NASA Envisions Ironman-Like Exoskeleton For Walking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
I could see this being used on earth. I know of a few people who's lives would be SOOO much easier with something like this.

And I do beleave something like this is currently under trials for the United States Military. (Can't recall the name of it)

RealJames

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
Oops ... was already logged in xD

Anyways, i can easily imagine a 300lb obese you-know-which-nationality person just destroying this thing under their own body weight, or not being able to even wear it cuz it doesn't fit

Astronauts and athletes are just about the only people in that country who could wear it as it is in that picture, oh and some actors

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
[citation][nom]lockhrt999[/nom]^ They are called DARPA or Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DARPA[/citation]
No, I was talking about what it's called, not who is testing/making/using them. I know what DARPA is and what they do. =/

It differs a bit in design from the one that NASA is trying. The military one isn't as complex. It's mainly ment to help take some of the weight off you and allow you to carry more, while this NASA one looks to help you move around without or very little weight.

Edit: I found it. It's called "Human Universal Load Carrier" or HULC for short and it's made by Lockheed Martin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=y1CeBOWm67A

As you can see it's slimmer and this new X1 is more than likely based off of the HULC's tech.

snowzsan

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
[citation][nom]RealJames[/nom]Oops ... was already logged in xDAnyways, i can easily imagine a 300lb obese you-know-which-nationality person just destroying this thing under their own body weight, or not being able to even wear it cuz it doesn't fitAstronauts and athletes are just about the only people in that country who could wear it as it is in that picture, oh and some actors[/citation]

I'm guessing you're a better person though, right? Too bad you've never heard the saying "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!" but I guess where you're from (you-know-where) people are all as ignorant and stupid as you?

Anyway, sticking to the article! It's a pretty cool advancement. Given its taken a while for tech like this to actually evolve to it's current state, though I do know of multiple projects that share a similar goal. Keep on it NASA, maybe do some joint research (no pun intended) with some of the other engineers from say Japan, etc. etc. You should have that thing kicking in no time!

G

I want one, if it means I can catch and rip the limbs off of the web ad script writers and programmers that overide the red X on the upper right of a window that only should be used to close a window! Yes I am sure I would like to close this window and ignore your annoying ad! Yes I am sure I would enjoy ripping your appendages off while repeating that annoying phrase!

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]RealJames[/nom]Oops ... was already logged in xDAnyways, i can easily imagine a 300lb obese you-know-which-nationality person just destroying this thing under their own body weight, or not being able to even wear it cuz it doesn't fitAstronauts and athletes are just about the only people in that country who could wear it as it is in that picture, oh and some actors[/citation]

Has anyone told you yet today that you're a ninny? Because you are.

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011

They already have devices for the big peoples. They are called scooters. Just visit a local wal mart and you will see lots of big people using them.

apone

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
[citation][nom]amuffin[/nom]Now we just need to add repulsor rays..........Proton [/citation]

LOL, I was just thinking "Here's my Sunday Best! Proton Cannon!"

Status
Not open for further replies.