Sign in with
Your question

why do you all need 64 by 64 microprocessors?

Last response: in CPUs
May 13, 2006 12:05:45 AM

when in fact all the peripheral devices are 32 bit? the software is 32 bit?

32 lines of the data bus are nul ?.

not to mention switching sockets to keep you buying the latest and greatest? mainboards and cpu's ? but not a sound on the drives and such that store the data?. and only a peep from the softwae community on when the transistion to true 64 bit code?.

from what i have gathered from reading the posts is most of you renew your computer yearly to keep up with the changes if not yearly definatlely eary two years!. now is this really wise?

and yes i see the flames coming!.

More about : microprocessors

May 13, 2006 12:07:32 AM

Get help now!
May 13, 2006 12:09:28 AM

really chasin the clock and now casin the core? really makes sense lol!.
Related resources
May 13, 2006 12:59:33 AM

Because that's what Intel and AMD sell :wink:
May 13, 2006 1:05:34 AM

nobody in their right mind bought a new cpu just for its 64bit support. we upgrade every two years cause games require faster video cards, and faster video cards want faster cpus. if you want to buy athlon xps just in order not to god forbid have a feature on your processor you might not use right away, be my guest. just dont make retarded threads like this again...
May 13, 2006 1:15:49 AM

Quote:

not to mention switching sockets to keep you buying the latest and greatest? mainboards and cpu's ? but not a sound on the drives and such that store the data?. and only a peep from the softwae community on when the transistion to true 64 bit code?.

from what i have gathered from reading the posts is most of you renew your computer yearly to keep up with the changes if not yearly definatlely eary two years!. now is this really wise?

It's an hobby, I don't care, neither should you...

Some people blow insane amount of money on sports cars, hookers, strippers, cocaine, booze, gambling, guns, sex toys, pr0n, liposuccion, facelifts, implants, Botox, child support, vintage wine, stinkin' cheeze, speed tickets, lawsuits, designer rags, sport equipement, pets, antiquities, SUVs, parachute, travel, consoles, books, pools, scuba diving, bicycles and so on... *puffs*

Most people posting here spend less than 500$ on hardware each year, hardly an unresoneable amount.

Regardless, the "64'bitness" of a CPU was'nt a factor in the vast majority of those purchases, personally, I could'nt care less if my CPU did'nt support x86-64 instructions, I don't use them and don't plan on using them either.
May 13, 2006 1:32:26 AM

Who cares if the chips also support pink kazoos? As long as they get the job done, what is the problem? If this is the most pressing conundrum you are mentally wrestling with, you need a life. Have you seen the news? The world is gone to hell in an SUV, Big Oil is driving, and THIS is your gripe?

Adjust your alcohol intake up or down until you reach quiet.
Thanks in advance.
May 13, 2006 1:59:56 AM

Quote:
Some people blow insane amount of money on sports cars, hookers, strippers, cocaine, booze, gambling, guns, sex toys, pr0n, liposuccion, facelifts, implants, Botox, vintage wine, stinkin' cheeze, speed tickets, lawsuits, designer rags, sport equipement, pets, antiquities, SUVs, parachute, travel, consoles, books, pools, scuba diving, bicycles and so on... *puffs*
Some list; don't forget to mention child support. :?
May 13, 2006 2:05:31 AM

Yeah, good point !

Tuition fees really hurts, I'm still paying back my debts due to the lack of the aforementioned support...
May 13, 2006 2:56:37 AM

Quote:

Some people blow insane amount of money on sports cars, hookers, strippers, cocaine, booze, gambling, guns, sex toys, pr0n, liposuccion, facelifts, implants, Botox, child support, vintage wine, stinkin' cheeze, speed tickets, lawsuits, designer rags, sport equipement, pets, antiquities, SUVs, parachute, travel, consoles, books, pools, scuba diving, bicycles and so on... *puffs*

Most people posting here spend less than 500$ on hardware each year, hardly an unresoneable amount.

Regardless, the "64'bitness" of a CPU was'nt a factor in the vast majority of those purchases, personally, I could'nt care less if my CPU did'nt support x86-64 instructions, I don't use them and don't plan on using them either.

I am with Sidvicious, what should anybody care what another person buys? If people have computers as their hobby, then so what.
May 13, 2006 3:07:50 AM

Quote:

I am with Sidvicious, what should anybody care what another person buys? If people have computers as their hobby, then so what.

not everybody has money like that to spend.

yep that's cool, the OP did not make reference to the amount of money spent, just on why you would keep up to date. People will usually have hobbies that fit their lifestyle and life goals. I might have maney to spend on computers but not to buy jets and fly them around the world, does that me jealous and attack people? (well ok a bit jealous) but meh, I am happy with my hobby
May 13, 2006 3:13:35 AM

:?: Are you saying, if we only had 8 bit devices, we should only have
an 8 bit cpu? You need more bits for addressing and decoding a more powerful instruction set. Plus, the software, can byte swap, word swap,
long word swap, or whatever.
May 13, 2006 3:53:09 AM

typical, I ask for help in another thread and get just a few replies. This fool post junk and gets many replies. Americans love more so we buy more, shut up fool.
May 13, 2006 4:14:07 AM

No kidding. It's no wonder the 80386DX failed so miserably. There wasn't any 32bit software available. Even Bill Gates said; "Who could possibly ever need more than 640KB of memory?"

So go back to your comic books.
May 13, 2006 5:07:01 AM

Quote:
Even Bill Gates said; "Who could possibly ever need more than 640KB of memory?"

Actually he didn't. But live in your little world if you need to.
a c 473 à CPUs
May 13, 2006 5:24:57 AM

I'm sorry, but what is your IQ?

It takes time for 64-bit software and OS to be developed. Creating and selling 64-bit capable CPUs ensures that the target market is ready to recieve them once they come out. This is the same exact path that 32-bit hardware and software took.

Your post reminds me of a similar post a couple of days ago recommending people to simply by a 32-bit CPU and forget about 64-bit capable CPUs all together since no software really exists for the average consumer.

While no significant 64-bit software exist, the current generation of CPUs do allow 32-bit to run faster because today's CPUs are faster than CPUs from 4 years ago.
May 13, 2006 7:00:01 AM

Quote:

Well, maybe there are some reasons to care what a persons buying. Maybe you should care very much what other people buy, if they're buying it with your tax dollars. So when some politicain uses your tax dollars to buy a hooker, maybe you should care. When that same politician use your tax dollars to pay for his wife's Botox treatment, I would think you should care. When some illegal immigrant who doesnt pay taxes shows up to a HMO or medical clinic and recieves treatment which is then paid for out of your tax dollars, maybe you should care. When a soldier is killed, and his family paid the SGLI because the defensive system that would have save his life wasnt bought, because some defense contractor paid off some congressman to delay purchase until said contractor could complete their system and bid on the contract, you should care. When Hillary Clinton and her cronies authorize $5 billion dollars (your tax dollars) in compensatory payments to the american protectorate (protectorate, not state mind you, since citizens of protectorates arent forced to pay federal income tax) of Peurto Rico to offset the income losses resulting from the closure of the Roosevelt Roads Naval Station, just to "buy" the votes of the 1million Peurto Rican americans living in NYC, you should really care.

Now in regards to computer hardware, when the United States Armed Forces are forced to rent, not buy mind you, but rent a $299 P3 933 computer system, for $945 per year, every year, so the EDS corporations CEO can keep earning his retarded salary, you should care.

At least thats my opinion of why we should all care about what people are buying
May 13, 2006 7:39:57 AM

Really, the U.S. should just cut Porta Rica loose.
Even if the Cubans dont pick it up, I hear that Iran is looking for a place to deploy thier "peaceful nuclear products"
Then again there is a guy looking for a new training facility, because his old site ran into some problems. I'm sure the Gulf would be a better climate than Afganistan anyhow.
It's not like fiduciary responsability ment much to the republicans anyhow. They are much to busy replacing war toys, to waste money on a friendly.
May 13, 2006 7:43:06 AM

Quote:

Well, maybe there are some reasons to care what a persons buying. Maybe you should care very much what other people buy, if they're buying it with your tax dollars. So when some politicain uses your tax dollars to buy a hooker, maybe you should care. When that same politician use your tax dollars to pay for his wife's Botox treatment, I would think you should care. When some illegal immigrant who doesnt pay taxes shows up to a HMO or medical clinic and recieves treatment which is then paid for out of your tax dollars, maybe you should care. When a soldier is killed, and his family paid the SGLI because the defensive system that would have save his life wasnt bought, because some defense contractor paid off some congressman to delay purchase until said contractor could complete their system and bid on the contract, you should care. When Hillary Clinton and her cronies authorize $5 billion dollars (your tax dollars) in compensatory payments to the american protectorate (protectorate, not state mind you, since citizens of protectorates arent forced to pay federal income tax) of Peurto Rico to offset the income losses resulting from the closure of the Roosevelt Roads Naval Station, just to "buy" the votes of the 1million Peurto Rican americans living in NYC, you should really care.

Now in regards to computer hardware, when the United States Armed Forces are forced to rent, not buy mind you, but rent a $299 P3 933 computer system, for $945 per year, every year, so the EDS corporations CEO can keep earning his retarded salary, you should care.

At least thats my opinion of why we should all care about what people are buying

For a start I am not American, secondly this is a thread about why people would upgrade their computer yearly, not a thread to sprout your political POV. Way off topic man, way off topic.
May 13, 2006 7:49:01 AM

I bought my 64 bit CPU because I wanted to test 64bit technology over Linux, because Windows 64bit version is far away from completion ;) 
In other order, I bought an 64bit CPU because I love new hardware :D 
May 13, 2006 9:30:00 AM

"I'm sorry, but what is your IQ?

It takes time for 64-bit software and OS to be developed. Creating and selling 64-bit capable CPUs ensures that the target market is ready to recieve them once they come out. This is the same exact path that 32-bit hardware and software took.

Your post reminds me of a similar post a couple of days ago recommending people to simply by a 32-bit CPU and forget about 64-bit capable CPUs all together since no software really exists for the average consumer.

While no significant 64-bit software exist, the current generation of CPUs do allow 32-bit to run faster because today's CPUs are faster than CPUs from 4 years ago."

Please then enlighten Sun, HP and IBM of their failings... Their 64 bit hardware and software have been around for a bit of time, in cosmological terms.
May 13, 2006 9:37:36 AM

Quote:

For a start I am not American, secondly this is a thread about why people would upgrade their computer yearly, not a thread to sprout your political POV. Way off topic man, way off topic.

First, you clearly didn’t really read my post, as my reply is not political, though I do use the word politician, and I do specifically name one politician. It is economic, and has nothing what-so-over to do with my political POV
Secondly, you clearly did not read the topic of this thread which is not about why some one would upgrade their computer yearly, but "why do you all need 64 by 64 microprocessors"
Thirdly, my post, was in response to another’s response to the actual topic, only pointing out that there are, in fact , reasons to care about how people spend money.
Forth, your nation of origin is irrelevant since, of the 227 countries on the planet (as of the last time I checked) only 2 that I know of give money to their citizens rather than take. So, you're probably in the same boat as the rest of us.
Fifth, I am dead on topic. How? Because if less of my money was taken, then I could afford my 64 bit processor and associated accoutrements sooner. :lol: 

Peace
May 13, 2006 10:08:11 AM

Quote:

First, you clearly didn’t really read my post, as my reply is not political, though I do use the word politician, and I do specifically name one politician. It is economic, and has nothing what-so-over to do with my political POV
Secondly, you clearly did not read the topic of this thread which is not about why some one would upgrade their computer yearly, but "why do you all need 64 by 64 microprocessors"
Thirdly, my post, was in response to another’s response to the actual topic, only pointing out that there are, in fact , reasons to care about how people spend money.
Forth, your nation of origin is irrelevant since, of the 227 countries on the planet (as of the last time I checked) only 2 that I know of give money to their citizens rather than take. So, you're probably in the same boat as the rest of us.
Fifth, I am dead on topic. How? Because if less of my money was taken, then I could afford my 64 bit processor and associated accoutrements sooner. :lol: 

Peace

1. As soon as you mention tax and politicians, you are talking from your political POV

2. The OP thread was about 64 by 64 processors but also went on to talk about upgrading as well

3. That was my post you quoted.

4. Taxes are there for a reason, and I fully support governments and the taxes that they implement, they serve a useful purpose.

5. Again as per my second post in the thread, those that can afford the latest and greatest can purchase it (after taxes), if taxes are impededing your ability to follow suit, then this thread is not the suitable place to express why you think that you are taxed too much.
May 13, 2006 10:14:53 AM

Quote:
implants, Botox, child support, vintage wine,

You did say child support
May 13, 2006 11:41:45 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry, but what is your IQ?

While no significant 64-bit software exist, the current generation of CPUs do allow 32-bit to run faster because today's CPUs are faster than CPUs from 4 years ago.

+1
If you make the software before the hardware, have fun.
May 13, 2006 1:17:02 PM

Quote:

Why don't you try google, or just search the forumz, or try with any apropriate book, before asking really stupid question?
the software is software, no metter how it is compiled 8bit, 16bit,32bit, 65536bit or whatever?
It is just the addresing that affects by how many bit software you have. If you are running 16bit software, than you are limited to 65536 bytes allocation, 32bit to 4GB, 64bit to 16384TB, the current AMD K8 have 40 bit allocation-up to 1TB per var, the P4 with EM64T can 34 or 38bits, I am not sure.

This have nothing with the how many bit the hardware buses are.
Widther bus helps to improve the bandwidth. For example, the on-die memory controller on the K8 s939 is 128bit, while its architecture is 64bit.
There are K8 s754 with 64bit on-die MC and everything else is same as the s939. The s939 is providing up to 6.4GB/s theoretical bandwidth, while the s754 3.2GB/s. The same chips have 16bit width FSB(HTT), the s754 is 1600MHz full-duplex, while the s939 is 2GHz full-duplex.
400MHz = 400,000,000 cycles per second;
64bit = 64 lines that used for traffic in parallel at once;
400,000,000 * 64 = 25,6Gbits transfered in one second;
25,6Gb/s = 3.2GB/s -> 1byte=8bits
400,000,000 * 128 = 53,2Gbits/s -> the 128bit IMC K8 teoretical bandwidth
53,2Gb/s = 6.4 GB/s;
1600MHz*16bits*2(full-duplex)=6.4GB/s
2000MHz*16bits*2(full-duplex)=8GB/s
So what do you think now, why the 64bit processor have 16bit FSB, and 128bit IMC? Does it means that the K8 has wasted 64bit mem bus, while it needs 4 times widther FSB?
May 13, 2006 3:22:34 PM

look folks the next gereation of OS microsoft puts out is going to be 32 bit software!. the latest and greatest dvd is going to be 32 bit., now you all do not see the the problem here do you?. where is the inscentive to make 64 bit devices and 64 bit software?. you really think all those big companies want to loose out there butts if the 64 bit technology is rolling out in 6 months to a year?. you are throwing your money away to damn soon!. yes it is your money and yes you can do as you wish!. if your intent is to pay the way to the future it's not going to be any time soon !.
i see people throwing 300 to 500 dollars for a 45 dollar problem!. but hey you got that much to throw at wim go for it just keep in mind when you do you keep prices high and not real need for innovation!. (Real Innovation) but hey they will keep changing the sockets every 6 months or so to keep you buying lol!. this is what i see. if you don'y oh well !.
May 13, 2006 3:29:05 PM

Quote:
look folks the next gereation of OS microsoft puts out is going to be 32 bit software!. the latest and greatest dvd is going to be 32 bit., now you all do not see the the problem here do you?. where is the inscentive to make 64 bit devices and 64 bit software?. you really think all those big companies want to loose out there butts if the 64 bit technology is rolling out in 6 months to a year?. you are throwing your money away to damn soon!. yes it is your money and yes you can do as you wish!. if your intent is to pay the way to the future it's not going to be any time soon !.
i see people throwing 300 to 500 dollars for a 45 dollar problem!. but hey you got that much to throw at wim go for it just keep in mind when you do you keep prices high and not real need for innovation!. (Real Innovation) but hey they will keep changing the sockets every 6 months or so to keep you buying lol!. this is what i see. if you don'y oh well !.

IT education, that is what you are missing in order to clear up some things that you don't understand.
betwen the 64bit devices?!?!?!? and the 64bit software!??!!?!?? there is no connection, get it?
how one device is working does not matter. it matters the connection interfece on both sides, the device and to what that device is connected(cpu, northbridge, southbridge).
For example, the graphics card might be 256bit with 256bit memory interface(mine is 128bit with 128bit mem interface) and connected via 64bit AGP to a 32bit processor. DO YOU UNDERSTAND?
May 13, 2006 3:43:47 PM

I'm going to reply one more time and then I'm not returning to this thread. It's purely ignorant and a waste of time as the originator is merely trying to have an argument and that's exactly what he's getting.

First, it's not about 32bit VS 64bit. If the Athlon64 was instead, the Athlon32 with all of the performance it offers, I'd have bought one (or more since I've 4 up and running right now) anyway. I like the way it performs and with Dual Core (32 or 64 bit), I like it even better. Same goes for the Intel "D Series" processors.

Having said that, I've been running 64bit Linux for more than a year now and have been very pleased with its performance (not to mention security, freedom, control over my PC, etc...).

Somebody mentioned Microsoft's next OS being 32bit. Who cares? I refuse to allow MS to dictate my computing needs nor capabilities. Like I implied above. These are my computers, not Microsoft's.

Free market society, get what you want. Ain't freedom to choose GREAT?!?!
May 13, 2006 4:11:25 PM

Quote:

first off, get some grammar lessons. next, you just dont fucking get it do you... the cpu isnt 300 dollars cause its 64 bit dipshit. windows vista is 64 bit, but again not too many people care. if the a64 was a 32bit chip, it wouldve cost just as much and wouldve sold just as many chips. but honestly, i doubt you'll get it, as you seem to be a moron...
May 13, 2006 6:27:00 PM

attack the grammar then the spelling ?says alot about you!. a video game costs 45 dollars and yes everyone is throwing between 300 to 500 to play A video game. lol Now who's the moron idiot!. still did not get the jest o of it huh!. just how many generations of 64 bit cpus you gonna invest in till you get it?.
May 13, 2006 6:47:47 PM

Quote:

-scrub
May 13, 2006 7:40:11 PM

Quote:

Mmmmmm... strippers.
May 13, 2006 8:32:47 PM

:D 

I swear when I see crysis ......next year , after my eye orgasm wears off ....I feel really obliged to throw away my 2000 $ at stuff thats 'just' meant for playing a "stupid" game.........
LOL because its MY MONEY and because I LIKE THAT DAMN CRAP.
Its my fucking hobby and noone has to say me what I do with my money.
goddamn
What do you say about people who spend 500$ a month on drugs?
Nothing huh
But a honest man/woman who want to spend his/her hard earned cash on something what they want IS NOT A CRIME. :evil: 
May 13, 2006 11:53:17 PM

Quote:
attack the grammar then the spelling ?says alot about you!. a video game costs 45 dollars and yes everyone is throwing between 300 to 500 to play A video game. lol Now who's the moron idiot!. still did not get the jest o of it huh!. just how many generations of 64 bit cpus you gonna invest in till you get it?.

wow holy shit... i never realized that i bought 64 bit cpus so that i could play games. thank you for that realization. you know, if you had an ounce of knowledge in the comp world, you would at least say why do we get speed upgrades every two years. but no, you use a feature that almost nobody uses or cares about... by the way, youre a moron.
May 13, 2006 11:56:26 PM

What a sh!tty thread. Let it die.
May 14, 2006 2:03:21 AM

Quote:

wow holy ****... i never realized that i bought 64 bit cpus so that i could play games. thank you for that realization. you know, if you had an ounce of knowledge in the comp world, you would at least say why do we get speed upgrades every two years. but no, you use a feature that almost nobody uses or cares about... by the way, youre a moron.

so you bought yours to run a 64 bit OS and office??. Wow brilliant!.

your the type that would buy a 64 oz bag of mm's and open and find you have 32 Oz of mm's and 32 Oz of plastic mm's and keed buying lol!. hell each new bag gives you 10% more then they come out with anew bag with 64 oz's of the plastic m&m's charge you more and you still buy damn what a smart person you are lol!. and you ahve the gall to call me moron!.
May 14, 2006 6:53:04 AM

Treads are always funny. I have Amd 64 3000+ With windows xp pro and windows 64 Pro. Each one has there pros and cons. Most stuff work on windows 64 Pro. With a few 64 bit programs right now and some of the older games will not work on Windows 64 pro. But I m not the Noobs who upgrade very 1 year. Right now I m waiting for Quad core cpus.
May 14, 2006 8:12:55 AM

Most versions of unix are natively 64 bit. It took quite a bit of coding to get Linux to work in a 32 bit environment. (Thanks, Mr. Thorvaald...)

Personally my next upgrade will be to a 64 bit processor simply so I can dual boot into Solaris 10 and Sun's very nice new interface. Then I can have at home what I'm used to at work.

So shove off, matey... 64 bit computing's been around a long time, and ain't gonna go away just because you think its a stupid waste. Obviously on you, 64 bit technology would be a waste, personally I think that on you 16 bit would be a waste. You need a good dose of 8086 or 8080 reality to cross-check against your rants.

AAArgh...
May 14, 2006 8:22:54 AM

Quote:
You need a good dose of 8086 or 8080 reality to cross-check against your rants.

8086 is 16bit, 8080 never heard about.
C64 is more than enough, I will give mine to chuck as a gift.
May 14, 2006 9:40:00 AM

My 5 year old computer has a problem with it's mobo capacitors.
What non 64 bit chip is a better deal than this?
May 14, 2006 10:11:17 AM

Here what funny I seen the same Dumb Morons posting how 16 bit vers 32 back in the 80. Yes it took a few years for 32 bit to be main setup. But if Intel or Amd did not chang.e We would still be in 16 bit games. I think it kinda shoves the foot in Intel mouth when they seid we did not need 64 bit. But Amd force them to change and I think it was a good choice. Now if Mirosoft get there head out of there rear we will have a newer verson of windows.
May 14, 2006 11:04:10 AM

Quote:
Here what funny I seen the same Dumb Morons posting how 16 bit vers 32 back in the 80. Yes it took a few years for 32 bit to be main setup. But if Intel or Amd did not chang.e We would still be in 16 bit games. I think it kinda shoves the foot in Intel mouth when they seid we did not need 64 bit. But Amd force them to change and I think it was a good choice. Now if Mirosoft get there head out of there rear we will have a newer verson of windows.

No...4 years ago Intel were absolutly right when they said that 64bit transition is not needed. They had 64bit chips before AMD-Itanium.
We have 64bit mainstream chips for more than 4 years, but we have no 64bit software, drivers and almost no appropriate OSes for mainstream, so the 64bit extensions are useless. I see 0% perfromance increase running 64bit WinXP over 32bit WinXP on my Athlon64. I have no 64bit drivers for my TV/FM Tuner and Fax-modem. There are many apps that don't run on x64.
x86-64 was just a marketing trick and Intel was forced to trade the SSE3 for this useless for the past 4 years technology. Just becouse there are so many uneducated people who thinks that the 64bit CPU runs much more faster than the 32bit.
May 14, 2006 1:06:52 PM

Quote:

first off all you have to do is look back at the day of the 386 and early years of the 486's no need to go back to 8086 & 8088 but if you want to fine you remember why the 286 died on the vine real quick?. so techie back then proved the 8086 with its co processor out computed the 286 with it's coprocessor thus came about cpu bench mark software!. and if you truely remember those days and not blow smoke up our butts you would remember the 486 vl and the 486 vlb that's a 32 bit video card slot with 16 bit isa slots in case you for got this was done to bet highly graphical word processing programs to run, sorta like today and the pci-e slot and video games. its just back then nobody took the bait and they died on the vine faster than the 286 but then of coarse Mr. Gate's proved to big biz. the need to have 32 bit computers! can you recall why?. well if not 16 bit cumputing was great for real time computing !. but could not handle protected mode nor could you have more than on app runing at the same time! thus was born the 3 modes of computing. big biz need their data protected from outages you remember the time you spent on a paper and the computer crashed and had to redue the whole thing over!. it was this very thing the brought about 32 bit software!. now where is this need for 64 bit? why would big biz want to switch over? right now the 64 bit processors are only using half the pipes. video games are driving force behind the 64's just like graphical office products was the reason behind the vl's and the vlb's the difference here is the video games are truely stunning and there is a large hardcore gamer base. thats why Oblivian and a few other games out there came out with suh extremely high end spec's not so much for you the gamer but for the hardware vendors due to flat sells and why they invest in games!.
May 14, 2006 1:56:39 PM

Quote:
My 5 year old computer has a problem with it's mobo capacitors.
What non 64 bit chip is a better deal than this?

well i think you are refering to the paper caps that regulate the voltage on your memory slots ? but anyway you could go to radio shack and buy new ones and do 1 of three ways either desolder and resolder them into the motherboard. piggy back them to the exsisting caps or use a nibbler to cut the old caps off then solder the new ones to the old leads!. but i get the idea that you want a guarenty (at least one yr). and they still make a mainboard for your exisiting hardware!. but then again a shiny 64bit is enticing.

but then again you maybe using bad caps to justify the need to pay for a new rig. good one i might add.
May 14, 2006 5:01:40 PM

although i fell for the pci-express joke. being that the pci and the pci-e are two entirely different animals!. and was named so to make the transition more paletteable for unwary.what i assumed was the pci-e was in fact designed to replace the aging agp port for video. another words designed for video which way way off base. Pci express was in fact designed and implemented for the new dvd formats and why the push for serial hard drives. the video cards were an after thought what they did was added a multiplexer to the video card to work on a pci-e bus i.e how many clock ticks does it take to mutiplex a single line of data to drive a monitor any way. being not much delay. the performance gain for the pci-express is from the very nature drives read and write their data, either they have one laser or one inductor to read and write anyway so it does make sence to go from paralle to serial for the bus and give a huge incentive for the corprate world to upgrade. now with that being said the performce gains or losses will be coming from the dma rather than the general cpu's. (the dma will be creating the addresses for storage and directing which device gets or writes the information. so the focus is not on the cpu it's self but on the serial bus that pci-exprees actually is. hell i am going to have to check and see if they even make a pci-e 16 for a 64-32 processor for amd they would for intel since they did not jump on the bandwagon right away although i think they are seeing their error i think you have to buy a AMD 64x64 bit cpu in order to get a pci-e x16 would make sense.
May 14, 2006 5:42:38 PM

Quote:
although i fell for the pci-express joke. being that the pci and the pci-e are two entirely different animals!. and was named so to make the transition more paletteable for unwary.what i assumed was the pci-e was in fact designed to replace the aging agp port for video. another words designed for video which way way off base. Pci express was in fact designed and implemented for the new dvd formats and why the push for serial hard drives. the video cards were an after thought what they did was added a multiplexer to the video card to work on a pci-e bus i.e how many clock ticks does it take to mutiplex a single line of data to drive a monitor any way. being not much delay. the performance gain for the pci-express is from the very nature drives read and write their data, either they have one laser or one inductor to read and write anyway so it does make sence to go from paralle to serial for the bus and give a huge incentive for the corprate world to upgrade. now with that being said the performce gains or losses will be coming from the dma rather than the general cpu's. (the dma will be creating the addresses for storage and directing which device gets or writes the information. so the focus is not on the cpu it's self but on the serial bus that pci-exprees actually is. hell i am going to have to check and see if they even make a pci-e 16 for a 64-32 processor for amd they would for intel since they did not jump on the bandwagon right away although i think they are seeing their error i think you have to buy a AMD 64x64 bit cpu in order to get a pci-e x16 would make sense.

ugh , F'n scrubs

:?
May 14, 2006 10:27:43 PM

chuck44, you only think......and you are doing it WRONG!
Try to educate first, and than start thinking about the things you are wondering. Than come here and ask something you are not sure if you have understood to clear up. It is a kind of stupid, thinking loud and wrong about the things and the things that does not exist in the way you are thinking.
May 14, 2006 10:57:10 PM

What are you on?
!