trim Control (How the Hell do you use it)

Hello,

The Trim Control in the Cockpit seems to be this knob thing, is there a
key on the keyboard to use it to level out?

When you click on it it shows a + or a - symbol what do these mean and
when i try them they just make the aircraft go up and down like a
rocking horse! How do you use the Trim Control to level it out i really
have not got a clue?

And when i click the Autopillot Master Switch it makes the aircraft
very clumsy how do you use that as well?

The Aircraft i usually fly are:

737, 767, 777, 747, 757, Airbus etc

More about trim control hell

    Matty wrote:
    > The Aircraft i usually fly are:
    >
    > 737, 767, 777, 747, 757, Airbus etc

    There's your problem aman, try something simple first, like the Wright
    Flyer!

    Matty wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > The Trim Control in the Cockpit seems to be this knob thing, is there
    > a key on the keyboard to use it to level out?
    >
    > When you click on it it shows a + or a - symbol what do these mean and
    > when i try them they just make the aircraft go up and down like a
    > rocking horse! How do you use the Trim Control to level it out i
    > really have not got a clue?
    >
    > And when i click the Autopillot Master Switch it makes the aircraft
    > very clumsy how do you use that as well?
    >
    > The Aircraft i usually fly are:
    >
    > 737, 767, 777, 747, 757, Airbus etc

    On the offchance that the OP may be a genuine poster...

    Have a look in the learning centre under "Trim" and "Autopilot". It's all
    there. I suggest starting with the simple lessons and working your way up.

    Tim

    Hi,

    If you place your mouse cursor on the trim wheel you will see the "+" or "-"
    display itself. What you can do is at that time, click and HOLD DOWN the
    left mouse button, then drag the mouse back and forth and you will see that
    the trim wheel move. The trim essentially allows you to place the aircraft
    nose in an up or down position with out having to constantly hold the
    control yolk. Now "-" means "nose down" and "+" means nose up.

    Give it a try.

    Do you have a joystick and if so what brand/model. Usually there are two
    buttons on the joystick that will actuate the trim wheel and is easier than
    using the mouse. It takes a while to get used to using the trim but it
    becomes an essential aid in maually flying the airplane. It will become
    natural to you with continued practice.

    Mike
    "Matty" <Matty@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > The Trim Control in the Cockpit seems to be this knob thing, is there a
    > key on the keyboard to use it to level out?
    >
    > When you click on it it shows a + or a - symbol what do these mean and
    > when i try them they just make the aircraft go up and down like a
    > rocking horse! How do you use the Trim Control to level it out i really
    > have not got a clue?
    >
    > And when i click the Autopillot Master Switch it makes the aircraft
    > very clumsy how do you use that as well?
    >
    > The Aircraft i usually fly are:
    >
    > 737, 767, 777, 747, 757, Airbus etc

    One other thing. It appears you are using the trim and by the sound of the
    aircraft reaction, you are over doing it. In other words, use the trim in
    incremental amounts until you get the plane established in the nose up, nose
    down or level attitude you want. Remember you need to pay attention to
    AIRSPEED while doing this. A plane's airspeed is controlled primarily by
    changing the pitch (nose up/down). It is possible to over do trim in the
    nose up position and cause the plane to slow to a stall. On the other hand,
    by trimming the plane to a nose down attitude, the plane can overspeed.
    Play with it and watch the airspeeds change as you use the trim.

    Now you are flying those big planes and they are heavier and respond a bit
    differently. They have considerable mass and inertia and take some getting
    used to. There are some "lead/lag" issues between control inputs and
    aircraft responses that can complicate things. You might want to try
    exercising yourself with a smaller aircraft, say a Cessna 172, 182 and the
    like. All the principles learned on the small ones will translate forward
    to the larger aircraft. Have fun!

    Mike
    "Matty" <Matty@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > The Trim Control in the Cockpit seems to be this knob thing, is there a
    > key on the keyboard to use it to level out?
    >
    > When you click on it it shows a + or a - symbol what do these mean and
    > when i try them they just make the aircraft go up and down like a
    > rocking horse! How do you use the Trim Control to level it out i really
    > have not got a clue?
    >
    > And when i click the Autopillot Master Switch it makes the aircraft
    > very clumsy how do you use that as well?
    >
    > The Aircraft i usually fly are:
    >
    > 737, 767, 777, 747, 757, Airbus etc

    In case you think that trim is a waste of time, when I was learning to fly
    IRL, I asked a retired test pilot if he had any advice to give me. His reply
    was 'Trim, trim and trim again'.

    In the flight sim, if you are not a trained pilot, you will never get the
    skills or full value without going through the flight training on the
    smaller aircraft. It is a sim and not a game. Thus you need in a small way
    to go through the same processes as a real life pilot. I have a PPL and
    several hundred hours of private flying, but I still have no idea how to fly
    a 747 on the simulator properly! Of course I have had a go and played
    around, but that is not quite the same thing.

    Cheers
    Quilly

    Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
    http://www.livtech.co.uk

    Oh yeah trim is a key skill to learn and will serve you well! I haven't
    flown in 18 years and was a flight instructor back in the 70's and '80s and
    loved it! I gotta tell ya, simming is my salvation :)

    What you will discover about the heavies is that the trim process is much
    more active. If you think about it, it becomes evident why. Their weight
    creates a dynamic during transitions in pitch attitude that lasts a LONG
    time. If you want to see it in action, arm the autopilot and set it to
    acquire an altitude. Watch that trim wheel gyrate back and forth as it
    approaches the selected altitude. That will give you and idea what you will
    need to do manually.

    Let's say you transition from climb to level flight and trim for that.
    Well, in the lighter planes, you will go thru several re-trims as the plane
    increases in speed. As that happens, residual nose up trim causes the
    plane to start climbing again, so you need to re-trim. In short order, it
    all stabilizes. Now, on the bigger planes, the re-trim process continues
    and continues and continues........:) Finally you get there....whew! But
    wait, you are not done! The slightest change in the big plane's pitch
    attitude will suddenly generate a 500 or 1000 foot rate of climb or descent!
    So you see, you will need to be a busy pilot flying a big plane manually.
    Hint: you WILL gain an appreciation for an autopilot :).

    Mike
    > In case you think that trim is a waste of time, when I was learning to fly
    > IRL, I asked a retired test pilot if he had any advice to give me. His
    > reply was 'Trim, trim and trim again'.
    >
    > In the flight sim, if you are not a trained pilot, you will never get the
    > skills or full value without going through the flight training on the
    > smaller aircraft. It is a sim and not a game. Thus you need in a small way
    > to go through the same processes as a real life pilot. I have a PPL and
    > several hundred hours of private flying, but I still have no idea how to
    > fly a 747 on the simulator properly! Of course I have had a go and played
    > around, but that is not quite the same thing.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Quilly
    >

    > Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
    > http://www.livtech.co.uk

    You asked about the auto pilot? Here is quicky tutorial I made up. The
    process works well fore me. Others may do it differently. I am using the
    737 for this. Take a look:

    http://www.mbm30.org/Mike/AutoPilot/

    Mike
    "Matty" <Matty@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > The Trim Control in the Cockpit seems to be this knob thing, is there a
    > key on the keyboard to use it to level out?
    >
    > When you click on it it shows a + or a - symbol what do these mean and
    > when i try them they just make the aircraft go up and down like a
    > rocking horse! How do you use the Trim Control to level it out i really
    > have not got a clue?
    >
    > And when i click the Autopillot Master Switch it makes the aircraft
    > very clumsy how do you use that as well?
    >
    > The Aircraft i usually fly are:
    >
    > 737, 767, 777, 747, 757, Airbus etc

    Hi Quilljar,

    Good points - from what I've gathered, you shouldn't/wouldn't really be
    flying the "heavies" seriously, even the default ones. unless you
    expect/have tried to prepare for, some serious learning, and are prepared to
    keep on learning.

    Is it easy to become a 747 Pilot in real life? I don't think so. And we
    are talking about a pretty good Simulator, here, not a game!

    Regards,
    John Ward
    > In case you think that trim is a waste of time, when I was learning to fly
    > IRL, I asked a retired test pilot if he had any advice to give me. His
    > reply was 'Trim, trim and trim again'.
    >
    > In the flight sim, if you are not a trained pilot, you will never get the
    > skills or full value without going through the flight training on the
    > smaller aircraft. It is a sim and not a game. Thus you need in a small way
    > to go through the same processes as a real life pilot. I have a PPL and
    > several hundred hours of private flying, but I still have no idea how to
    > fly a 747 on the simulator properly! Of course I have had a go and played
    > around, but that is not quite the same thing.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Quilly
    >

    > Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
    > http://www.livtech.co.uk

    Mikepic,

    Thats a nice little tutorial but I would be wary of this so called poster
    (or rather imposter). Notice how many
    stupid questions he/she/troll is posting requesting timewasting activities
    trying to sort out their problems. There is very little
    feedback, if any, from them. No thanks or 'I'll give that a go' - pathetic.
    Dont waste your time on them mate!

    Ibby

    "mikepic" <mikepic@insightbb.com> wrote in message
    > You asked about the auto pilot? Here is quicky tutorial I made up. The
    > process works well fore me. Others may do it differently. I am using the
    > 737 for this. Take a look:
    >
    > http://www.mbm30.org/Mike/AutoPilot/
    >
    > Mike
    > "Matty" <Matty@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> The Trim Control in the Cockpit seems to be this knob thing, is there a
    >> key on the keyboard to use it to level out?
    >>
    >> When you click on it it shows a + or a - symbol what do these mean and
    >> when i try them they just make the aircraft go up and down like a
    >> rocking horse! How do you use the Trim Control to level it out i really
    >> have not got a clue?
    >>
    >> And when i click the Autopillot Master Switch it makes the aircraft
    >> very clumsy how do you use that as well?
    >>
    >> The Aircraft i usually fly are:
    >>
    >> 737, 767, 777, 747, 757, Airbus etc

    Gotcha, Ibby. I'm, getting wiser :)

    Thanks!

    Mike
    "Ibby (The Artist Formally Known as Chris)" <chris@mwapartnership.co.uk>
    wrote in message news:ddhrlj$6qp$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
    > Mikepic,
    >
    > Thats a nice little tutorial but I would be wary of this so called poster
    > (or rather imposter). Notice how many
    > stupid questions he/she/troll is posting requesting timewasting activities
    > trying to sort out their problems. There is very little
    > feedback, if any, from them. No thanks or 'I'll give that a go' -
    > pathetic. Dont waste your time on them mate!
    >
    > Ibby
    >
    > "mikepic" <mikepic@insightbb.com> wrote in message
    >> You asked about the auto pilot? Here is quicky tutorial I made up. The
    >> process works well fore me. Others may do it differently. I am using
    >> the 737 for this. Take a look:
    >>
    >> http://www.mbm30.org/Mike/AutoPilot/
    >>
    >> Mike
    >> "Matty" <Matty@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> The Trim Control in the Cockpit seems to be this knob thing, is there a
    >>> key on the keyboard to use it to level out?
    >>>
    >>> When you click on it it shows a + or a - symbol what do these mean and
    >>> when i try them they just make the aircraft go up and down like a
    >>> rocking horse! How do you use the Trim Control to level it out i really
    >>> have not got a clue?
    >>>
    >>> And when i click the Autopillot Master Switch it makes the aircraft
    >>> very clumsy how do you use that as well?
    >>>
    >>> The Aircraft i usually fly are:
    >>>
    >>> 737, 767, 777, 747, 757, Airbus etc

Video Games