Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is this a good computer (spending around $2300cdn before tax

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 12, 2006 10:04:55 PM

I was wondering if this met your guyses approval:

Intel Pentium D 805 2.66GHZ (OC to 3.8ghz)
Asus P5WD2 Premium
XFX 7900GTX EXTREME
OCZ 2GB Kit PC-5400 667MHz
WD Caviar SE SATA-II 200GB, 7200RPM
Thermaltake (Silver) VB1000SWS Soprano Case
Nikao Best Power 500Watt ATX
ZALMAN CNPS9500LED (heatsink)
ACER AL1916B LCD (Black) 19" monitor

now that not including the DVD burners, network card, floppy drive, speakers, or keyboard.
I was first thinking of getting a AMD - Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core (3800+) 2.0 GHz and a Asus A8N5X NF4 motherboard but after reading the thing on the front page of the site (when the guys OC the intel processor) a couple of days ago i changed my mind.
Anyway say what you think of it please.
May 12, 2006 10:18:58 PM

what do you meen by 9xx series?
May 12, 2006 10:57:07 PM

instead of the Intel 805 , there is the 9xx series


other then that an opty 165 would go nice also , like prozac26 said



anywho there both dual core your choice
Related resources
May 13, 2006 12:46:48 AM

The Tom's article on a 4.1 GHz OC to a D805 makes for an interesting engineering exercise. Did you notice the heat output, power requirements and general stress being put on that system? I might do a 3.3GHz OC long term on a system like that but I would not spend $2k to build it. Do it on the cheap with as many throw-away parts as possible.

A 3800 x2 is a better value, even at almost $300. Intel will be giving away its P4 procs over the next few months. I'd wait for Conroe, which is coming soon, or get an AMD now. Even a 9xx series P4D would be a better choice.
May 13, 2006 1:17:49 AM

I've have to agree with the others in suggesting an Opteron. Even if you can do something doesn't mean you should, and just because the technonerds at Toms CAN do something doesn't mean YOU can as well. Numerous problems come up when you OC.
May 13, 2006 4:31:43 AM

Quote:
I've have to agree with the others in suggesting an Opteron.
Numerous problems come up when you OC.


Which is it? You're agreeing with the others to buy and O/C the Opteron...

Then you advise against getting the 805 to O/C because numerous problems

come up when overclocking. Sounds like a classic Fanboy statement :x
May 13, 2006 5:02:48 AM

The opteron is known for being much less stressful, and much more stable. It has also has a much greater history of OCing than the 8xx's and 9xx's from what I understand.

DDay

I'd go with the Opty 165. I mean, I guess you could say I'm prejudiced because thats what I'm getting, but still. I've done my research.
May 13, 2006 3:44:03 PM

Your spending a good sum of money, I wouldn't skimp on the processor. I would go with the opty or 3800 if you have to get a processor now. I would suggest waiting a little bit until core 2 duo to upgrade.
May 13, 2006 4:35:24 PM

what do you guys meen by core 2 duo? i'm a bit of a noob when it comes to CPU's lol
May 13, 2006 5:00:14 PM

It isnt fanboy, its fact. Even when you can oc the 805 to 3.8 it makes 250 watts of power just for the cpu. That is f***ing hot. You will need one heck of a cooling system to deal with all that heat. Then need a beefy powersuply that can supply all that. In alot of the testing the fx-60 was still on top at 2.6. The opty 165 usually can do that at on stock so there isnt much extra heat ect and it gives i think a 40/50% oc. It is also not unheard of getting an 165 to 2.8 tho that is for a good stepping ect.
May 13, 2006 6:33:35 PM

Quote:
what do you guys meen by core 2 duo? i'm a bit of a noob when it comes to CPU's lol
In that case I would definitely recommend that you build a stable stock system with your $2300cn. Spend some time researching (this forum and other sources) about overclocking before you try to build something that geeks will spend endless hours getting it set up right. The money you have to spend will buy a nice system that will last for years.
May 13, 2006 8:16:12 PM

dude stick to the intel and get the pentium d 930 and with the X1900XT it is far better than the 7900 series
May 13, 2006 8:18:32 PM

Quote:
I was wondering if this met your guyses approval:

Intel Pentium D 805 2.66GHZ (OC to 3.8ghz)
Asus P5WD2 Premium
XFX 7900GTX EXTREME
OCZ 2GB Kit PC-5400 667MHz
WD Caviar SE SATA-II 200GB, 7200RPM
Thermaltake (Silver) VB1000SWS Soprano Case
Nikao Best Power 500Watt ATX
ZALMAN CNPS9500LED (heatsink)
ACER AL1916B LCD (Black) 19" monitor

now that not including the DVD burners, network card, floppy drive, speakers, or keyboard.
I was first thinking of getting a AMD - Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core (3800+) 2.0 GHz and a Asus A8N5X NF4 motherboard but after reading the thing on the front page of the site (when the guys OC the intel processor) a couple of days ago i changed my mind.
Anyway say what you think of it please.


I think you might be spending way too much money if you're paying near $2300 cdn for that. Mine cost the equivilant of about $500 cdn less. I live in the US though, but I can't imagine your prices are that much higher.

My rig:
Has one less gig of ram than yours.
40 less MB storage.
No network card as it's on the motherboard.
Has a way better processor.

About $100 USD though would all all of the above onto my system.

I also have a 7600GT vs the 7900 GTX < I highly recommened the 7600GT instead as the performace gains with the 7900GTX isn't worth the extra $$ when directX 10 is coming out in less than a year. Also, I don't know of any game that the 7600 doesn't have trouble with that the 7900 also doesn't have trouble with. And the only game I know of where both have trouble at the highest settings is Oblivion.

For the purpsoses of price comparison though, I include the $250 I spent on my Logitech 5.1 speaker system. Also included is the 19" Samsung LCD monitor I got for about $350 US. So you can basically say that your system costs you $750 more canadian than mines does if you don't consider the speakers.

All in all, you're spending a heapload of money you don't need to I think.
May 13, 2006 8:30:14 PM

They are, they are much, MUCH, worse. Its SUCKS. Yeah, I'm just glad I have an address in the states. :D  Yay for free shipping and no GST and PST and ridiculous increases in prices. For instance, I remember shopping for a Opty 165 here in canada, and it had something like a 20% increase in price from the american price. And that didn't even include the tax. And this takes into account exchange rates.

DDay
May 14, 2006 5:27:09 AM

Look man do your research before you call someone a fan boy. Out of my 3 computers I have 2 Pentium processors, one AMD, 3 Nvidia cards and 1 ATI card. I get what is the best for the price at the time.

Opterons are better at OC'ing than Pentiums are... plain and simple so take your "fanboy" and shove it up where the sun don't shine.

Just by calling me a fanboy of AMD sounds like you are a fanboy of Intel...
May 14, 2006 8:05:14 AM

Quote:
Look man do your research before you call someone a fan boy. Out of my 3 computers I have 2 Pentium processors, one AMD, 3 Nvidia cards and 1 ATI card. I get what is the best for the price at the time.

Opterons are better at OC'ing than Pentiums are... plain and simple so take your "fanboy" and shove it up where the sun don't shine.

Just by calling me a fanboy of AMD sounds like you are a fanboy of Intel...


Really.......... You sure that Opties are better for O/Cing than Pentiums?

I'd like to see your proof of that. And ATI vs Nvidia, doesn't help towards

your arguments. Hey bud, just because you have a Pentium or 2

(however old they are), doesn't mean you aren't an AMD Fanboy.

Show me the research you're talking about, and then i will apologize.

The Opteron. obviously, has more "history" overclocking. The 805's

overclocking abilities have only hit the spotlight recently.........So

give it a fair shake before you start "Spouting Off".

One of the "Joys" of overclocking, is (free lunch). If you don't know what

that means, you're in the wrong Forum. And BTW.... free lunch, doesn't

necessarily mean -Easiest O/C. If i have to "pick" the right mobo to O/C

and the right RAM.....that's part of "knowing what your doing". Gives

me a sense of pride. You?
May 14, 2006 8:15:28 AM

Wow, calm down there. No need to get pissy and have a cat fight. And yes, the Opty has more of a "history". But also, do you really want to OC a pentium? They have HUGE heat outputs, pull TONS of power and are a lot more likely to fail from what I've heard. Personally, I'm taking THG post about them with a grain of salt. I really like the idea of the 8xx and the 9xx being cheap dual core OCers though. Its awesome, it brings in a whole new wave of people that couldn't previously afford it. If the 8xx and 9xx turn out as good as THG, well then good, but like I said, I'll wait a few months to see if those processors are still running without errors at those speeds.

DDay

And honestly, I think I'm being pretty openminded with this. And no, I'm not a Opty/AMD fan boy. I think with my brain, not my computer dick.
May 14, 2006 8:53:35 AM

I would definitely get an X1900XT instead. Newer technology that can do more thinks (HDR + AA). This will give you the best possible experience.
May 14, 2006 8:58:50 AM

Quote:
Wow, calm down there. No need to get pissy and have a cat fight. And yes, the Opty has more of a "history". But also, do you really want to OC a pentium? They have HUGE heat outputs, pull TONS of power and are a lot more likely to fail from what I've heard. Personally, I'm taking THG post about them with a grain of salt. I really like the idea of the 8xx and the 9xx being cheap dual core OCers though. Its awesome, it brings in a whole new wave of people that couldn't previously afford it. If the 8xx and 9xx turn out as good as THG, well then good, but like I said, I'll wait a few months to see if those processors are still running without errors at those speeds.

DDay

And honestly, I think I'm being pretty openminded with this. And no, I'm not a Opty/AMD fan boy. I think with my brain, not my computer dick.

Wasn't getting "Pissy" with you. Yes i have a Prescott "fairly overclocked"

and yes ...very enjoyable. Overclocking isn't "just" about which is easiest.

I've gotten well over 50% O/C, and i have a "great" mobo, great RAM,

great HS/F, and YES.... it compares very favourably to "top of the line"

single core processors,and it was silly cheap. YES.... i bought rockin'

RAM, One of the best Mobo's Going, and an A**kicking HS/F, and you

know what? I'm proud of what my CPU can do....and even when i add

up all the high-end components, i'm still ahead of the game.


You ever heard the word "underdog? Sorry....not the guy you want

to argue with, when i'm drunk. I'm not "always" right, but i'll get you

going, nonetheless :wink: I think the 805D is a great way of luring

people into our glorious world of overclocking. Sort of like XP1700,

2.4C, 300A, ......Don't knock it. :) 













'
May 14, 2006 10:05:59 PM

I agree that the 805 overclock opportunity is a good one. Looking at it from the "big picture" of history, it's also a blip in time opportunity. Intel is putting out the old 805 with new stepping, and combined with it's low clock speed for its generation AND its giveaway price makes a bargain humters dream for those who live computers.
The problem is that it has a very limited market. Mainstream computer builders (if there is such a thing!) should steer clear of this OC opportunity just as we so often recommend they stay away of high perf but unstable mobos. This is a "geek only" opportunity for those who will put up with tweaking unstable parameters, lots of heat (LOTS!), huge energy demands on the system, Loud and/or liquid cooling solutions, and hours and hours spent accomodating this. All in trade for a few dollars.
In a few months the same performance will be available without all the headaches for a reasonable price, so what's the point?
!