Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 install "NTLRD" is missing

Last response: in Windows 7
April 20, 2011 12:58:05 AM

Hello!

Well i just burned an ISO file of windows 7 to a DVD disc.. But when i booting up the computer it says that "NTLRD" is missing ? im sure i got the 1st boot set to CD/DVD. Im trying to this on a empty HDD.

When i test it on my other HDD that got windows installed on it just skips the cd boot "press any key to start the cd" part. I dont get the "NTRLD".

Would be cool if you guys could help me out. :o 

/Robb
a b $ Windows 7
April 20, 2011 6:31:04 AM

The DVD you made isn't bootable so the system doesn't recognise it and goes on to seek a bootable system on the hard disk - hence the NTLDR message.

You've made a coaster so try another one but first check that the burning software you used actually has the facility to burn an ISO image.

a c 228 $ Windows 7
April 20, 2011 11:59:21 AM

You'll know if you burned your ISO correctly by checking the DVD. If it just has a single ISO file on it, you did it wrong. If it has a bunch of files on it, then you most likely did it right.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
April 20, 2011 12:20:46 PM

either use buring software which reconises iso images or mount the image using deamon tools and copy it :D 
a b $ Windows 7
April 20, 2011 1:28:34 PM

+1 to both the above. ImgBurn makes it so simple whereas Nero makes heavy weather of teh job and frequently fails.

April 20, 2011 2:18:50 PM

i agree... another +1
April 20, 2011 3:36:07 PM

alright , well it ONLY has the iso file. Nothing else. Ive tried to burn 2 cds..one in Nero express -> only install files no rar... then one in Ashampoo burning studio 10 , as "create CD/DVD/BLUERAY".. i just moved over the iso file ? was that wrong ?

How should i do then ?

Thx for you answers guys!
a b $ Windows 7
April 20, 2011 4:05:44 PM

I binned Nero years ago but if I remember rightly, there's a tab named ISO and you need to start there to create an ISO from the file and then add the other files in afterwards. While you're about it, you may as well slipstream Service Pack 1 in for good measure.

I still recommend ImgBurn for this job - free of charge downloads are available from http://www.imgburn.com

April 20, 2011 4:11:57 PM

hmm maybe im just stupid , "and you need to start there to create an ISO from the file and then add the other files in afterwards"

w7 is in a iso file already ?

I downloaded IMGBURN :) 
a b $ Windows 7
April 20, 2011 4:15:48 PM

The ISO you need is a small file and it can be ISOlated (no pun intended) by using ISOBuster for which you need to Google. I don't think W7 is constructed any differently from XP in this regard but others may correct me on that.

April 20, 2011 4:43:32 PM

Just files and folders too small for my eyes magnifier doesn't seem to work but burn using nero in the normal way as an iso is a single file only as already pointed out unless you've used iso buster or virtualcd\dvd to view files.
April 20, 2011 4:50:25 PM

Well this is the "extracted" files from the iso :) 
a c 228 $ Windows 7
April 20, 2011 4:55:50 PM

Killzone22 said:
alright , well it ONLY has the iso file. Nothing else. Ive tried to burn 2 cds..one in Nero express -> only install files no rar... then one in Ashampoo burning studio 10 , as "create CD/DVD/BLUERAY".. i just moved over the iso file ? was that wrong ?

How should i do then ?

Thx for you answers guys!

Bypass the opening wizard in nero. In the top menu bar near "file/edit/..." I think there is a setting for "burn image". Select this, then point it at your ISO file. Otherwise, if the wizard has a "burn image", use it.

Ahh, just seen you downloaded imageburn. I use this all the time and it works great.
a c 228 $ Windows 7
April 20, 2011 5:43:46 PM

It looks ok. Here are the steps needed:

1. Load ImgBurn.
2. Switch to 'Write' mode.
3. Insert Disc in Burner.
4. Select Image to burn.
5. Click 'Write' button.

Easy!
April 21, 2011 12:05:37 AM

burning did go okey!! its finally bootable :D  now another problem.."suck" :( 

When it comes to select drive you want to install windows on.. It doesnt find any...but i can browse on my pc for drives and there i can find my hdd :S fucked up ....
a b $ Windows 7
April 21, 2011 7:12:30 AM

The drive is probably alright but XP can't see it if it needs a SATA driver. Try again and this time, as soon as the files start to load, hit Funcction 6 and later when the system stalls and asks for a driver on - yes, really - a floppy disk :D  - just hit Enter. That forces XP to look within itself for more drivers and if you're lucky, it will find one. If it can't, you need to find the driver and put it on a floppy disk or use an IDE drive.

a c 228 $ Windows 7
April 21, 2011 11:41:24 AM

Saga Lout said:

The drive is probably alright but XP can't see it if it needs a SATA driver. Try again and this time, as soon as the files start to load, hit Funcction 6 and later when the system stalls and asks for a driver on - yes, really - a floppy disk :D  - just hit Enter. That forces XP to look within itself for more drivers and if you're lucky, it will find one. If it can't, you need to find the driver and put it on a floppy disk or use an IDE drive.

He can also go into the bios and switch the SATA mode from RAID/AHCI to IDE then he won't need to go through the F6 process.
April 21, 2011 2:49:55 PM

Hawkeye22 .. i tried that and its set to IDE. It works fine on this hdd no problem at all , but it just doesnt on the other disk. Anyways bought a "1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ" and it will arrive tomorrow, was rly cheap so.. I'm gonna buy 2 ssd 120gb disks when i get my new motherboard/cpu/ram after this summer.. Just want to get W7 running now so i can use "nvidia 3d" :) 

btw tried your idea "Saga lout" but it didnt work haha :D !
!