P4 - 805D

jasonr49

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
I have a few questions that I'm sure are considered noobish, but I've read that huge 7 page thread about this processor and i can't find a certain answer in specific...

I'm thinking of going with the Asus P5P800-SE, if you go to the Asus website it specifically says that this processor is supported. My question is this, does the the above mentioned processor NEED DDR2 RAM? Cause the motherboard doesn't support it... yet it claims to support the chip. I'm thinking that it doesn't NEED that type of RAM (DDR2) but obviously would run better. So my 2nd question is (taking for granted the 805D will work with DDR memory) how will I clock the system to accomodate some mild overclocking? Heck, even if I could go 3.3Ghz I'd be more then happy.

P.S. The reason I'm going with this board is because of my video card, I'm not tempted to replace it as I'm happy with it. I couldn't find 1 motherboard that supported DDR2 with an AGP slot. Most are ePCI...

Any answers / suggestions welcome.

sex_monkey

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
ddr2 wont work on that mobo. "the p5p800se is based on the intel 865PE chipset and thus uses DDR1 and AGP"
if you are over clocking to high speed like in the review their fsb was near 200mhz so good quality ddr400 would prob do it.
try googling p5p800se for more info http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=215116
he got it to 3ghz on stock voltage with ocz value ddr400 ram.
wow thats an extremely cheap way of having a dual core cpu!
im sure there are some disadvantages to using ddr instead of ddr2