto-scrolling flash box.

Flash technology is cool, but not always user-friendly.

I do believe this is just JavaScript... at least the ones I have seen are..

Personally I love this, as it lets you see more topics... *Shrug*
May 12, 2006 8:42:02 PM

The absolute best way to check the forums IMHO is with a RSS feed.
This free's up your homepage for eye candy. :lol: 
May 12, 2006 8:42:31 PM

It doesn't stop in Opera 8 or 9 (PC or Mac), not tried PC Firefox but Mac Firefox works fine.

Anyone who uses IE is stoooooopid
May 12, 2006 8:49:02 PM

Quote:
The thing I dislike the most is when you are trying to chase a topic with your mouse and it keeps running away from you :D  .

Only happens in Firefox. But you just have to learn how to aim better and attack from the side. :lol: 
May 12, 2006 9:13:22 PM

Or jerk the mouse real quick, you can catch it, it just takes practice :) 
May 12, 2006 9:37:12 PM

Quote:
I LOVE the scrolling box. It's the only time I go to the forums and the main think I click on nowadays. I check a few times a dayu to see what is being discussed. I wish it would be moved up on the page so I don't have to scroll down. Forget the other crap, I just wanna see the scroll~!!!!

LOL :lol: 

That scrolling box is directly connected to my stomac and give me a feeling of sickness all around the head reaching also my stomac.
May 12, 2006 9:42:43 PM

Quote:

I do believe this is just JavaScript... at least the ones I have seen are..

Oops! You're right! This is JavaScript and not Flash. :roll: Anyway fixed text is better than scrolling text.
May 12, 2006 9:58:51 PM

I can only use Nutscrape at work, circumventing the IE filters but its fun to chase the topics sometimes they jump away fromyou then you have to wait for them on the second scroll!
May 12, 2006 10:10:06 PM

Exactly! And I don't like to wait the second scroll for catch it with the mouse.
May 12, 2006 11:22:04 PM

Quote:
Come on,
it is giving me headache all the time that I open the home page! Even some uneasiness in my stomach.

Also TomsHardware.com is set as my browser's homepage!

Thank you.

Ok.. now, what is your question or comment about CPU. Because you are in the CPU section...

There is a section called "other" for things like that..

Maybe the CPU section should be called "other"...

Or the whole forum called other..

But what was your point in posting it here rather than in the other section? .. Oh, you don't want to scrool the browser page more to see the bottom, as you are sick of scrooling..
May 13, 2006 12:54:43 AM

Yes you right, I didn't find the section 'other' because I was looking for the section 'off-topic'. But thanks know I know where to post next.

About the CPU ... without the scrolling box my CPU might works less. That's the CPU's point. Thanks.
May 13, 2006 1:25:35 AM

myself, i like the forum box

it keeps me informed of whats the latest "discussion" even though theres quite a few thats kinda stupid.

theres also funny ones
May 13, 2006 1:35:01 AM

I love the box itself, but I agree with some others that a scrollbar would be nice so you could manually scroll through the topics you have already read. I hate waiting to get all the way to the last few topics especially when I'm at work and I should be working!
!