Recommended Monitor for CAD work

RichPLS

Champion
I work on a CAD workstation 6 to 8 hrs a day. To me a high end LCD is mandatory, or else get someone else to stare all day at a crappy workstation.
I use a Dell 2405FPW, and it is ideal, and a 21" LCD is a minimum spec, imo.

4745454b

Titan
There are only two reasons I know of to avoid LCDs. High response times (ghosting) and bad color. CAD work doesn't have fast movement, so no problems with ghosting. I don't believe you would have any problems with accurate color either. (You only need to tell the difference between red and orange, not red and magenta.) Depending on sales, if the large screen LCDs are too much, I would get a couple of 17/19" I would probably go this route anyways. CAD work is easier on a dual monitor setup...

M_with_one_M

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
I have previosly worked with autocad and I really can't see how a crt could be better than a lcd. The lcd has a clearer picture since it can't be out of focus as crt's somtimes are. The lct is also easier on the eyes since it doesn't flicker like crt.
I would recomend that you get as large monitor as possible and don't buy a high prized smaller monitor.

RichPLS

Champion
LCD is far much better than any CRT monitor for CAD, and the larger the better. Don't take me and my 15 years CAD engineering experience, ask any CAD operator.
Also, a 19" CRT is small for CAD design, generally considered entry level.

Like I said, CAD workstations make money, skip and you lose productivity and motivation. Bigger is better with CAD displays.

4745454b

Titan
Not sure why people seem to miss what I said. Buy two smaller displays! Multi monitor is better then single large monitor. I'm sure you could buy two 17" LCDs for the same price as a large one. If your into treating yourself, two 19" LCDs would be perfect. (two 21"s would be best, but not everyone can afford this...) I'm not sure what a large monitor costs, but two of these are only $540. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116375
This will give you two 19" LCD monitors again, for less then $550 shipped. Cheap 20"s seem to be arround $475, while 23" LCDs start at $920. Again, I'd rather spend the extra $75 and get the two 19" LCDs, way more pixels...

RichPLS

Champion
I used to use a 21" and a 19" for CAD, but found it more efficient to have a larger single LCD since it is easier on the eyes and a second monitor does not help that much anymore.
In the old days, a color monitor and a monochrome monitor were referred, with the text window on the mono display.
Using two displays today the same second display is used for text, the main one for graphics.
Two monitors does not negate one bit having at least one large LCD, the second monitor can be even a 15" CRT, since it only needs to display a text window.

Topota_madre

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
I Agree.

Best one big monitor than two little. Minimun CAD monitor 20" 1600x1200. Little second monitor is useful to show text and palettes (like properties etc) and web (loking specs of things you are drawing etc)

Thorax

Distinguished
May 14, 2006
I use a sony sdm-p234 (23" 1920 x 1200) for CAD work like solidworks and visio. I think a single large format display is easier to use than two 19/17" LCD. The Dell 24" and 30" are also ideal. Quite an investment though.