testing dial up modem over VoIP

Is it possible to test a dial up modem connection using a VoIP phone? I'm
thinking that it's not as I can't seem to get a modem in the house to
handshake.

Thanks

Chris Eilersen
chris@eilersens.com
6 answers Last reply
More about testing dial modem voip

    NO.

    "Chris Eilersen" <eilerc51@chartermi.net> wrote in message
    > Is it possible to test a dial up modem connection using a VoIP phone? I'm
    > thinking that it's not as I can't seem to get a modem in the house to
    > handshake.
    >
    > Thanks

    > Chris Eilersen
    > chris@eilersens.com

    "Chris Eilersen" <eilerc51@chartermi.net> wrote in message
    > Is it possible to test a dial up modem connection using a VoIP phone? I'm
    > thinking that it's not as I can't seem to get a modem in the house to
    > handshake.

    So IP telephony systems do support modems, but they dont use an IP phone -
    the speech compression system tends to scramble the signal.

    If you had a phone set to do G.711 (which is 64k of data, maybe 80k or more
    with overhead) you may get somewhere, since that is the same digitisation
    used in a conventional TDM pbx - and your modem has to work with that....

    --
    Regards

    In article <u_3sd.335$zS1.289@fe05.lga> "Chris Eilersen"
    <eilerc51@chartermi.net> writes:

    >Is it possible to test a dial up modem connection using a VoIP phone? I'm
    >thinking that it's not as I can't seem to get a modem in the house to
    >handshake.

    You can't use a conventional dial-up modem over any compressed VOIP line
    and even G.711 uncompressed is going to be a challenge unless you've got
    voice priority (802.1p/q) working end-to-end.

    I couldn't even get a modem to work thru a Sipura 3000 going from the POTS
    port out the PSTN port. This is implimented in the Sipura as a VOIP
    connection between the two ports inside the box.

    I've completely given up on being able to connect modems via VOIP.

    Mike Schumann

    "Chris Eilersen" <eilerc51@chartermi.net> wrote in message
    > Is it possible to test a dial up modem connection using a VoIP phone? I'm
    > thinking that it's not as I can't seem to get a modem in the house to
    > handshake.
    >
    > Thanks

    > Chris Eilersen
    > chris@eilersens.com

  5. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

    Yes it is possible, but the tricky part is keeping the voIP conenction
    solid enough. Be sure that you are running g711u law and not g729.
    That is the first point to start.
  6. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.voice-over-ip (More info?)

    BK80 wrote:
    > Yes it is possible, but the tricky part is keeping the voIP conenction
    > solid enough. Be sure that you are running g711u law and not g729.
    > That is the first point to start.

    Well there is also X-lite iLBC ..

    oh and don't forget GSM

    WHat I do not get is why there does not seem to be any hardware phones
    that support them .. beyond professional office phones like Snom..

    (not snom supports GSM but no iLBC yet anyway)

    Anyone know phones that support these two standard codec's .. I figure
    since snom is based on linux and is pretty much a open phone that they
    will support it before the otheres..

    m.

VPN Modem Dial Up Connection VoIP Networking