Well, I figured I'd give it another shot while I had the PCI card for recovery.
Flashed it with the X800XL (AGP) bios from the techpowerup website. Booted fine and unlocked the extra pipes! So I don't know what went wrong in the first place. the only thing I did different was to add the -newbios flag using atiflash:
atiflash -newbios -f -p 0 16pipe.bin
Anyways, I'm all happy now that I have all my pipes open (allways good to clean the pipes... :wink:) I was able to o/c it to 450/549 stable as well so that puts it somewhere between a stock X800XL and X800XT I believe.
Thanks again for your help